See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

How do you capture the magical light?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 08:24 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

How about an update on this topic, now that some of @russell's photos no longer show up: share with us your magical light photos and tell us your technique for taking them.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#22 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

How about an update on this topic, now that some of @russell's photos no longer show up: share with us your magical light photos and tell us your technique for taking them.

~ @Game Warden

Am I alone in not having any idea what “magical light” means?

I've never read this term before. Google isn't available here or I'd look it up.

I apologize for my ignorance.

Tom K.

#23 russell

russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

@Game Warden

Could you check where the images were hosted as I can't edit the post? I may have some time Thursday night to try and correct them, apologies, but just very busy at the moment!

• Game Warden likes this

Au revior ST - its been a pleasure, see you in 2015!

#24 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

There you go @Tom Kellie (extract from wikipedia)

In photography, the golden hour (sometimes known as magic hour, especially incinematography) is a period shortly after sunrise or before sunset during which daylight is redder and softer compared to when the Sun is higher in the sky.

Overview[edit]

200px-PlanckianLocus.png

The color temperature varies by time of day. During sunrise and sunset, color temperature tends to be around 2,000 K, during the "golden hour" it is around 3,500 K and during midday it is around 5,500 K (the color temperature can vary significantly based on altitude, latitude and weather conditions).

When the sun is near the horizon, sunlight travels through a greater depth of atmosphere, reducing the intensity of the direct light, so that more of the illumination comes from indirect light from the sky (Thomas 1973, 9–13), reducing the lighting ratio. More blue light is scattered, so if the sun is present, its light appears more reddish. In addition, the sun's small angle with the horizon produces longer shadows.

The term "hour" is used figuratively; the effect has no clearly defined duration and varies according to season and latitude. The character of the lighting is determined by the sun'saltitude, and the time for the sun to move from the horizon to a specified altitude depends on a location's latitude and the time of year (Bermingham 2003, 214). In Los Angeles, California, at an hour after sunrise or an hour before sunset, the sun has an altitude of about 10°–12°.[1] For a location closer to the equator, the same altitude is reached in less than an hour, and for a location farther from the equator, the altitude is reached in more than one hour. For a location sufficiently far from the equator, the sun may not reach an altitude of 10°, and the golden hour lasts for the entire day in certain seasons.

In the middle of the day, the bright overhead sun can create strong highlights and darkshadows. The degree to which overexposure can occur varies because different types of film and digital cameras have different dynamic ranges. This harsh lighting problem is particularly important in portrait photography, where a fill flash is often necessary to balance lighting across the subject's face or body, filling in strong shadows that are usually considered undesirable.

Because the contrast is less during the golden hour, shadows are less dark, and highlights are less likely to be overexposed. Inlandscape photography, the warm color of the low sun is often considered desirable to enhance the colours of the scene.

Film director Terrence Malick has used this technique in films such asDays of Heaven,[2] The New World, and The Tree of Life (in the case of The New World, the entire film was shot in this hour or blue hour). The Robert Redford directed film The Milagro Beanfield War made extensive use of the golden hour in its location filming.

Edited by Earthian, 29 September 2015 - 09:57 AM.

• TonyQ likes this
Lives of great men all remind us
   We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
   Footprints on the sands of time.

#25 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

@russell Not sure where they were hosted, probably on a defunct website? No problem, if you have time, let's see some of your examples again.

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#26 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

~ @Earthian

That's very thoughtful of you to post that.

Once I read it, I recognized the phenomenon, but had never heard the terms which describe it.

It has been the case that in all visits to both Meru and Samburu I've been out on game drives during the ‘magic hour’.

The resulting images have the color and luminosity effects as described in the article you posted.

Where I'm headed tomorrow, Sabi Sands, apparently also offers game drives during the ‘magic hour’.

It's one of Safaritalk's nicest features that members will take the time to patiently help out those of us with less experience and understanding.

Many thanks, @Earthian!

Tom K.

• Peter Connan, Earthian and offshorebirder like this

#27 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

@Tom Kellie

All the best @Tom Kellie and have a safe flight and happy viewing.

Look forward to your TR.

• Tom Kellie likes this
Lives of great men all remind us
   We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
   Footprints on the sands of time.

#28 russell

russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

@Game Warden

Can you see in the original post where it links to when in the edit function?

Au revior ST - its been a pleasure, see you in 2015!

#29 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

@russell It was from your old photoshelter account.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.