W is for...

Game Warden

Who will start the ball rolling with an African image - the subject of which begins with W?

White Throated Bee Eater, Meru National Park, 2011

gallery_5545_491_114565.jpg

That's something I never expected to see, water skiing!

That's something I never expected to see, water skiing!

Yes, they didn't mention that one in the brochures! Fortunately we weren't in a mokoro at the time. :)

You'd have to paddle pretty fast in a mokoro to get the water skier up out of the water, I'd think! :unsure::lol:

• 1 month later...
Alex The Lion

Wild Dog - Okavango Delta 2010

Only a couple of weeks before Alwyn and Team up again for some safari time!

wild-dog-low-angle.jpg

• 1 year later...

Woodland Kingfisher

South Luangwa National Park - Novemebr 2012

WoodlandKingfisher1.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

@@fmoraal That one could also have been posted in B for Buccaneer's and C for Cintsa :)

But back to W - has nobody posted any wildebeest yet??

13326846743_c4fb9150a2_b.jpg

Wonderfully ne(W)born Wildie

post-5364-0-66377700-1427209635_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Waterbuck

South Luangwa NP, November 2015

post-6761-0-50015000-1453725703_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
Peter Connan

Oops

Edited by Peter Connan

@@ovenbird I have to say that the photo of a walia ibex is just stunning. The walia ibex has long been high on my list of dream animals which I'd love to see. :):D

@@optig thanks for the kind remarks. We went to Ethiopia for the birds and came back in love with the mammals! If you get the chance do not hesitate to go. Ethiopia's wildlife experiences were among the best and most magical of our 17 years of travels. The photo and video opportunities were also stellar!

@@ovenbird I'm looking forward to seeing the walia ibex, mountain nyala, gelada baboons, Ethiopian wolf, hamadryas baboon as well as the less charismatic species which are indigenous to Ethiopia Of course I'm fascinated by the birds such as Prince Ruspoli's Turaco and all the other species endemic to Ethiopia. Furthermore, I know that there are so many other remarkable species of birds to be seen in Ethiopia. I'm also very interested in the culure, and history of Ethiopia. I know that the scenery is breathtaking in many places.

Edited by optig

@@ovenbird Sad but true, the mountain nyala is still being hunted by American hunters despite it bein an endangered species which is estimated to number at most 4,500 individuals. That says a lot about just how much

the organized hunters are sincerely dedicated to conservation.

@@ovenbird I just spoke to a professional hunter who assured me that for $72,000 he could guarantee me a Mountain Nyala. He told me that there are 5 oufitters in Ethiopia who are offering quotas of

Mountain nyalas.This one is the best and has a quota of 18 per year. He complained bitterly about how the Ethiopian governnet has raised the price of the hunt so much;he was totally oblivious to the fact that

the Mountain nyala is an endangered species. I have to wonder why the American Fish and Wildlife Service is allowing of Mountain Nyala trophies into the United States. This is just outrageous.

You may ask me why I'm posting here? It's because I don't know where else to better express my outrage. I will also do so on social media.

@@optig I share your outrage. Mountain Nyala are gorgeous creatures. I'm sure a professional guide could guarantee you a Mountain Nyala as well, just not at the end of a rifle and for a lot less money!

Our birding tour included an extension to Lalibela and Gondar both of which were stunning and very interesting since we happened to be there during the Epiphany.

@@ovenbird I'm glad that you enjoyed Lalibela and Gondar both of which have long interested me, even if I'm not really interested in archaeology. It's just that they both so unique, particularly Lalibela.

I hope that the Ethiopian government continues to develop tourism, so that hopefully it won't continue to allow hunting. I was shocked to learn that hunting of both lions, and leopards is permitted in Ethiopia.

Are Ethiopia's populations of lions and leopards sufficient to allow trophy hunting? How many tourists even see a lion or leopard? The hunting of gelada, and olive baboons is permitted as is colobus monkeys.