Uganda with chimps and gorillas

USAnimalfan

@@USAnimalfan

I have really enjoyed this report (a bit late I know!)

We did a similar trip in 2005 and this brought back a lot of memories. I remember the chimps and monkeys being very hard to photograph.

Good to see the lions in the trees, and I agre that the boat trip is surprisingly good.

You had a tough trek to see the gorillas, but I am sure it was worth it. It certainly looks like it. I really enjoyed your pictures of these wonderul animals.

@@johnkok

porters are invaluable and allow more enjoyment of the trek (as seen in this report!) and the income does make a difference (and the gorillas have a financial value to the local community). Definitely get a porter each. (we also gave the tough gloves to our porters at the end of our last trek).

We wore long sleeved shirts (can roll up sleeves) as there can be nettles around (which is why you need the gloves).

We live in a pretty flat area, so prior to the trip we did as much work on hills and even at the gym as we could and I am sure it helped! Enjoy the trip.

@@johnkok

porters are invaluable and allow more enjoyment of the trek (as seen in this report!) and the income does make a difference (and the gorillas have a financial value to the local community). Definitely get a porter each. (we also gave the tough gloves to our porters at the end of our last trek).

We wore long sleeved shirts (can roll up sleeves) as there can be nettles around (which is why you need the gloves).

We live in a pretty flat area, so prior to the trip we did as much work on hills and even at the gym as we could and I am sure it helped! Enjoy the trip.

@@TonyQ

It's an important thing for the local community to have some sort of financial stake in these photo-safaris. One example I have in my mind where this has not happened is in India - Ranthambore National Park and the abject poverty seen on the roads of Sawai Madhopur, and the dire outlook for tigers from human encroachment and conflict.

John

• 3 weeks later...

@@USAnimalfan Very late to this post; I'll respond with some (very) random thoughts:

I've always found the name Bwindi Impenetrable Forest to be incredibly evocative. Your pictures certainly reinforce that idea! The fruit stalls do look really appealing, and you're right in that there are a lot of vendors. I think your galago picture is perfect - the graininess only suits the mood! I also had to laugh when I saw the Ugandan Wildlife Authority logo, as it looked so familiar to me for some reason...then I realized that I see it every time I scroll to the bottom of a page here on ST.

• 7 months later...

Can we find gorillas and chimpanzees in the same area ??

post-49296-0-59786200-1428381644_thumb.jpg

post-49296-0-46667400-1428381669_thumb.jpg

~ Hi, @@USAnimalfan!

Thanks to @@gagan's question today, your trip report popped up.

The two images above are knockouts, due to the looooooong perspective.

Really like that effect, which brings the scene to life.

While not being 3-D, it nonetheless has the effect of suggesting depth in the scene.

The two ladies and the baskets of fruit are such true-to-life subjects.

Admire!

Tom K.

Dear Gagan,

You'll need to visit two different National Parks: Kibale and Bwindi in order to see both chimps and gorillas. I urge you to do both as they are both totally different experiences.and are both in completely different areas.

Dear JohnKok,

I urge you to wear the same light weight hiking boots and gorilla trek when you go to visit the chimps as well. I made a mistake when going on chimp trekking because,the ground was flat of not wearing my hiking boots and I twisted my ankle. As a result,I had to finish the chimp trek with a twisted ankle and go gorilla trekking which was really painful.

@@optig thanks for the info....out of Rwanda , uganda and congo...which is best for primate safari..

Edited by gagan

Thanks for so many bringing this report back. Many new Uganda reports this year! And reliving the old.

The Pearl of Africa is pulling us in....

I also wonder about the altitude as I remember from our Peru- Machu Picchu and Cusco adventures how light headed I always felt. Very dehydrated as well, so water is of most importance. And I had a private guide at MP who helped me up and down,down and up quite frequently. A porter is very much on the list!

If not for my Tanzanian ranger in Ruaha I doubt I'd made the 6-8 hr treks through sand rivers and up and down banks. And heavy brush. Worth every tip in the world!

We toss it about as we are not getting younger and are in descent shape - except for the nuts and bolts in my back. I heard one can ASK for an easier hike; has anyone experienced this. Asking and receiving? Of just go and sweat it out.

Edited by graceland

I know that gorilla trekking is much easier in Rwanda because you'll be on flatter ground,furthermore,you don't have to travel far from Kigali. However,Uganda as you can see has far more to offer as a country. Please don't worry you'll manage to do the gorilla trek as I managed to do it with a twisted ankle. I took the precaution of having two porters,but one one was necessary.

I know that gorilla trekking is much easier in Rwanda because you'll be on flatter ground,furthermore,you don't have to travel far from Kigali. However,Uganda as you can see has far more to offer as a country. Please don't worry you'll manage to do the gorilla trek as I managed to do it with a twisted ankle. I took the precaution of having two porters,but one one was necessary.

It seems a porter is a necessity. But I heard most were former poachers and this provides employment of which I would happily support

I wish that Uganda would intregate it's pygmies who live near Bwindi Impenetrable Forest into the tourist economy without making them the subject of photos by gawking tourists. No needn't be made into a type of freak show

. It's a common story throughout Africa they've been misplaced to make Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park more accessible to tourists. As they become better educated couldn't they become local guides? I do know that spend much of their limited income on marijuana and alcohol. I met one pygmy in Bwindi and he was 4'10 in height; which meant that he was short but not in the same category as the pygmies in either one or the two Congos,or the Central African Republic.

@@optig

Let me get this straight....if you go to Bwindi to see the gorillas it is a notion that you are indeed going to see a "show produced by the pygmy (if that is indeed their true name, not a cultural slur) as one who is new to Kenya goes to a "notion" of a Masai village...." I assume this is "optional" and the lodges do not push it, hopefully. I dislike these immensely and would rather contribute otherwise than having someone do a "song and dance " for me as I will not attend.

Is there a way to politely decline this exhibition; yet make some sort of contribution or help to their lives, if they are indeed known as "toys' for the local to make money.

thank you Optig.

much appreciated.

Dear Graceland,

I'll be in the States soon,I'd like to speak to you and your husband. Please send me your e-mail. As you know Noli and Noelle hold both of you in high regard.

I send you my warmest regards,Owen

• 2 months later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-34905600-1436294550_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-38158700-1436294576_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-66575000-1436294597_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-63561200-1436294618_thumb.jpg

post-49296-0-28667900-1436294637_thumb.jpg

~ @@USAnimalfan

Great photos!

All of them stand out in special ways.

Thank you for uploading them.

Tom K.