See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

RSPB Birdwatch: Europe's big freeze brings flocks of rare birds to Britain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 03:56 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

Reports www.guardian.co.uk.

The deep winter freeze across northern Europe and Russia has driven many exotic and unusual birds into Britain's back gardens on a weekend when more than half a million people are taking part in the world's biggest wildlife survey.

Amateur ornithologists are being told to "expect the unexpected" as they turn out for the annual RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, including spectacular flocks of rarely seen waxwings that have been forced into towns and cities across the UK by a shortage of berries in their native Scandinavia and Russia.

To read the full article click here.

Are you taking part in the RSPB survey?

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,017 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

I saw in my local newspaper - apparently, the Amur Falcon was seen in our town. Not sure where it was migrating from or going to.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#3 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,017 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

http://www.africanra...inally-plotted/

this is what i discovered from a simple google search :huh:

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#4 Zimbo_Mukiwa

Zimbo_Mukiwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 AM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

I was told by family, now living in the U.K. that in the New Forest, a very rear sighting of the 'White Tailed Eagle' they think itís probably from Scandinavia and been blown down by the weather. You normally have to go to the top of Scotland to see one.
READ HERE
Zimbo_Mukiwa "Protecting Africa's wildlife and wild landscapes is the key to the future prosperity of Africa and its people!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Given the right help, even the rarest creatures can return from the brink. If we show the will, nature will find the way."
"wildlife cannot be saved singly; you have to protect their constant environment, which includes protecting all forms of their prey/food sources from poaching activities and their home ranges being invaded by human population explosion. It is about protecting their environment."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

Submitted my results a few hours ago, sadly nothing too unusual just a few extra chaffinches and some bramblings.

A white-tailed eagle over the New Forest would certainly be a rare sight these days but in centuries past they probably bred all along the south coast. Vagrants to sometimes show up on the east coast of England having come over from Germany or the Netherlands where they have recently started breeding. Following their successful reintroduction to the west coast of Scotland a new reintroduction project was started on the east coast in 2007. However a proposal to reintroduce them to the Suffolk Coast has so far been put on hold due to local opposition and is unlikely to go ahead. Though given that their recolonisation of the Netherlands was entirely unassisted they will hopefully come back naturally someday and once again breed in England.

#6 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

I also sent in my sightings.

The only unusual birds were a flock of 6 reed buntings and a blackcap. We are not too far from water and they have started coming into gardens when the weather gets very cold (-6C in my garden before heading for Brussels).
What pays stays.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.