inyathi

Gabon and São Tomé & Principe 10th Feb to the 2nd March 2008

56 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@jeremie i will look forward to hearing all about your intrepid journeys to this little travelled Gabon.

@inyathi the itinerary is very tempting. I would love to see the hippos and elephants on the beach - that is just fascinating. but next year - for the moment - is out for me. perhaps steppes or more TOs will offer similar itineraries in 2019?! 

Edited by Kitsafari
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have juste received a quotation from Loango Lodge and further explanation about the gorilla project. I have attached the program to this post. It is about 2150 euros per person on a base of 2 pax for 5 nights for the 2018 rainy season.

This includes transport to Tassi Camp, aerial transport from Libreville to Port Gentil (Way in and out), transport between Port Gentil and Loango Lodge, one gorilla permit and safari at 500 USD per person.

I think it might be very nice to add one more day on the Akaka river.

The Loango primate project was launched in 2005 by the Max Planck Institute. They have finish the habituation project of a family of 17 western lowland gorillas in June 2016 and are currently working on a Chimps habituation project there too.

http://www.eva.mpg.de/primat/research-groups/gorillas/projects.html

It really seems that Loango could shortly compete with places like Dzangha Sangha or Odzala. It is more convenient for pricing and transport (even if it is long to get to Loango) It is easiy to get the visa to Gabon with a e-visa system. Landscapes are very different from those seen in Mbeli an (Nouabele Ndoki), Odazala and Dzangha Sangha), which abundant wildlife to be seen by boat or by jeep in the mixes savanna forest landscape.

Hope that someone will motivate to visit the place like @Inyathi did!

Microsoft Word - LOANGO (rain) 5 day 4 nigh Packag-ROAD transf.docx.pdf

Edited by jeremie
4 people like this

@jeremie 

Thanks for posting that itinerary, it's interesting to see that they are building a road from Port Gentil to Ombooue, getting to Loango NP by road has always been extremely difficult and not really a practical option, Gabon isn't exactly overburdened with roads. I’m guessing that flying into the park is still no longer an option, but driving would in any case be much cheaper and a better option than going by sea where I could imagine that if the weather is bad and the sea is rough you might not be able to go or could end up having an unpleasant journey. It says that it will take 4-5 hours but presumably it will be a good bit shorter once the highway has been completed. It would certainly in my view be a good idea to have more time on the river as this gives you more chance of seeing the red-capped mangabeys and other monkeys which you would be very unlikely see when driving and you might also get lucky and catch a glimpse of a manatee. You’d probably see a good few more birds as well at least the waterbirds though you should see some of these around the Lagoon.

I think once the road is finished and it’s very easy to get to and from Libreville that will make a huge difference and actual just doing a trip like this, seeing the gorillas and the elephants 'on the beach' near La louri Lagoon and the buffaloes, sitatungas and red river hogs on the savannah around Tassi and then heading to STP to explore the islands and their colonial history or find their endemic birds if you're a birder and a perhaps a spot of beach time, would make for a great trip.

5 people like this

The trip mentioned earlier organized by Steppes is cancelled due to lack of interest... which really sucks since I've been on the shortlist for since earlier this year :-(

Anyone has any tip on someone else doing a small group trip? @jeremie? I have been waiting for many years now...

Posted (edited)

@Jakob that is kind of strange to me that they canceled the trip - it said it would depart January 2019 - I would think they have more time to get people on board with it?

Edited by SafariChick

It was originally planned for Jan 2018, which will not happen. But they will make a new try for Jan 2019 as you say.

1 person likes this