Show us your African rivers...

Game Warden

Ben mosquito

When the river begins to flow again , it's such a great emotion!

post-26959-0-11995500-1459713907_thumb.jpg

Ewaso Nyiro, Samburu national reserve.

Seniortraveller

Early evening at the Runde river and Chilojo cliffs in Gonarezhou, taken in September 2015. The most wonderful setting imaginable.post-39391-0-73763100-1459796200_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...
KaingU Lodge

I thought that this thread should be brought back to life.

DJI00432-1030x773.jpg

Game Warden

@@KaingU Lodge Can we see the lodge in this shot? Were you photographing from a microlight or parapente?

Matt

KaingU Lodge

@@Game Warden You cant see the lodge as such - just the tin roof of the workshop (white object in the trees a fair bit back from the river).

A few seconds later this one below was taken where you can see the lodge (just). It was really unusual weather conditions. We often get mist on the river but its quite rare to get it blanketing the whole area. At sunrise visibility was about 50m. I waited for it to start burning off and then launched my long-term loaner drone that a good friend has decided should be based here! I must stress I am using it only for landscape stuff at altitude.

DJI00430-1030x773.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, KaingU Lodge said:

@@Game Warden You cant see the lodge as such - just the tin roof of the workshop (white object in the trees a fair bit back from the river).

A few seconds later this one below was taken where you can see the lodge (just). It was really unusual weather conditions. We often get mist on the river but its quite rare to get it blanketing the whole area. At sunrise visibility was about 50m. I waited for it to start burning off and then launched my long-term loaner drone that a good friend has decided should be based here! I must stress I am using it only for landscape stuff at altitude.

~ @KaingU Lodge

Thank you for posting this.

That's a bird's eye view, at least for selected raptors.

Lucky to have a long-term loaner drone at hand.

Any recent images of interest taken with the drone over the river?

Tom K.

KaingU Lodge
1 hour ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @KaingU Lodge

Thank you for posting this.

That's a bird's eye view, at least for selected raptors.

Lucky to have a long-term loaner drone at hand.

Any recent images of interest taken with the drone over the river?

Tom K.

Here are a few Tom:  

DJI00508-Edit.jpg

DJI00533-Pano.jpg

DJI00537-Pano.jpg

~ @KaingU Lodge

Wow! Wow! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitting at my quiet computer desk I yelped when I saw the three drone shots above.

Thank you so much for posting them.

Seldom has any photo post had so strong an impact on me as yours above.

The images are a revelation, in the sense that they show me how inadequate my concept of your area was.

Candidly, showing such terrific photos is a powerful advertisement. Why have I hesitated several times in considering a visit?

Truly impressive, @KaingU Lodge.

Tom K.

Peter Connan

Truly beautiful photos @KaingU Lodge

Peter Connan

Khowarib, Namibia

STTR-164.thumb.jpg.d2b959298eab6d610df5ab30eec457c9.jpg

~ @Peter Connan

The Khowarib doesn't exactly look like the top fishing river in Namibia.

That's quite a fine tree growing downriver.

Tom K.

KaingU Lodge
10 hours ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @KaingU Lodge

Wow! Wow! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitting at my quiet computer desk I yelped when I saw the three drone shots above.

Thank you so much for posting them.

Seldom has any photo post had so strong an impact on me as yours above.

The images are a revelation, in the sense that they show me how inadequate my concept of your area was.

Candidly, showing such terrific photos is a powerful advertisement. Why have I hesitated several times in considering a visit?

Truly impressive, @KaingU Lodge.

Tom K.

Tom, your words make me very happy.  Thanks very much indeed.  The area where we are is truly spectacular.  Yes there are areas and lodges with more game, more luxurious chalets and what not.  But there is no section of river that I have ever seen that is as special as here and where you can get true solitude and the feeling of wilderness.  The 'raptor's eye' view is sort of capable of showing the beauty.  To be honest I wish the drone could go higher - 200m is the threshold for the radio controller (newer ones apparently go hundreds more) - to really show even more.  

A couple more simply because your enthusiasm is so rewarding!  

DJI00273-1030x773.jpg

DJI00301-1030x773.jpg

26 minutes ago, KaingU Lodge said:

Tom, your words make me very happy.  Thanks very much indeed.  The area where we are is truly spectacular.  Yes there are areas and lodges with more game, more luxurious chalets and what not.  But there is no section of river that I have ever seen that is as special as here and where you can get true solitude and the feeling of wilderness.  The 'raptor's eye' view is sort of capable of showing the beauty.  To be honest I wish the drone could go higher - 200m is the threshold for the radio controller (newer ones apparently go hundreds more) - to really show even more.  

A couple more simply because your enthusiasm is so rewarding!

~ @KaingU Lodge

You've inspired me, as I've sent a link to your post above to several friends around the globe, telling them: “You've gotta see this!

The two most recent river images add to the depth of understanding that these drone images provide.

It's understandable that a higher flying drone might expand the field of view, providing a greater overall sense of place.

However, the plus side of the existing 200 meter threshold is that it provides remarkable detail of surface features which might be lessened at a higher elevation.

The images you've very kindly uploaded today are nothing short of dreamy.

There's enough detail visible for a prospective visitor to imagine what it might be like to stay there.

About one year ago I mentioned your tented camp to friends, therefore calling their attention to today's drone images will reinforce their positive impression.

I've stressed the family friendly nature of your camp as well as the emphasis on cuisine, which you once explained to me.

Step-by-step understanding and thus interest is growing in the lovely riverine environment which you call home.

Many, many thanks for this most recent post.

Tom K.

• 1 month later...
Peter Connan

The Orange.

Taken in the Richtersveld National Park (Namibia) last Tuesday evening.

OrangeStarsODP.thumb.jpg.1f50b7ff3b0aa80af9ab67cd6af54c74.jpg

@Peter Connan That is a truly spectacular view! And not the obvious Namibia view (i.e. no red sanddunes)

@KaingU Lodge I'm with @Tom Kellie on your photos. WOW! I'm also wondering why I still haven't visited Kafue. Just back from Zamba and spent time chattng to people about Kafue. There are an awful lot of things recently which is making it top of my 'next to visit in Zambia' list!

Peter Connan

Thanks @CaroleE

• 3 months later...

The Luangwa River from the Luangwa bridge in South Luangwa NP November 2017

River01.thumb.jpg.8fdb3b9f12d35965efc5539753319f04.jpg

• 1 year later...
Peter Connan

Especially for @xelas.

The Tugela river.

Amfitheatre1ODP.jpg.3f07f85bf00f511a9753dc9ec3483e7c.jpg

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @michael-ibk. It is indeed the "Amphitheatre", in Royal Natal National Park.

The Sabie River at Skukuza just after sunset:

DSC_1138.jpg.ff59191129f4d741875d259ef58ed44d.jpg

How about a few from Malawi?

DSC_2471

Bua River, Nkhotakota

DSC_2585

2 of the newer residents

DSC_2831

Playtime on the Shire River, Liwonde.

@AfricIan Yep. They'll do :) There's something so "Middle Earth" sounding about the Shire in Malawi...