Game Warden

Dereck Joubert - filmmaker and conservationist.

32 posts in this topic

Congratulations to the Jouberts!!! I am yet to see the Last Lions ....... hopefully will come to Nat Geo India soon. If not, shall await the Dvd release date.

I remember the video clip of the cobra attacking the cubs at the den - it might be in "Lions of darkness" a lovely well made film. I do not for one moment believe that the cobra might have been introduced to the den to make for dramatic footage. Let's leave it at that ...... I am not a fan of what the Selinda has become in terms of the atmosphere - but, the Jouberts certainly have made it count both in terms of film making and conservation.

In preparation for my upcoming safari, I have been doing a great deal of research. Seeing this interview, I watch the Last Lions. I was spellbound. What a marvelous film and great teaching tool. As a grandparent, I am trying to enlighten my grandchildren on the importance of conservation and the plight of the lions is a perfect example of the challenges and what must be done. I plan to have my grandchildren watch this film to also help them better understand the circle of life. and truthfully beyond that, I found the film very emotive and entertaining. Well done Joubert's.

and one thing further, when lion numbers have declined from 450,000 to 20,000,the movie heightened my resolve to return to Africa and BRING MY GRANDCHILDREN to see what might be lost to my great grandchildren

1 person likes this

On my recent Botswana safari, we were fortunate enough to be at Duba Plains at the same time as when the Jouberts were there along with a "60 minutes" (major US TV news program) crew. The highlight was spending time with Ma di Tau (the lioness that is the star of the Last Lions movie), seeing a start to finish kill with her, and sitting in the vehicle 10 yards from her three cubs, with Dereck Joubert himself radioing our vehicle to see if we could tell him where the cubs were. Magical!

Ma di Tau:

IMG_1452.JPG

Her cubs:

IMG_8716.JPG

Anyone in the US watch the "Unlikely Leopard" - their new film? I look forward to watching it when they show it on TV here......

I have watched Unlikely Leopard just recently and enjoyed it. and one of their others as well as they have been cycling through on the NATGEO wild channel. all good but I found Last of the Lions spectacular

On my recent Botswana safari, we were fortunate enough to be at Duba Plains at the same time as when the Jouberts were there along with a "60 minutes" (major US TV news program) crew. The highlight was spending time with Ma di Tau (the lioness that is the star of the Last Lions movie), seeing a start to finish kill with her, and sitting in the vehicle 10 yards from her three cubs, with Dereck Joubert himself radioing our vehicle to see if we could tell him where the cubs were. Magical!

Ma di Tau:

IMG_1452.JPG

Her cubs:

IMG_8716.JPG

what an extraordinary opportunity and glad to see the star is doing well and with a new litter I guess