Game Warden

Let's talk Mikumi National Park. (Tz)

4 posts in this topic

So who has been, where did you stay, how was the accommodation and tourist infrastructure? What sightings did you have? What are your recommendations for Mikumi National Park? Feel free to post anything which you think will be of interest to those visiting below, including photos.

I visited Mikumi in July 2005 staying 3 nights at Foxes Safari Camp and incorporating a day trip to Udzungwa Mountains National Park.

The road transfer from Dar to Mikumi took about 4 hours and nearing Morogoro the Uluguru mountains provided a scenic backdrop.

Foxes Camp is set on a small hill or rocky outcrop with the lounge/dining/bar at the top and comfortable tented suites around the slopes( have scanned a few photos to give an idea)

gallery_6223_494_57589.jpg

Our tent had an expansive view over the Mkata floodplains to a distant waterhole ( man made). In the distance there were spectacular mountain ranges all around.

The wildlife was more abundant and varied than I had anticipated seeing giraffe,

gallery_6223_494_3685.jpg

elephant,

gallery_6223_494_42701.jpg

buffalo, lion, reedbuck, eland, zebra, wildebeest,

gallery_6223_494_5524.jpg

jackal, baboon, vervet, impala and duiker plus good birdlife.

The park’s main problem is that it is bisected by the TanZam Highway but when you get out and about in the park you of course are well away and not aware of it.

The drive to Udzungwa was through the town of Mikumi with it’s bustling market.

Udzungwa is part of the eastern arc and is home to the rare Iringa red colobus, the Sanje crested mangebey and the Udzungwa forest partridge. The park also has the Sanje waterfall with a drop of 170 metres which is spectacular.

gallery_6223_494_89917.jpg

The climb up through the forest was quite steep at the start and fairly arduous and I never did see any of the sought after rareties. The closest I got to the colobus was to pass under trees where they had spent the previous night. I reckon I could still recognise that pungent smell of red colobus urine!

When we got to the top of the waterfall the view across the sugar fields, plains, to the Great Ruaha River and the Selous ecosystm made it all worthwhile.

gallery_6223_494_51098.jpg

Mikumi/Udzwunga made a very enjoyable start to my Tanzanian Safari that year.

Mikumi was the first nafional park in my life.

I went there from dar in a luxury bus taking 6 hrs to reach there.

There is cheap accomodation outside the park around 10 $ but it is around 2-3 km far . Inside the park there are bandas 50 $ pppn .

Park fee is 30 $ pppn. Public campsite costs 20 $ provided you jave your own tents.

As for the wild life all are present except rhino,, ostrich,,

I saw ....lions, elephants, , zebra, giraffes, hippos, crocks, baboons, vervet monkey, eland, wildebeest, impala, ,thomson gazelle, warthogs, hares,

Hyena, cheetahs and leopard could not be spotted that day.

Its a cheap, easy accessible park whoch doesn't require much planning

Specially recommended for those who stay in dar es salaam.

We visited Mikumi NP in August, 2014. This was the first park for game drives after walking up to Sanje Falls in Udzungwa NP. We visited Ruaha and the Selous afterwards.

I must say that Mikumi turned out to be our favorite. The sheer volume of the large mammal species was spectacular. Huge herds of elephants, buffalo, and giraffe. We had two leopards and many lion. The volume of traffic was similar to the other parks, that is, other vehicles were few and far between. The topography is fairly open so it lends to good viewing and photography.

We stayed in a private mobile camp just across the highway from the entrance.

The lower amount of traffic in these southern parks is a real plus. I think we are spoiled now and will return.

1 person likes this