Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Illegal settlers blamed for poaching at conservancies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,531 posts
  • Local time: 11:06 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Reports www.herald.co.zw.

Parks director-general Mr Vitalis Chadenga said several conservancies had deteriorated due to the illegal settlers' activities.
"A number of conservancies are no longer existing in their original form.
"Government directives to spare these conservancies have partially been implemented but there has been rampant poaching," he said.
Mr Chadenga said between January 2010 and March this year, 16 poachers had been killed in stand-offs with authorities, while 2 572 people had been arrested.
He said 52 rhinos had been killed on both Parks Authority and private conservancies.
Mr Chadenga said there appeared to be insufficient political will to remove the illegal settlers.

To read the full article click here.

Mr Chadenga admits the problem, and is brave to speak out against the brass...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

Very interesting, one minor point

He said 52 rhinos had been killed on both Parks Authority and private conservancies.

This obviously doesn't include the one in the photo which is clearly a greater one horned rhino in either India or Nepal, with the number of rhinos that are being poached in Africa :wacko: I'm surprised they couldn't find a picture of an African one. Of course the poaching of any rhino anywhere in the world is a tradegy :angry:

#3 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,453 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

Inyathi, I noticed a similar thing on a Ugandan site I was investigating for an upcoming safari and they have an Asiatic elephant pictured. Perhaps they don't know the difference or think the customers can't tell, I don't know but it made me wonder about the accuracy of the rest of their information.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#4 dikdik

dikdik

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,009 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

35000 people in 26000ha - 117 000 cattle - 8400 goats - 12 000 donkeys. I don't expect much more space for a mouse or two. Its unlikely that anything else can survive there.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#5 dikdik

dikdik

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,009 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

And the 800 000ha forest wont last long either.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#6 Irish Elk

Irish Elk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Category 1:Environmentalist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

Its hard to have much hope for wildlife in Uganda given its out of control human populations growth of well over 1 million people a year and the fact that the country is infested with foreign right wing missionary types who still think the earth is flat :rolleyes:

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.