Game Warden

Let's talk Hwange National Park. (Zimbabwe)

28 posts in this topic

A question for those that have visited Hwange.. I've been reading the various Hwange threads and Trip Reports, and I was wondering, does the noise from the diesel pumps so prevalent in Hwange detract from the game-viewing? They are essential of course - the wildlife there would not survive without them!

Thanks.

@@Christopher Moran

in some places the noise from the pumps is noticeable, especially if the lodge you are staying at has a pump running ot keep a waterhole going beside the lodge, but it is not intrusive.

Many people find the noise re-assuring as it means the water supply is being maintained.

Having been to Hwange a few times I think i would be more worried if I could not hear the pumps.

and.. they only run 24/7 during the dry months. The rest of the year they are only used occasionally.

Many pumps in the SE of the Park have been replaced with solar pumps. there is an ongoing programme to change as many as possible.