See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Let's talk Kafue National Park. (Zambia)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 PhilJ

PhilJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi all, picking up on Kafue threads as a new member- please do fire away with questions if you are interested in the Park. Having been there for the past decade and worked in many different facets of the Park, I hope I am well placed to answer any questions; I also had the opportunity to map the entire Park whilst working with the Zambia Wildlife Authority in compiling their most recent management plan. It is my home, it is my passion, and I am sure there are many many questions out there!

#22 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hi Phil,

It would be interesting to know the main guidelines of the new management plan, in particular in relation to different zoning (if any) of the various areas of Kafue, also from a tourist development perspective.

Has something been provided to encourage that Kafue conserves its wilderness feeling - one of its main assets - and that its character is not jeopardized by excessive infrastructural and tourism development?

Many thanks

Edited by Paolo, 07 February 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#23 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts
  • Local time: 08:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Great question Paolo.

Mobile in Kafue.  Any past experiences or plans for the future?

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#24 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 AM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

G'day Phil. Fill us in on your CV. Where in Kafue have you worked as a safari guide?

Geoff.

#25 PhilJ

PhilJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hi there, thanks for the excellent questions. Paolo, in answering your question; the revised GMP provides focus on the main management issues that have arisen over the past ten years, and covers:

- decentralisation of Park management (from Lusaka to KNP)

- implementation of KNP Business Plan of 2008 (successes and failures)

- Development of KNP business centre

- economic future of the Park

- greater community participation in natural resource management

- public-private partnerships and joint management concessions

- increased tourism

- the Park's links with the Kavango-Zambezi TFCA

Within these broad issues, the management plan addresses some of the more specific matters including, as you have pointed out, the need for different zoning of the Park. This was provided for in the 1999 management plan, but revised and updated according to the (then 2009/2010) current imperatives of protected area management, biodiversity conservation and tourism with additions for public access, exclusive use, and buffer zones (applying to game management areas). The rationale for zoning of the KNP is based upon the need to make conservation and utilization compatible by undertaking effective management of the Park's resources and providing a wide range of visitor use and experience.

These are the zones that have been implemented:

-special conservation zone

-wilderness zone

-wild zone

-intensive use zone

-public access zone

-exclusive access zone

-buffer zone

Within the management plan there are detailed descriptions of limits of acceptable use etc. providing for the preservation of the wilderness feeling that you describe Paolo, which is very special indeed in the KNP. I hope that goes someway to answering your question, please let me know if you would like any further information.

Best wishes

Phil

• Game Warden, ZaminOz and Soukous like this

#26 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts
  • Local time: 02:02 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Phil for this overview.

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#27 PhilJ

PhilJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Great question Paolo.

Mobile in Kafue.  Any past experiences or plans for the future?

Hi! Yes, we have done a couple of mobiles in Kafue, and they have been rewarding. We operate from a fixed location in Northern KNP where we put an emphasis on walking, as such the mobiles we do are on a request basis, where we agree (under license) with the Wildlife Authorities as to where we can use as overnight stops etc. We did a fantastic one late last year where we walked from Busanga to Mukambi Safari Lodge over 3 nights/4 days along the Lufupa and Kafue rivers, covering 130+ km. That was a unique adventure, and not a typical mobile however! We have two 10-day mobiles planned for later this year, one in July and one in October.

G'day Phil. Fill us in on your CV. Where in Kafue have you worked as a safari guide?

Hi Geoff!

Thanks for your interest. I began in the Kafue with Ed Smythe (African Experience), where I spent some time canoeing on the Lunga and also running Busanga Bush Camp; when Wilderness Safaris bought out I remained and spent time assisting with the building and management of their camps, whilst also running their Exploration trips, and for a few seasons managed the environmental department and was responsible for the guide training. 

I have also spent time working with ZAWA on a consultative basis, as well as freelancing for other camps/lodges, including KaingU and Mukambi. 

Have you been to Kafue before? Do you have connections with the Park?

Cheers for now

Phil

#28 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Phil for your thorough response.

To which type of zone does your Musekese camp (and the Chichele area) belong?

#29 PhilJ

PhilJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hi Paolo,

Musekese lies in a Wild Zone, as does Chibembe salt pans (which I assume you are referring to?). Permitted development includes:

- bush camps

- sign posts/boards

- fly camps (seasonal)

- viewing towers

- camp sites

- hides

- picnic sites

- wildlife outposts

- management/tourist roads

- entry/exit gates

- fire-breaks

- staff houses

- footpaths

- boreholes/wells

The limits of acceptable use for the zone are extensive, including restrictions on boat engine sizes, collection of firewood etc. For anyone to develop any of this type of infrastructure, they are required to follow strict procedures, including environmental impact assessments and so on. Once approved by ZAWA and their ecologists, plans have to be certified by the Environmental Council of Zambia too. ZAWA has very strict guidelines pertaining to any of these developments i.e. no toilets within 60m of the riverbank etc. etc. It is comprehensive, and I hope that all lodges/camps in KNP and elsewhere respect these.

#30 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts
  • Local time: 02:02 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Phil, we need your photos in this thread... ;)

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#31 PhilJ

PhilJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Matt- here's one from the beginning of the rainy season- a barred owlet in a thicket, heavy cloud cover and an impending storm made for the dark atmosphere.

7-gl-gallery-1480-tn.jpg

It's a little small- guess I better work on photo uploading skills ;)

Edited by PhilJ, 09 February 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#32 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Phil.

And yes, I was referring to Chibembe salt pans.

#33 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts
  • Local time: 08:02 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Thanks Matt- here's one from the beginning of the rainy season- a barred owlet in a thicket, heavy cloud cover and an impending storm made for the dark atmosphere.

7-gl-gallery-1480-tn.jpg

It's a little small- guess I better work on photo uploading skills ;)

Just fine with binoculars! ;)  Thanks for the Kafue info!

• PhilJ likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#34 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 PM
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yes, thanks for the very interesting info, Phil.

Would I be correct in assuming that the difference between a wild zone and a wilderness zone is that the latter allows for no structures at all?

Do you have dates on your movie release yet? Also, could a similarish walk be organized for 2 people over a 10 day period with a fully supported fly camp? And if so, would it cost a fortune?

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#35 PhilJ

PhilJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hi Sangeeta,

You are almost spot on, however a wilderness zone does allow limited use; their purpose is "to conserve large tracts of the Park providing an undisturbed environment for tourists to experience pristine wilderness and for research and management teams to conduct their research and monitoring activities". In this regard temporary fly camps are permitted but no permanent structures, and you are limited to non-motorized activities i.e. walking and canoeing. This zone makes up about 60% of the Park, which is great!

The BBC Earth production that we supported, 'Enchanted Kingdom 3D', is due to be released later this year but don't know when exactly! Can't wait to see it! Hopefully we'll make the behind the scenes ;) 

It would be possible to organize a fully supported fly camp for ten days for two people, however the reality is it would be very costly, as would be effectively sealing off a potential 40 bednights (4 pax, 10 nights). A group of six would be much more affordable on a per person basis.

Hope that answers your questions!

Best

Phil

#36 Sangeeta

Sangeeta

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thanks, Phil. I'll be PMing you about this. Thanks for all the info on Kafue.

Zindagi na milegi dobara... Chalo Africa
You only live once...Go To Africa

www.chaloafrica.com

#37 PhilJ

PhilJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

You are most welcome, look forward to hearing from you.

#38 KaingU Lodge

KaingU Lodge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 AM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Lodge Owner/Manager

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

Interesting news for safari goers contemplating the Kafue:  

(cut and paste from Proflight Zambia)  

Proflight Press Release 8th September 2014
Proflight Zambia will begin flying to Kafue National Park next year, adding a tenth
domestic destination to its schedule and opening up the area to tourism.
The new addition to the airline’s route network will provide a fast and reliable way for
domestic and international tourists to enjoy the world-class safari and wilderness
experiences of the park.
Proflight Director of Government and Industry Affairs Captain Philip Lemba said:
“September is Tourism Month, so when better to announce Proflight’s forthcoming
schedule to Kafue National Park?
The park is a diamond in the rough; a place where serious safari lovers can have an
authentic wildlife experience. This fantastic addition to our schedule reaffirms Proflight
Zambia’s role in promoting and facilitating Zambian tourism.”
Proflight will begin operating flights during the dry season, when accessibility and wildlife
viewing is at an annual peak, from July 1 to October 31, 2015.If successful it will look at
more frequency and a longer season in 2016.Flights will operate on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Saturdays to Chunga. The Lusaka – Chunga flight will leave Lusaka
at 11:30, reaching Chunga at 12:45. The Chunga – Lusaka flight will leave at 13:05 and
arrive in Lusaka at 14:20. This schedule is designed to facilitate numerous connections
including international outbound connections with Emirates and South African Airways;
domestic outbound connections with Lower Zambezi and Livingstone (Mfuwe for
July/August only); and domestic inbound connections with Mfuwe and Lower Zambezi (all
days) and Livingstone on Saturdays.
In recognition of the size and diversity of the area, Proflight will – on request – operate to
Busanga (Plains strip) or Lufupa airstrip, as well as Chunga.
Kafue National Park was first established as a National Park in the 1950′s by legendary
conservationist Norman Carr. At over 22,000 square kilometres, Kafue is the largest
national park in Zambia and among the largest national parks in Africa.
Kafue has diverse terrain and holds an enormous range of wildlife. Itis the best place in
Zambia in which to see the elusive cheetah. The Busanga Plains in the north of the park is
a prime area for big game, where hosts of animals come to forage and hunt. Visitors to
Lufupa can get an entirely different experience in its beautiful remoteness, and rarely
leave without having seen a leopard.
Historically the park has received fewer visitors than other Zambian national parks.
Although it is the size of the world-famous Kruger, it is home to fewer safari operators
and lodges, allowing visitors to enjoy the environment in an exclusive way. Due to a
recent increase in interest in the hidden gem, there has been an improvement in
infrastructure including well-graded airstrips and an upgrade in the choice of lodges and
accommodation.
The airline, which celebrates 23 years of operation this year flies from its base in Lusaka
to Livingstone, Ndola, Kasama, Chipata, Mansa, Mfuwe, Solwezi and Lower Zambezi, as
well as to Lilongwe in Malawi.

• ZaminOz and Soukous like this

#39 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Is off roading allowed in Kafue?

#40 cheetah80

cheetah80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

I stand to be corrected @SSF556 but it's a national park so I don't think so.  

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.