Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Buy a Bike for Chipembele

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,538 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

A joint appeal from Safaritalk and Chipembele

The Chipembele Wildlife Education Centre is a community initiative in the Luangwa Valley, Zambia, teaching local school children about wildlife and conservation. Whilst visiting, David Shepherd, noted British artist and conservationist said:

"The Government of Zambia and all its peoples will surely thank you ultimately for what you have both achieved. I have been to a number of Education Centres for conservation all over the world in the forty years that I have been involved with wildlife but have NEVER experienced such an example of dedication and inspiration -your Centre is unique and all I can say is congratulations!"

In running the Centre, Steve and Anna Tolan provide a valuable service to the children in helping them understand the importance of the environment and wildlife in the Luangwa Valley. But in addition to the centre they provide financial and logistical support for children of the Mfuwe Secondary School. With a number of projects they are involved in; one way that they help the children is by providing bicycles for them to use. In her own words, Anna says:

“Many of them live along way from the school, sometimes taking them 2 to 3 hours to walk there and the same home again. As the school starts at 7am they are often late, particularly in the rainy season or tired when they arrive. I have so many of them asking me for bicycles that it would be difficult choosing but I would have to do it in consultation with the teachers to find the most deserving case!”

Posted Image

Luangwa Valley schoolgirl Margret with her new bike.

Margret’s story.

Margret Nambeye is an orphan, her father died in 1999 and mother died in 2000. Margret then lived with her elderly grandmother who she had to wash, cook and clean for. Sadly the grandmother passed away last year and Margret is now cared for by an Aunt who has several children of her own and nobody is working in the family. Their subsistence crops for the year were destroyed by the floods in February so it will be a tough year for them all. The bike will help the family in all sorts of ways such as collection of firewood and water from the nearby well etc.

www.safaritalk.net and The Chipembele Wildlife Education Centre.

www.safaritalk.net is an internet based African safari forum which focuses on wildlife conservation, habitat preservation and community issues and initiatives, such as Chipembele in Zambia. Having previously donated to Chipembele and personally seen how my money was utilised on the ground, in association with Anna Tolan Safaritalk is jointly launching the “Buy a Bike for Chipembele” campaign with the hope to raise money enough to buy a number of bikes for the children of the Luangwa Valley.

A full donation of seventy U.K pounds, (or equivalent) will be sufficient to supply one child with one bike and a number of spares to ensure its longevity. Donations in part can be combined until the cost of a bike is met, for even a small amount can achieve something: one only has to look at the Safaritalk article entitled “The 25 dollar donation - does it make a difference?” to see how. All donations are made via The Chipembele Trust and details of how to donate can be found at the Chipembele website here: www.chipembele.org/howtodonate.htm. Safaritalk itself takes no role in the donation process. But by launching this appeal it is our hope to raise interest and hopefully generate donations so many bikes can be purchased. Even just funds enough for one will change somebody’s life, perhaps the child’s who needs it so desperately, or even yours knowing how you have helped, and receiving a thankyou letter from that child in Zambia.

Posted Image

Moyo Wisdom and his new bike - it means he no longer walks 15 km to school.

Wisdom’s story

Moyo Wisdom, "Wisdom" is 15 and is in Grade 9 at Mfuwe Secondary School. He is an orphan. He lost his mother when he was 6 and his father when he was 10. His father was a retired game scout. He has 2 sisters and 1 brother, all younger than him and at Primary School. They are all cared for by an Uncle who has a child of his own and who isn't working, just subsistence farming. He lives about 15 miles from the school so his Uncle usually brings him on his bike with all his luggage each week where he boards in the boys dormitory and then goes home at the weekends.

Posted Image

Steve and Anna Tolan of the Chipembele Wildlife Education
Centre, Luangwa Valley, Zambia.

Who buys the bike?

Steve and Anna Tolan, formerly Police Officers in England emigrated to Zambia in 1998 in order to establish the Chipembele Wildlife Education Centre. On moving to Zambia they were fortunate enough to be given some land by the late Chief Kakumbi on which to build the Centre, located on the banks of the Luangwa River opposite South Luangwa National Park, approximately 16km south of Mfuwe. They established a charitable trust and used all their personal savings to finance it. They are now running the Centre from their own personal finances and with the help of private donations.

In cooperation with Mfuwe Secondary School’s senior teacher Anna chooses a child who will receive the bicycle, based upon their needs and circumstances. Once that child is chosen they are asked to take responsibility for maintaining the bicycle, giving them a pride of ownership. And should the donor wish so, Anna will arrange for the recipient to send a personal letter thanking them. With his permission, here is the letter I received from Moyo Wisdom.

"Dear Matthew / Liz,

How are you by this moment? Back to me just okey. I can be happy if you are fine with all your family.

The main point of writing this letter is that, I want to thank you for helping me a bicycle which I didn't espect. I was always looking for a means of finding money so that I can buy a bicycle, but unfortunately God has pass by you and buy a bicycle for me.

My village is Chulu, so from my village to school it is approximately 12 kilometer which is a long distance. And I usually face problems during rain seasons cause I always cross rivers (2).

I can say please continue this spirit of helping and may God bless you.

Yours sencery

Moyo Wisdom" (sic)

What will your fifty pound donation buy?

Seventy pounds will stretch to purchase a bike and some spares, (2 tyres and 2 tubes, 10 spokes, 10 caps, a front hub) plus get it serviced (checked over, spokes reset and all bolts tightened etc). There is often enough left over to perhaps buy a blanket for use in Mfuwe Secondary School’s dormitory and some pocket money for the bike’s new owner.

How will you benefit?

How often will you have the chance to change someone’s life? Because by donating enough to “Buy a Bike for Chipembele” you will benefit the life of a young child from the South Laungwa Valley. That child will thus be able to get to school easily, will be able to help his / her family, will have a sense of responsibility, looking after their new bicycle. If you wish, you will receive a letter from the child offering you the option to keep in contact with them, via the Mfuwe Secondary School.

And who knows, perhaps one day, that young person for whom you helped might turn out to be a conservationist - Hammerskjoeld Simwinga, from the Zambia grew up in an area where rampant illegal wildlife poaching decimated the wild elephant population and left villagers living in extreme poverty, Simwinga developed innovative sustainable community development programs that protect wildlife by improving the lives of local people: he recently won the 2007 Goldman Environment Prize.

Help a child to become the new Hammerskjoeld Simwinga: Buy a Bike for Chipembele.

How to Donate.

The exchange rates as at end of December 2007 have been less favourable. A Bike now costs 340,000 kwacha (the Zambian dollar) which is approximately 70UK Pounds or $US120 or $AUD150 XE Currency Convertor

*Credit Card Donation: www.justgiving.com/chipembele

*Clicking on this link does not commit you to the donation. Plese send Chipembele an email (link is avalable on the justgiving donations page) to inform them the donation is specifically for the Safaritalk/Chipembele Buy a Bike appeal - Anna Tolan will be back in contact with you to inform you of the selected young person who will be the recipient of your gift.

For more information on alternative ways to donate other than credit card click here:
How to Donate to "Buy a Bike for Chipembele"

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

Posted Image

Moyo Wisdom with the bike I bought for him

Moyo Wisdom "Wisdom" is 15 (though looks more like 13, he's quite small) and is in Grade 9 at Mfuwe Secondary School. He is an orphan. He lost his mother when he was 6 and his father when he was 10. His father was a retired game scout. He has 2 sisters and 1 brother, all younger than him and at Primary School. They are all cared for by an Uncle who has a child of his own and who isn't working, just subsistence farming. He lives about 15 miles from the school so his Uncle usually brings him on his bike with all his luggage each week where he boards in the boys dormitory and then goes home at the weekends.

Wisdom has a delightful personality, is really serious about his education and works hard. He came second in a class of about 100 in the end of term tests in April. I met Moyo through Anna Tolan of the Chipembele Wildlife Education Centre: having already made a donation through which she had purchased a bike for another pupil I was keen to do so again and with a senior teacher at the Mfuwe Secondary School it was decided to provide Wisdom with the new bike.

With my fifty pounds via Anna I was able to buy the bike and some spares, (2 tyres and 2 tubes, 10 spokes, 10 caps, a front hub) plus get it serviced (checked over, spokes reset and all bolts tightened etc). I also bought him a blanket as the one he has is very thin with holes in, and gave him K2000 change (25p!). He was absolutely thrilled and promises to take care of it (he has to maintain it himself now, that's the deal).

I was thrilled to today receive a letter from Wisdom thanking me for the bike and with his permission I am publishing word for word its contents below:

"Dear Matthew / Liz,

How are you by this moment? Back to me just okey. I can be happy if you are fine with all your family.

The main point of writing this letter is that, I want to thank you for helping me a bicycle which I didn't espect. I was always looking for a means of finding money so that I can buy a bicycle, but unfortunately God has pass by you and buy a bicycle for me.

My village is Chulu, so from my village to school it is approximately 12 kilometer which is a long distance. And I usually face problems during rain seasons cause I always cross rivers (2).

I can say please continue this spirit of helping and may God bless you.

Yours sencery

Moyo Wisdom"
(sic)

Along with the letter Wisdom drew me some pictures of the area in which he lives, the Luangwa Valley and I will endeavour to scan and publish these soon.

The donation I made was fifty pounds. To him it was priceless. Just knowing what a difference it has made to him is priceless for me and I won't try to explain my emotions upon first reading his letter.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,538 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:26 AM

Having scanned the two drawings that Wisdom did for me, I'd like to share them with you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More than anything, his letter and these drawings provide me such a connection with his life in the Luangwa Valley that I actually feel a part of it. The fifty pounds donation I made which supplied Wisdom with this bike, is to quote a well known credit card advert - "Priceless". One can only imagine what his journey to school must be like!

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.