Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Zimbabwe Poaching Part 1 & 2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zimbo_Mukiwa

Zimbo_Mukiwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local time: 06:26 PM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

Zim Poaching
Date:17 October 2010 07:00
Producer: Neil Shaw Show:Carte Blanche

Charles Brightman (Vic Falls Anti-Poaching Unit): 'There's no hiding that Zimbabwe's been through some hardships over the last ten years or so. And people have capitalised on that... harsh economic times, political instability as it were. But it makes us that much more stronger to say, 'Right, enough is enough, and we're not going to let this happen; and we're going to do what we can, as best as we can, to fight it.''
See Video HereČ
You have to scroll through the video list to see Zim Poaching part 1 and part 2 videos

...sorry GW, can you move this to Zimbabwe section. My mistake.

Edited by Zimbo_Mukiwa, 18 October 2010 - 09:48 PM.

Zimbo_Mukiwa "Protecting Africa's wildlife and wild landscapes is the key to the future prosperity of Africa and its people!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Given the right help, even the rarest creatures can return from the brink. If we show the will, nature will find the way."
"wildlife cannot be saved singly; you have to protect their constant environment, which includes protecting all forms of their prey/food sources from poaching activities and their home ranges being invaded by human population explosion. It is about protecting their environment."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,726 posts
  • Local time: 06:26 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

Done, as I said on Facebook, very depressing, Zim will take so long to recover, when eventually Mugabe's regime is over - but when over, who will control the war vets? (So called some of them). How will law and order be re-established? Will they want to collaborate with conservationists? Is bribery with money the only way to get them to lay down arms and stop the wildlife slaughter? Is there enough money to counter that of the criminal poaching syndicates? There are people doing very fine work, of all creeds and backgrounds in Zim and I have the utmost respect for them. I wish I was in a position to finance more of their work.

The question is, once Mugabe is gone, how to return Zim to the way it was. It is going to be a hard path, and it will probably never be the same. To much damage has already been done. What do you think Zimbo? What are your thoughts from the field...

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,607 posts
  • Local time: 02:56 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

Zimbo, I would also be interested in your "on the ground" opinion. I get a sense that tourism is increasing again, I hope that is a good thing for the people trying to protect Zim's wildlife.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#4 dikdik

dikdik

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

I have the highest regard for the selfless people who have worked tirelessly and for no compensation to try and curb or slow down the decline of their natural resources. These people are true hero's fighting a losing battle in the trenches.

It is still difficult to comprehend that Mugabe has his stranglehold on the people and the country.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.