See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Let's talk Hwange National Park. (Zimbabwe)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Local time: 05:46 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

I've been to Hwange before, and stayed at Somalisa camp for four days. I saw an incredible battle between elephants, and baboons for the waterhole. The baboons won it initially, but the elephants realized that they had been outsmarted chased the baboons out!! It was an amazing spectacle.

#22 RichB

RichB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

@cheetah80

I will be staying at Camp Hwange, which is close by to Shumba Pan. I will spend three nights there (August 10, 11 and 12) coming from Gonarezhou and moving to Mana thereafter.

We will be on a private safaris guided by Craig Van Zyl, who will also be our pilot throughout the trip.

Paolo Im in the process of booking Zimbabwe..Can I ask if you booked with Craig Van Zyl directly or did you go through an agent...?

Is it a walking safari mainly you are going on with him..Im trying to decide whether to book a package through one of the agents or through one of the good guides directly...Any info would be much appreciated..

#23 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,883 posts
  • Local time: 03:46 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

@RichB

I replied on the Mana thread re the walking/driving.

I am about to send you a PM with Craig's contacts.

#24 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,883 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

@Geoff

Thanks.

As far as I know Shumba area has been quite consistent in terms of game viewing over the past few years (during the dry season - forget it in the summer) and has become a favourite amongst several Zim guides that previously were using more Makalolo/Somalisa.

Anyway, we will explore a bit out of Camp Hwange - it will be a new area for me, and I hope some of the pans in that part of Hwange will be "on".

#25 markus dietz

markus dietz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 02:46 PM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Travel Marketing

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

sombody who was there in raintime?? i like to drive there in february.....

#26 Christopher Moran

Christopher Moran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

A question for those that have visited Hwange..  I've been reading the various Hwange threads and Trip Reports, and I was wondering, does the noise from the diesel pumps so prevalent in Hwange detract from the game-viewing?  They are essential of course - the wildlife there would not survive without them!

Thanks.

#27 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,987 posts
  • Local time: 02:46 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

@Christopher Moran

in some places the noise from the pumps is noticeable, especially if the lodge you are staying at has a pump running ot keep a waterhole going beside the lodge, but it is not intrusive. 

Many people find the noise re-assuring as it means the water supply is being maintained. 

Having been to Hwange a few times I think i would be more worried if I could not hear the pumps.

and.. they only run 24/7 during the dry months. The rest of the year they are only used occasionally.

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#28 Tron

Tron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Many pumps in the SE of the Park have been replaced with solar pumps.  there is an ongoing programme to change as many as possible.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.