Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Pimping my (safari) ride

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 tonypark

tonypark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Dik Dik, lekker, ek se! Haven't I seen you in the SA 4x4 readers' rides section?

Thanks for a fun stay in CT.

#22 OurLifeInSlowMotion

OurLifeInSlowMotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 02:44 PM
  • Category 1:Lodge Owner/Manager
  • Category 2:Safari Guide

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

Hey there, its so nice to see we are not the only people obsessed with their landy. We have recently aquired our '88 V8, also a hard top with two seats (although previous owner fitted backseats..which will be leaving the vehicle shortly).She is called Armour-dillo.

We have all these ideas and are documenting it step for step.... we first fitted a new nose complete with 8000 pound winch. What a bargain when we realised we get the winch too on purchase. River crossings should be easy now...cast the hook over the river,hook on a tree and press "play"....wallah!! Bushveld waterskiing in its own glory! hehehehe :)New nose pictured here

Posted Image

Yesterday we gave her some brand new boots and now she looks so stylish and handles like a dream!

Posted Image

Quite a few things next on the list and suggestions are welcome on where to go...we have Pretoria and the East Rand easily available.....

3 second 2man tent (we have a larger tent already for `longer stays)
fridge/freezer
ammo box drawer system (custon made design)

Also, anyone have a suggestion on a good mattress to use? Air matrresses really"let us down" in the past! Literally!!

As you can see,,,Armour-dillo is an empty shell and we are going to have the time of our lives fixing her up and having adventures.

Posted Image

Keep us posted on Broomas please....its so interesting to see peoples ideas!

Edited by OurLifeInSlowMotion, 12 May 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#23 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 14,002 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

That second image isn't the right link, let me know what it should be and I'll edit it in...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#24 OurLifeInSlowMotion

OurLifeInSlowMotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

aha!! I have learnt how to edit my posts and now the pictures are there :D..... that pic should show up now?? Im getting there, lol.

Edited by OurLifeInSlowMotion, 12 May 2011 - 06:54 AM.

#25 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 14,002 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Yes, ideal. Looks like a great old Landy. V8? Petrol? Must cost a fortune to run... With regard to the tent, are you going to have it roof mounted? Don't forget that vital beer fridge...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#26 OurLifeInSlowMotion

OurLifeInSlowMotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

Yes, ideal. Looks like a great old Landy. V8? Petrol? Must cost a fortune to run... With regard to the tent, are you going to have it roof mounted? Don't forget that vital beer fridge...

Yep, she is a petrol V8 motor, but truthfully we have no real idea how much she costs us..lol...with working on the reserve we hardly go anywhere...and we havent had her long enough yet. Off to Jozi,then Sun City next week...a good tester for fuel cost.

We were originally thinking rooftop,but, after chatting to a few people and re-looking our camping equipment,we decided to use what we already have. Rooftop seems practical in some respects but a combersome thing to lug around.We have no garage etc to store when not used,so it will have to be on the roof permanently. Apparently thats suicide for fuel consumption!

How does a 74ltr fridge/freezer for food AND an electric cooler box sound??? No ways we can go without cold beer and TAB for our brandy!

#27 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

This is what my Jeep looked like without the new tyres. - If you look carefully you can see the suspension lift and the long range tank. biggrin.gif
gallery_4095_320_43552.jpg

This is what it looks like with the new tyres.

gallery_4095_320_41475.jpg

OK - Dont ask why, but this old ride has also been pimped somewhat. 

1385100_731982573483297_167605738_n.jpg

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.