Show us your Lion Pictures

twaffle

Morkel Erasmus

Scarface cruising at dawn in the Mara Triangle...

post-14617-0-72384100-1432205762_thumb.jpg

Morkel Erasmus

Male and female having a drink at dawn in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (Kalahari desert)...

post-14617-0-76271700-1432205824_thumb.jpg

Tom Kellie

Great images folks.

@@Tom Kellie she sure looks dejected - have you considered cropping this photo? Perhaps not due to the very high ISO?

~ @@Morkel Erasmus

The light was very limited due to the early hour and heavily overcast skies.

The lofty ISO was a necessity under the circumstances.

I wanted to show the entire lioness so that the youthful spotting would be apparent.

My students see these images, so I'm less concerned with aesthetic effect and more interested in retaining visual evidence of ecological factors for them to notice and interpret.

Were I more skilled and concentrating on aesthetic images, your stunning photos would certainly be my benchmark. Your taste and aesthetic choices inevitably impress me!

With Respect,

Tom K.

Morkel Erasmus

@@Tom Kellie noted and I understand your viewpoint fully. Cheers mate!

(thanks for the compliments too)

What do you teach?

South Luangwa NP August 2014

post-6761-0-17484400-1432283921_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Semetu Kopjes, Serengeti ...........

post-308-0-80319300-1432289594_thumb.jpg

Kwara 2004

post-5254-0-25022600-1432315255_thumb.jpg

Sleepy Lioness Kwando Lagoon 2004

post-5254-0-96470500-1432315461_thumb.jpg

Kwando Kwara 2005

post-5254-0-26279200-1432315663_thumb.jpg

Kwando Lebala 2006

post-5254-0-46386700-1432315951_thumb.jpg

Semetu Kopjes, Serengeti ...........

No longer just madaboutcheetah! Lions have definitely snuck under your skin too :)

That's a lovely, very artistic shot.

gallery_49445_1273_2448031.jpg

Tarangire NP, 2012

Tom Kellie

gallery_49445_1273_2448031.jpg

Tarangire NP, 2012

~ @@elefromoz

How many “Wow!”s am I permitted?

That's one classic of a lion-in-tree image.

It doesn't get any finer than that!

Beautiful!

Thank you so much for posting it.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie noted and I understand your viewpoint fully. Cheers mate!

(thanks for the compliments too)

What do you teach?

~ @@Morkel Erasmus

Field Observation, Ecological Analysis, Species Identification, Scientific Research Communication, plus an honors class for Life Science and Clinical Medicine majors focussed on the life of researchers apart from laboratory bench work.

I'm blessed to be able to do for a living what I enjoy doing — ecological observation and analysis.

I'm dead serious in expressing admiration for your work, as it consistently has that ‘special extra something’ which separates the truly outstanding from the very good.

It's inspiring to know that someone with talents of your calibre is devoted to a life centered around wildlife and conservation.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie, well thank you, but very much a case of being in the right place at the right time, rather than any skill with the camera. anyway, glad you enjoyed it

michael-ibk

@@elefromoz

That IS an awesome photo! Really like your avatar btw. :)

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie, well thank you, but very much a case of being in the right place at the right time, rather than any skill with the camera. anyway, glad you enjoyed it

~ @@elefromoz

That you were able to get and share the shot with us is ample evidence of your skills.

I fully concur with @@michael-ibk that you have an especially cool avatar.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-64027100-1432573967_thumb.png

Lion Cub in Grass

Photographed at 9:02 am on 2 August, 2011 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, with an EOS 5D Mark II camera and an EF 300mm f/4L IS telephoto lens.

ISO 100, 1/500 sec., f/5, 300mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

This lion cub strode away from his siblings on his own trek through the breeze-tossed grass stalks.

His confidence was tempered by frequent bouts of hesitation, looking about, sitting down, getting back up to continue his quixotic meandering.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-36046300-1432678984_thumb.jpg

Morning Stretch

Photographed at 10:05 am on 7 February, 2014 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/3200 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

***************************************************************************************************

As typically occurs during morning game drives in Masai Mara, lions were spotting resting around shade-providing vegetation.

This lioness stretched, walked a few steps, then lay down again, preferring the reveries of slumber to the rigors of reality.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-64050700-1433169085_thumb.jpg

Affection Knows No Bounds

Photographed at 3:26 pm on 7 February, 2014 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 100, 1/1250 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

Two lionesses returned to the pride we were watching, setting off a series of affectionate interactions, accompanied by soft yet audible sounds.

There was a sense of being an intruder at a private event to so closely observe the greeting rituals engaged in between the returning lionesses and the others.

There are times on a safari when one feels exceptionally privileged to see at close range what few others will ever know.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-07729400-1433765339_thumb.jpg

Leonine Gaze
Photographed at 3:25 pm on 7 February, 2014 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.
ISO 100, 1/1000 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.
There are never enough lions. I'm not predator obsessed or bird obsessed or antelope obsessed or reptile obsessed. I like everything! Yet lions remain a firm favorite.
Their eyes have soulful quality to which my own old heart responds. This pater familias was in the midst of an extensive pride, gazing at us with unfathomable thoughts.

Peter Connan

Lovely eye-contact Tom!

Tom Kellie

Lovely eye-contact Tom!

~ @@Peter Connan

Thank you so much!

He must have been looking straight at the center of the lens at the moment the shutter was pushed.

I don't know what there is about me and lions, but I'm awfully fond of them.

To tell the truth, they've always struck me as being a big cat with a few dog-like characteristics.

...And I rather like dogs!

Crazy Tom!

Tom K.

Central Serengeti, 2012

gallery_49445_1273_1499108.jpg

Tom Kellie

gallery_49445_1273_1499108.jpg

“Lioness Atop a Fossilized Giant Tortoise”

• 2 weeks later...

Selinda, Botswana, 2013

18151070633_b1d06d6327_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-05319800-1435966392_thumb.jpg

It's Good to be Loved

Photographed at 3:23 pm on 7 February, 2014 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 100, 1/2000 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

We'd parked near a clump of bushes under which a lion pride was sprawled. They suddenly went alert when a pair of lions approached them from downwind.

Upon recognizing one another, exchanges of affection occurred, with one of the returning lions squeezed between others in ‘the look of love’, lion-style.

• 3 weeks later...
Wild Dogger

Lion stalking Zebras close to Lion Camp, SLNP

gallery_5715_1316_433658.jpg