Petrol or Diesel

whorty1970

Hi all

can you guys add some inteligence to my ignorance?!?

I'm (still) trying to sort myself out with a vehicle to overland in from July this year. Travelling around most of southern africa, as far up (hopefully) as Uganda/Rwanda/Kenya etc, plus Namibia/Bots.....

We are really struggling to find anything in SA suitable (in our budget) and diesel. Loads of petrol fit the bill, but i was always under the impression that petrol is a no-no as this fuel is hard to find in most countries.

For those who have travelled around southern africa, what do you think?

cheers for the help. Whorty

p.s. if you know anyone with a 4x4 fir sale in SA please PLEASE let me know ;)

I am not sure what your budget is. Personally I would go for Diesel. And look at a landrover defender, or landcruiser and my personal favourite is a Jeep wrangler. Defender and Cruizers are very capable, yet heavy on fuel and by the time they get sold, they are in a pretty bad way. Jeeps don't have a good resale, and are a good buy second hand. Use Gumtree to see the best cars for sale. See here for very capable petrol

Here is a little tip. Botswana imports second hand good condition 4x4s from Japan. They are reasonably priced and must be licensed in Botswana. Although SA also sells these vehicles, they are not allowed to be registered in the country. There is a car park in Durban where you can view these cars.

Actually I have seen quite a few options for you with pickups or double cabs. Isuzu Toyota - whatever.

Edited by dikdik

I am having fun looking for something for you. Look at this.

Landrover

Low mileage. good value - Just add fridge, and go.

BTW - I wouldnt limit myself to Diesel. Petrol is just as suitable.

Edited by dikdik

Game Warden

Would a soft top limit the number of parks they could go into?

So in your view petrol is easy enough to find in all southern countries? i just kept hearing that only diesel is easy to find but now i'm here quite a few people say petrol is also ok, so i'm very confused.

So in your view petrol is easy enough to find in all southern countries? i just kept hearing that only diesel is easy to find but now i'm here quite a few people say petrol is also ok, so i'm very confused.

luangwablondes

In making a decision of which engine, your proposed route should effect your decision. Distance between fuel stations-CKGR/Hartmanns Valley? type of tracks and roads-deep sand, so you need low end torque? availability of fuels enroute- are their fuel stations carrying petrol, or even low lead?

Then there are other factors - Are you mechanically minded? Water crossings - where is the electronics located? Availability of parts, reliability, repair shops for that vehicle? High Clearance? If you are traveling long distances between refueling, do you want to have a half dozen jerry cans of petrol banging around on top, that adds to safety considerations and weight, when a couple long range tanks of diesel will do, with a low center of gravity and reduced weight....adding range, less chance of getting stuck in some conditions, and taking away that extra wear and tear on a drive train.

This is just off the top of my head.

If you buy a vehicle in SA, and traveling to a country(Kenya?) that needs a carnet, for non-residents you will need a deposit equal to the value of the vehicle. That is a requirement that AA has- your only source of a carnet in SA.

Edited by luangwablondes

Thanks LB. You have way more experience than I do on the overlanding subject.

I agree that diesel is better than petrol for this purpose. That being said - you wont be the first people to travel into Africa in a petrol vehicle. I am pretty sure your way around.

Where are you at the moment Whorty - Maybe I can help. PM me.

My two landies have been diesel, but that was mainly because in the past in Zim petrol was more likely to be unavailable than diesel. The situation's changed there now and petrol is freely available.

Petrol is also freely available in all the countries we travel to. The main thing that concerns me about petrol vehicles is carriage of extra fuel. A petrol vehicle will guzzle more fuel so you'll probably need jerries. I hate carrying petrol jerries - I had a mate in the army who had petrol gush into his eyes when he opend a sun-heated jerry - not nice. But if you're careful, you'll be fine.

I find that my defender's standard 80 litre diesel tank is enough to get me anywhere I want to go. I only carry one jerry on the roof - in case of emergencies/leaks. By contrast, a friend with a V8 petrol landy has had to add additional fuel tanks totalling 200 litres to get by.

With the land rovers try your hardest to get a defender with a 200tdi or 300tdi diesel engine, rather than the BMW 2.8litre or the later TD5.

tp