Hoopoe and coffee.

Game Warden

Such a nice surprise this morning, sitting on the veranda of my local coffee shop sipping a milky coffee: a hoopoe strolling across the grass, and Lizzy and I watched it for a while before it flew away. Some of the other customers commented on it as well. Made me feel a little closer to Africa...

And this follows a sighting of a red squirrel in a local park a couple of days ago: Tufty (remember him UK Safaritalkers?) was no more than a meter from us, ferreting about in the ground, then, with some kind of nut climbed up a tree next to us. Rarely see grey squirrels around here, but this is the first time I've ever seen a red squirrel so was quite excited. Great for the kids as well to have such a close up view.

Seen any interesting wildlife round your place this week?

Whoo Hoo, a Hoopoe!

A doe and pair of fawns has been making many appearances around me. Had some nice sightings on a canoe trip--Osprey, muskrat, Great Blue Heron.

This guy flies very low almost every morning. He screeches and carries on. I have not been able to identify him. At first I thought, Merlin, but I think he's too big. He has feathered legs. Maybe a a rough-legged hawk? Anyone know?

Not quite a Hoopoe, but maybe in 18 days! :)

20a44ed.jpg

Edited by cris

Nice look at the hawk. Could be a rough legged but don't know for sure.

I've seen deer a couple of times in the past week on my bike ride into work.

Stepped out of a Mexican restaurant the other night just in time to see two Cooper's hawks cruise by.

We have a western screech owl in our yard fairly often. The other day it kept me awake for 30 minutes around 4 AM with its hooting. A very cool hooting though. It has a succession of hoots that are compared in frequency to a dropped ball bouncing on the floor. Starts out slow then gets more rapid.

Saw my first neighborhood coyote not too long ago. Not good for the local cats that people irresponsibly let run loose.

Not much just lately although the koalas will start to make themselves known now that spring has sprung. Saw a couple of kangaroos yesterday. Lots and lots of birds though, all tussling over nesting holes in the old gum trees and many small song birds flitting around with sticks twice their size. And an occasional tiny bird proudly carrying a bit of fluff they've found on the courtyard. In fact, just last week I heard the most wonderful trilling song outside my office (top floor of the house) and despite looking and looking through the windows into the tree canopy, could not see what was making the noise. At the last minute I looked down to see an 8 cm long, nondescript brown bird perched on the window sill, singing its heart out as it looked in the window. Not singing to me, undoubtedly singing a challenge to the male bird that he was sure he could see through the window. The tinted glass gives a wonderful reflection and I have Fairy Wrens and Rosellas often pecking at the window, but never such a songster.

But now I am rambling off topic ...............

I was a member of the Tufty club.

Cris,

You are honing your bird watching and bird photography skills! They should be at their peak in about 17 days!

Cris,

You are honing your bird watching and bird photography skills! They should be at their peak in about 17 days!

LOL, Lynn, Thanks for noticing! I'm getting there. I need the Africa wildlife books. I think I will wait and buy in country. They are probably even sold at the airport.

You leave shortly. Have a great trip. Can't wait for your report and photos. Safe travels.

We have a couple of Cooper's Hawks that have taken residence in a eucalyptus in our canyon. I'm not entirely certain that they like it there because of the height or the proximity to the parrots that use another tree as a half-way point twice a day on their inner city migration. On the furry side, unfortunately our attempts to trap the rats and mice have lead to the demise of a squirrel, a baby possum and a chinchilla. No pictures to follow.

This guy flies very low almost every morning. He screeches and carries on. I have not been able to identify him. At first I thought, Merlin, but I think he's too big. He has feathered legs. Maybe a a rough-legged hawk? Anyone know?

Not quite a Hoopoe, but maybe in 18 days! :)

20a44ed.jpg

Me thinks juvenile goshawk Accipiter gentilis. You say it has feathered legs, but I think it is only "trousers" that are feathered. Conspicious white undertail coverts is typical of goshawk.

Just landing the boat on my island in the Stockholm Arcipelago, an adult whitetailed sea eagle showed itself, soaring in nice circles quite closely for ten minutes before settling on an island not far away.

Mat your Hoopoe has come to you from our back garden here in France, he doesnt stay long here, like the Golden Oriol but it is lovely to have them. We are now watching gold finches eating our wild teasles which is lovely. In 22 sleeps I will be watching the birds of the Samburu and the Maasai. CANT WAIT