Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Game Warden

Let's talk about South Luangwa National Park. (Zambia)

21 posts in this topic

Lets talk about South Luangwa National Park. So, let's celebrate its past, its present - the future. Feel free to upload photos, videos and share any interesting stories and sightings from your visit. Matt

A few photos, a thousand words.

tn_gallery_5808_312_139534.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_56596.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_423871.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_278518.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_399833.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_356512.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_351451.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_428383.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_381582.jpg

tn_gallery_5808_312_22104.jpg

Lions, buffalo, hippo, leopards (many!), birds, puku. It's a paradise for animal lovers.

I think you've linked to the thumbnails in the above post...

Posted (edited)

I first visited SLNP in Nov 2010. Having previously been to Kenya I knew SLNP would be a different experience and it was for so so many reasons. The night game drives were very enjoyable. Suffice to say I enjoyed SLNP so much that I'm returning there in June 2011.

Here's a small selection of the scenery and varied wildlife of SLNP :

River3.jpg

WhiteHeadedVulture-1.jpg

SmallMongoose_filtered-1.jpg

Buffalo1_filtered.jpg

Bushbuck1.jpg

Elephant1.jpg

Croc6.jpg

Lion13.jpg

CBE10.jpg

Hippo1s.jpg

Lagoon_filtered.jpg

Kudu5.jpg

Giraffe8.jpg

Leopard3_kill.jpg

Leopard2.jpg

Hyena_filtered.jpg

Warthogs3.jpg

RedBillHornbill.jpg

Lovebirds2.jpg

Impala4_filtered.jpg

MonitorLizard2.jpg

Marabou1.jpg

Snake.jpg

Marabou_tree.jpg

Sunset.jpg

One interesting non wildlife sighting .... seeing wildlife photographer, broadcaster and TV personality Jonathan Scott driving around with his group of people. He even had the time for a quick chat.

Edited by Paul T
3 people like this

Puku in South Luangwa

med_gallery_5808_312_423871.jpg

med_gallery_5808_312_278518.jpg

Leopard and Puku

med_gallery_5808_312_399833.jpg

Leopard

med_gallery_5808_312_356512.jpg

Elephant with inverted tusk

med_gallery_5808_312_428383.jpg

Lion cub

med_gallery_5808_312_139534.jpg

Buffalo

med_gallery_5808_312_381582.jpg

giraffe

med_gallery_5808_312_351451.jpg

safaribr

The first photo in your post is an impala, not a puku.

But I love your photo of the puku watching the leopard stroll by...

Also your photo of:

Elephant with inverted tusk

is the now celebrity herd matriarch known at Mfuwe lodge as "Wonky Tusk".

See link:

Elephants in Reception

;)

Thank you for you comments ZaminOz! You are right, my first puku is actually an impala.

Just thinking about South Luangwa puts me in a happy place. The photos send me there faster.

On one visit, I recall a generous grandmother who took her grown daughter and grandchildren on safari to Zambia and they were spending the majority of time in South Luangwa. The safari was not Grandma's cup of tea, but she was a good sport about it and placated herself with elaborate safari outfits that she debuted with much fanfare each day. She had safari-themed scarves and socks in addition to the traditional khaki outfit and she would stroll around camp in her kit, taking in views of the Luangwa, but never ventured out for a walk nor experienced a game drive.

PaulT

Spectacular photos BTW.

Just thinking about South Luangwa puts me in a happy place. The photos send me there faster.

On one visit, I recall a generous grandmother who took her grown daughter and grandchildren on safari to Zambia and they were spending the majority of time in South Luangwa. The safari was not Grandma's cup of tea, but she was a good sport about it and placated herself with elaborate safari outfits that she debuted with much fanfare each day. She had safari-themed scarves and socks in addition to the traditional khaki outfit and she would stroll around camp in her kit, taking in views of the Luangwa, but never ventured out for a walk nor experienced a game drive.

I'm dreading that's what my mother will be like if I take her!!! :o

I recall an English couple in their mid-50s who shared a couple of game drives with us when Mrs ZaminOz and I stayed at Kaingo in 2004.

Very pleasant people; she was clearly the enthusiastic safari goer though, and he went on all the drives with her. But the poor chap clearly had a phobia about big cats, because whenever we saw a leopard or lion, he could not bring himself to even look at them. Instead he would sit rigidly looking in the opposite direction – obviously straining to control some deep inner reaction to the presence of big cats. He was fine with elephants and buffalo at close range, but not lions and leopards at any distance.

Mfuwe story - a little bed time reading for you:

Maneater of Mfuwe

I had heard the macarbre story some time afterwards, but this is the first time I have seen a full narrative by Wayne Hosek.

I remember a fabulous week's stay at Tafika. I was very impressed with the cuisine prepared a delightful young caterer. I also was impressed with a youthful and enthusiast guide who led us on many of the walks. Back at camp, even the untrained eye that might be poor at spoting animals in the wild, could detect the guide took a keen interest in the caterer. Upon further observation, it appeared the caterer was equally intruiged by the guide.

A marvelous week ensued full of wonderful wildlife, fine food, and inklings of a budding romance bewteen between Guz the caterer and Rod the guide, who now operate their own camp as a married couple with a family in North Luangwa.

I remember a fabulous week's stay at Tafika. I was very impressed with the cuisine prepared a delightful young caterer. I also was impressed with a youthful and enthusiast guide who led us on many of the walks. Back at camp, even the untrained eye that might be poor at spoting animals in the wild, could detect the guide took a keen interest in the caterer. Upon further observation, it appeared the caterer was equally intruiged by the guide.

A marvelous week ensued full of wonderful wildlife, fine food, and inklings of a budding romance bewteen between Guz the caterer and Rod the guide, who now operate their own camp as a married couple with a family in North Luangwa.

How special to have witnessed the beginning of Rod and Guz story, and the first seeds of Kutandala!

Posted (edited)

Some South Luangwa Landscapes:

gallery_5084_378_117804.jpg

gallery_5084_378_101203.jpg

gallery_5084_378_33833.jpg

gallery_5084_378_117175.jpg

gallery_5084_378_83293.jpg

gallery_5084_378_4487.jpg

gallery_5084_378_19940.jpg

gallery_5084_378_87568.jpg

gallery_5084_378_85213.jpg

Edited by ZaminOz

gallery_5084_378_90980.jpg

gallery_5084_378_8382.jpg

gallery_5084_378_76221.jpg

gallery_5084_378_131749.jpg

gallery_5084_378_175883.jpg

gallery_5084_378_74903.jpg

gallery_5084_378_24036.jpg

I love slnp, we stayed with norman carr in 2009 and are going with robin pope next week, so when i am back i can compare and contrast

Posted (edited)

Been there ten or so times, so you might guess I'm a fan. First time was in 1986 and the last time last year, 2013, that is. It has changed a bit over the years! I'm a new member here, once I get my act together, I'll post some stuff.

Dave

Edited by davidedric
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

South Luangwa as she was........

Seems like I'm getting all nostalgic around here :)

These are some extracts from an early map of the South Luangwa Park. I picked it up in 1986, though it's dated 1984. There is some fascinating stuff on the back as well, but for now here are three maps. A bit different from how it is now!

Try and spot your favourite lodge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my gallery they are quite big images with lots of detail - but don't know how to make them visible for display or download.

The park

gallery_47587_970_2629194.jpg

The Mfuwe sector

gallery_47587_970_2755447.jpg

and Nsefu

gallery_47587_970_1646939.jpg

Edited by davidedric

@@davidedric

My favourite camp in SLNP, Nsefu Camp, was already there.

I also loved the walking area on the other side of the river from Chibembe. I think that in the 1980s Chibembe was a quite popular camp.