Images from Botswana - All time favourites

johan db

Some of my favourite images over the years. Apologies for the watermark.

Part 1

When are you going to put together a coffee table book mate?

Every one tells quite a story, Johan. And some sights are just out of this world. Glad to see them, watermarked or not.

Fantastic! The look on that charging lion's face and the dirt his heels kick up...amazing.

Thanks for watching everyone.

Lots of patience and a little bit of luck ;)

The charging lion was a picture taken at Twin pools (Lebala). Charles and I expected the lions to charge as a hyena was nibbling at a buffalo carcass and he positioned the vehicle perfectly.

Have to say that my knowledge of animal behaviour helped me a lot during the years.

Yes, I did enjoy! Fantastic photos, Johan.

Great photos, for me it's the martial eagle with the mongoose and crocodiles pulling the hind legs of the lechwe.

Thanks all again ;)

The picture of the crocs and the red lechwe is something out of the ordinary (at least the sighting). And Silver Eye will always be remembered ... spent quite some time with her.

The blood brothers lying on a mound ... had followed them with BB for more than 10 hours - we had given up hope for a kill and then it happened. They grabbed a warthog in front of our vehicle.

How were you even able to capture that crocodile-lechwe shot?

I liked the landscapes a lot - esp. the clouds and the birds behind the buffalo.

The picture of the crocodiles and the red lechwe was taken out of a helicopter.

I did an exhibiton once and a lot of people liked that last landscape shot. Was taken at Chief's camp. ;)

Wow What an amazing collection! I wish I could take photos like that! It would be even more awesome to see them without those distracting watermarks though ;) That charging lion looks crosseyed, I'll have to show it to my OH, because he recently commented on a painting of a charging jaguar and said that the eyes didn't look right on it, but looking at this photo he might change his mind! :D The Martial Eagle with the mongoose is amazing and the two crocs with the lescwhe I had to do a double take to see what was going on! Wow!

Waited 90 minutes for the martial eagle to take off.

One thing I knew about this lion is that the hyena got his full attention ... have seen it so often that lions take all the effort to chase vultures, hyenas and jackals away (even if there are only a few bones left) and then they just leave.

Without a watermark, I am sure I'll find some of those pictures on travel websites. Happened before ... so it's that or not showing them here on ST.

Kittykat, glad you like this collection. It took me some time to build my portofolio.

Waiting anxiously for part 3: Milky eye (?) looks like something from a horror film. And yes, totally understand re the watermarking. Safaritalkers, note, that it is not just travel websites that have stolen images in the past, but there was a case where a user here, (now banned), ripped off some of Russell's images for a competing forum. They were only removed after legal action was threatened. Glad to have your images here mate, watermarks and all...

Watermarks are the necessary bane of our lives. I have seen pix stolen and water marks carefully art worked out. It gets easier and easier to remove them, sadly.

Some brilliant images ,specially like a lot the 2 crocs and the lechwe and the martial eagle with the kill.

Just wanted to let you know i just saw your charging lion used in facebook , don´t know if by you or someone you know ???

HERE :

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=243106719075180&set=o.217418921645238&type=3&theater

Paco

Paco, I have just seen that and drawn their attention to it in a private message. Will report back, thanks for notifying us. Matt.

Update, spoken with admin who will deal with that post but in the meantime, the comments in this thread might amuse you... it really has become one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on Facebook :blink:

• 5 months later...

Some great shots. Like others, the Marshall Eagle and the Crocs with Lechwe stand out for me.

Hope you get to sell some of these, they are worthy of any wildlife book.

• 1 year later...

Incredible photos! I dream of taking pictures like that!

Great set of photos @@johan db

Love the charging lion and the lechwe being pulled apart by crocs.

I'm glad that I'm going to start taking photos. and videos on my next safari. No, I don't expect my photos to be anything like yours, but they are at least an encouragement.