Jack's Camp, Meno a Kwena, then home!

Jan

There will be photos of dancing Jan, yes?

Looking forward to the album with or without that particular shot.

Edited by Atravelynn

No! Super had strict instructions!

Jan

No! Super had strict instructions!

Jan

Though I am disappointed at this omission, I will still be eager to read the remainder of your report.

Though I am disappointed at this omission, I will still be eager to read the remainder of your report.

Although I may be wrong (it happens sometimes), I think Jan finished her report back in post #3......

Although I may be wrong (it happens sometimes), I think Jan finished her report back in post #3......

Not only does my appearance as a Giant Forest Hog mar Jan's report, but now I've tarnished it again with a dumb question.

Seriously, I read the part about Meno a Kwena being a nice place to end a safari and there were zebra coming to drink in a line. That just whetted my appetite for more info on this camp that I have heard about before with mixed results. That's why I wanted to know how it went for Jan, a vetern of the desert environment.

But if that's wrap I understand.

Let me tease a little more out of Jan about Meno a Kwena with some questions.

Did you go on game drives there?

What sort of species did you see?

In general how did you spend you days?

How did the place differ from other Kalahari regions?

What's nice about these questions is that none of them require illustration with any photos of dancing.

Atravelynn, that really was the end of my report. I don't do detailed reports these days [never did, actually], but

that's not to say that I don't enjoy other people's. Meno a Kwena is the kind of place where you can do a lot or

nothing. I always go there for a couple of nights at the end of my safari. My last camp these days is always Jack's,

and then Super and I drive down in the morning, taking lunch with us on the way, we arrive early afternoon and then

just chillout until dinner time. When I first visited there was just a pumped pool below the cliffs, with a hide on a path

halfway down. Now, with the Boteti River in full flow it is even better.

At the camp you can go for an early morning walk, and then visit the National Park which is half an hour away. I have

done that in the past. I just stay for two nights and then we drive into Maun to catch the Jo'burg flight.

This last time we just sat on the top, or more precisely lounged on day beds and watched the animals coming down

to drink. When I had made that decision Super told me that it was the first day this year [ this was 4 November] that

he had not got into his vehicle and driven! He really appreciated the rest, and said that I was the only guest he could

accept it from. We go back a long time, I first visited Jack's in 1994.

Davd Dugdale owns the camp and it is run in a very relaxed way. The tents are all individually decorated with all sorts

of interesting objects, and the loo behind the dining tent has so many family photos and nicknacks that that you

almost don't want to come out. The food is good and all the staff are welcoming, and you also meet a variety of

interesting people from around the world.

I love the place. To me it's perfect for winding down at the end of a safari, and I'm booked in for next November.

It probably wouldn't suit everyone, but I am now a devotee !

Jan

Jan, that is a really nice description of the camp and it sounds perfect for r&r which could just as easily be at the beginning of a safari (for jetlag purposes) as at the end.

I've met people at Meno a Kwena who've just finished a mobile, are self drivers, just arriving, or like me, as a last stop

before going home. It suits all types. It's a really relaxing place, you can do as much or as little as you want. I'm always

sorry to leave.

Jan

I've met people at Meno a Kwena who've just finished a mobile, are self drivers, just arriving, or like me, as a last stop

before going home. It suits all types. It's a really relaxing place, you can do as much or as little as you want. I'm always

sorry to leave.

Jan

Your leave of absence never seems to be too long though. :)

• 4 years later...

post-49296-0-47159700-1435255412_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-89467900-1435255433_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-37618200-1435255450_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-60393300-1435255464_thumb.jpg

~ @@Jan

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE these CRAZY images!

Many thanks for posting them!

Tom K.