Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What is your favourite place in Africa?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,992 posts
  • Local time: 07:33 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

If you had one place you could choose in Africa, to say - "This is my very favourite place", where would it be and why?

Please add your answers below, with photos if possible.

Thanks, Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,525 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

Extremely difficult to say... At gunpoint, my answer would be:

Katavi National Park, SW Tanzania.

For description and photos, see the thread "Let's talk Katavi national Park", under the "Park talk" subforum.

P.S.: I assume that for "place" you mean a large enough area, and not a specific location inside a protected area (e.g. Silale Swamp in Tarangire or Deception Valley in the Central kalahari)

#3 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,951 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

Kwando ........

Why? The Avatar Picture.....

Edited by madaboutcheetah, 30 June 2011 - 07:20 AM.

http://500px.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#4 micmic

micmic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

Maximum area for that place ?

If there's no limit then I choose Subsaharan Africa :D
Akufukuzae hakwambii toka

#5 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,992 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

Serious question...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#6 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,180 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

Paolo,

Your answer caught my eye, since I'll be there for the first time in Sept. Someday I'd like to see Hari's avatar in person, or one of its offspring.
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#7 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

Paolo,

Your answer caught my eye, since I'll be there for the first time in Sept. Someday I'd like to see Hari's avatar in person, or one of its offspring.

How much time are you spending thre? I would recommend at least a week, visiting also places diffeent from the central part of the park (s such as Chorangwa, Mpunga, Lake Katavi etc....): the best way to visit those more remote areas is probably to arrange a few nights of fly camping.

Edited by Paolo, 30 June 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#8 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Mountain Lodge Kenya, around 2am in the morning with a large glass of brandy to keep out the cold, a blanket and binos - magical place where anything can happen. Similar place is Shimba Hills near Mombasa.

Edited by samburumags, 01 July 2011 - 08:50 AM.

But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#9 Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Samburumags, it's a very difficult question to answer, isn't it? I've been to both your choices, and enjoyed

them, but now I have to say that for me it is Jack's Camp in Botswana. I've been going there since 1994, and it

really is a home from home for me, and in October it will be my 18th visit. I've seen Jack's grow from being a

small basic camp to the very fancy and unique camp it is now. I know that it's not to everyones taste, but which

camp is? I'm very lucky to have a good relationship with both the owner, Ralph, and staff. I'm told that word

goes round ' Jan's coming tomorrow' , so it's a very happy place for me to be.

I do know that over the years I've been able to visit many countries in southern Africa, and feel lucky and

priviledged.

Jan

#10 Pangolin

Pangolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 AM
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

Without picking a specific camp, for me it is somewhere in one of the private concessions in and around the Okavango Delta. Expensive? Yes. Some issues brought up on this forum? Yes. But to be in a beautiful area watching wildlife with very few other people around makes it special for me.
One pangolin to rule them all......

#11 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

No big surprises so far! .... I think each of us could have guessed the favourite place in Africa of the more frequent contributor to the forum.

So, who wants to make a bet about Zaminoz and Twaffle? :P

#12 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,802 posts
  • Local time: 05:03 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Well, I've been thinking and thinking about it.
If I returned to my childhood Africa, my mind goes straight to a little part of our garden behind the 'yesterday,today,tomorrow' bush where you could play without anyone seeing you. Chameleons on the trees, birds everywhere, you could imagine you were having any sort of adventure.

But now, my thoughts stray to the high and rugged plateau below Mt Kenya where wildlife and pastoralists are starting to get their acts together, where local tribes are rediscovering the natural balance of a wild land with animals (or so I hope) and where a measure of security for rhinos, the most hunted, remains.

So I find that despite everything the gates of Lewa will continue to draw me back despite my struggles to find new nirvanas and that eventually I'll take the road less travelled out the other side and through Il Ngewsi and up into the Mathews Ranges. I'll think that will be my paradise.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#13 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Local time: 02:33 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

I am not sure that I could pick one favourite place in Africa.

I think that we look at favourite places in different ways. There are nostalgic places and there are other places that are favourites based on set criteria (ie wildlife viewing, guides, camps, scenic vistas). Of the latter category I have a couple, but a few parts of the South Luangwa spring to mind mostly.

Of the nostalgic category, I also have a few; mainly some of the GMAs around the Kafue National Park where I spent much of my child hood, such as Lunga Luswishi, Sichifulo, and Mumbwa.

If I were to make a rational assessment where to pay money to revisit, then obviously the wildlife viewing, guides, camps, scenic vistas criteria would come into play and I would chose South Luangwa on that basis.

However, if I pick only one place that my heart goes back to; it is the top of a large anthill on my parents' farm that I would often go to with just my dog and rifle, and just sit and watch the sun go down.
Hardly a big 5 experience, but a very African one.
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#14 africapurohit

africapurohit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

For me it has to be the Kwando concession in Botswana - it's like the land that time forgot and it's great for snakes!

#15 safaribr

safaribr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:27 AM

I would say that Luwi Bushcamp in South Luangwa in Zambia is a wonderful place. Beautiful remote location and a great setup. Unforgetable.

#16 Kavey

Kavey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

I'm not sure I could really narrow down to one place...

I guess my obvious pick would be Wolwedans in the NamibRand Nature Reserve in Namibia. We first went (and adored it) in 2001 and then returned in 2004 to renew our wedding vows, that was an incredibly experience. Of course, we haven't been since then... and I know a lot of key management staff from those two visits have since moved on, so I don't know from personal experience whether it would still be the same magical experience, but I'd like to hope so and perhaps we'll get to go back and find out sometime soon.

For safari, it's hard not to be influenced by the places we happened to particularly click with our guides and / or camp management and staff. Doing the same itinerary a few weeks earlier or later, with different staff on rota, could have resulted in completely different picks. And current staff/ experiences could be so different. But, putting all that aside, we did love Elsa's Camp, Ngare at Serian, Tubu Tree and Jacana. Ndumu too, but that's long since closed.
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
--------------------
"I cannot rest from travel; I will drink
Life to the lees."
Alfred Tennyson

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.