Game Warden

Let's talk Gonarezhou National Park. (Zim)

16 posts in this topic

So who has been, where did you stay, how was the accomodation and tourist infrastructure? What sightings did you have? What are your recommendations for Gonarezhou National Park? Feel free to post anything which you think will be of interest to those visiting below, including photos.

As some of you will know I was in Gonarezhou September 2010 (Trip report http://safaritalk.net/index.php?showtopic=5660&st=0&p=42247&hl=zimbabwe&fromsearch=1entry42247)

We did mobile camping in the park and saw no one else during our time there. Not sure if there any lodges IN the park, I think they are on the periphery. The Malilangwe Wildlife reserve is adjacent to the park and has accommodation I believe

Loads of elephants and plenty of other wildlife around but not always easy to find ( except the elephants). Very wild and, to me, wonderful and I would certainly go back , but it is not the park for the novice safarigoer, in my opinion , as sightings might disappoint.

1 person likes this

Matt,

I should realy have Ant posting, as per your suggestion. He mainly operates in Gonarezhou.

As Wilddog said, there is accomodation in Malilangwe, namely Singita Pamushana, a very luxurious property. I have been told that wildlife in Malilangwe is really prolific, also thanks to the money invested by Paul Tudor Jones in restoring the area. In particular, lots of black and whire rhinos (the whites have been re-introduced; maybe some of the black rhino too).

Frankfurt Zoological Society are involved there. They have done the most recent aerial surveys of the park http://www.zgf.de/download/966/Report_Gonarezhou_Zinave_Aerial+Survey_2009.pdf and when we were there there we saw notices asking in particular about wildog sightings (none while I was there sadly).

Their involvement in the park was launched officially only recently. http://www.zgf.de/?projectId=105&id=128&blogPostId=102&language=en.

I agree with Paulo that some input from Ant would be very helpful to give a fuller picture.

So who has been, where did you stay, how was the accomodation and tourist infrastructure? What sightings did you have? What are your recommendations for Gonarezhou National Park? Feel free to post anything which you think will be of interest to those visiting below, including photos.

Great to see Gonarehzou getting a little more exposure through this forum.

Gonarezhou is arguably the most scenic park in southern Africa and is certainly the 'wildest' with very limited tourism development in the park. This being the case, one of the park's greatest attributes is its wild and remote wilderness character which we hope can be preserved through far sighted conservation stategies such as the Gonarezhou National Park Management Plan which incorporates a sustainable tourism programme.

Game wise the park has increasing game numbers and over the course of a 4 night safari one is very likely to see all of the following: chacma baboon, vervet monkey, dwarf, banded and slender mongooses, grey duiker, klipspringer, grysbok, steenbok, bushbuck, impala, nyala, kudu, zebra, wildebeest, warthog, buffalo, elephant, hippopotamus & crocodile and possibly if one is lucky, leopard, wild dog and lion. We have only had one lion sighting in the last three years but regularly hear them and fairly frequently see leopard. We have had two sightings of wild dogs.

1 person likes this

Just home from another magical few days in the park where "we" got some great sightings of leopard, lion and wild dog in addition to the 'usual' denizens of the bush. the park is looking incredible with a green carpet (thanks to some rain a few weeks back) and the majority of trees are out in fresh green leaf. we had some great walks and saw some old friends. sadly one old friend, an elephant bull we know quite well from the Chilojo area won't be seen again as we found him dead in the runde riverbed on the 18th Oct. no obvious signs of any injuries and all completely intact. owing to the location deep in the park poisoning is very unlikely so perhaps the heat and dryness have eaxcted their toll - survival of the fittest....will be heading back down there this weekend for two last safaris of the season. Every trip something new...

6 people like this

Welcome back to ST @@Ant Kaschula

I know that @@Anita had a wonderful time with you and Doug in Gonarezhou. I hope to visit some day.

Yes, welcome "home" @@Ant Kaschula, really hope you get time to join in some more Zim discussions on ST. Seems like a steady stream of Safaritalkers heading your way :)

I know that @@Anita had a wonderful time with you and Doug in Gonarezhou. I hope to visit some day.

There you are @@Paolo you do have some ideas of another safari! ;)

There you are @@Paolo you do have some ideas of another safari! ;)

Apparently, there might be three or four places in my wishlist ....... :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Welcome back to ST @@Ant Kaschula am already in planning mode for a return. Thank you for such a wonderful safari in such a beautiful place. Am sure there are others who are very interested in knowing more about the park. Hope to keep seeing you around here.

Any photos showing the landscape of the park?

So who has been to Gonarezhou recently and can upload some photos and descriptions of things to see?

@@Game Warden I owe a lot of pictures here and to start my TR- Am just all over the place with too many balls up in the air but getting there asap. I have a 6 days deadline anyways now.

1 person likes this

It was on the wishlist already, but now it is nudging its way towards the top of the list. All I need to do is somehow introduce a coupl emore months into the year and I'll be fine.

1 person likes this

I just loved Gonorezhou as you can all see in my trip report. I was quite happy with the wildlife that i saw. There were plenty of nyala,greater kudu, duiker,impala, steenbok,grysbok,waterbuck,bushbuck, and impala. We did see a herd of 60 eland. and yes even pairs of majestic,regal sable antelope. There were plenty of baboons,warthogs,baboons,vervet monkeys, and some wildebeest. I did see hippos including a huge male crossing the road in the daytime when we were driving in. I also saw many dwarf mongoose. There were also plenty of crocodiles.

I have to say again that the scenery was some of the most dramatic that I've ever seen. The baobab trees were just magnificient. I truly admire and respect Ant Kaschula my guide and host for his dedication to the park,and particularly to conserving the baobab trees. I do agree that Gonorezhou might not be the best National park for the novice safari goer who just wants to tick off the big five,but if you've been on safari at least once before it's one of the finest locations in Africa. You'll have a gigantic park all to yourself. It has an outstanding wilderness vibe. Ant Kaschula is an outstanding guide, and Doug Mcdonald who leads tours there enjoys an outstanding reputation within the safari industry. I urge all Safaritalkers to visit there,an d feel that it would combine particularly well with Pamushana or for the areas in SAVE such as Sango which have outstanding scenery,birdlife,and wildlife which are now increasingly open to tourism. I could also combine from areas in Zimbabwe like Matobos,etc. Please consider that Sango is a beautiful,luxurious lodge which is far cheaper than Pamushana.