See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

"Don't look behind You"

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,024 posts
  • Local time: 03:01 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hello All,

This book by Peter Allison, is the long awaited sequel to "Whatever you do, don't run". Like most sequels, be it books or movies - not nearly as captivating as the original version.

For those that missed the original book - it's a collection of entertaining short stories of Peter Allison's guiding days in Botswana and South Africa, with most of his time spent at Mombo camp in the Okavango.

Nearly the first half of this book seemed to be stuck in "neutral" and lacked the entertainment punch one would anticipate from this book. Luckily, it picked up from his continuation of stories from Mombo and other parts of Botswana - notably, the Leopard that visited him one day at his tent, the local Lion Pride from Mombo and the dis-heartening story of the buffalo.

In particular, I enjoyed his chapter from Linyanti Tented Camp. Those of you familiar with those cheeky Linyanti Elephants will relate to this episode.

Overall, a worthwile read - salvaged by the second half of the book.

I am sure this book is widely available everywhere. I picked up my copy at JNB airport, but, hadn't the time to read it until now.
  • armchair bushman likes this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#2 Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Local time: 04:01 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hari,

I bought this book in Jo'burg last October, and agree with you. I too have also got his first book, and think

that he should have stopped at that one. I'm a sucker for any safari/Africa books, so will keep buying anyway.

Jan

#3 Pangolin

Pangolin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Local time: 08:01 AM
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

I agree with Jan and Hari. Enjoyed the first book quite a lot, not so much the second.
One pangolin to rule them all......

#4 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,464 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

I have read the first one too. I particularly liked the story about the annoying birder and the wattled starling behind the leopard. I know which one I would have been looking at... :rolleyes: .
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#5 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,833 posts
  • Local time: 05:01 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

Just read this one.

While I agree that it´s not as humurous as its (brilliant) predecessor I still very much liked it. I liked how Allison described the not so positive sides of the business, and I really felt with him when he wrote about his horror after learning his beloved cheetah with the deformed tail was put down. The Linyanti Bush Camp espisode with the agressive elefants or him being hunted by that lioness were thrilling, and I particularly liked the episode about the tree-stuck python, a perfect circle-of-life-and-death story. The last chapter is very(almost shockingly) personal.

All in all, a very enjoyable read, and I for one wouldn´t mind a third Africa book. :)

#6 Marks

Marks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 AM
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

I'd also go for a third installment. Enjoyed both thoroughly.

#7 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:25 AM

Ditto - we need a third, Peter! 

#8 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Local time: 07:01 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:45 AM

I read both of Peter Allison's books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I remember the incident of a white rhino which tried to rape a land cruiser,it was hilarious.

Edited by optig, 10 May 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#9 armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Local time: 06:01 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed the first book - so this is a new one to add to the list!  Thanks everyone for their opinions.

#10 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

Peter Allison also wrote a book not about Africa but about his time in South America called "How to Walk a Puma: and Other Things I Learned While Stumbling Through South America." Apparently, when he was 19 he flipped a coin as to whether he would go to Africa or South America as he wanted to explore both. Africa won, but many years later he finally went to South America. There, he volunteered at a wildlife sanctuary where he was given the job of "walking" (more like running) the resident puma, a task that was no easy feat and led to many an injury and many a humorous anecdote. There are other stories in this book as well and it is well worth a read.

• JohnR and armchair bushman like this

#11 Don't Run

Don't Run

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm very glad so many of you enjoyed it, and for those that didn't like it so much a small explanation (not an excuse). Sequels often suffer, not due to lack of material, but because writers fall into the trap of attempting to please the critics of their first work and not those who really enjoyed it. This is doubly daft as the critics are unlikely to read the second work and you run the risk of alienating those that enjoyed your first work. 
Currently I don't have the time nor material to write at all (I've just joined a startup safari company called Natural Selection and have my first child due in two weeks) but with upcoming trips to Chad, Congo and other exciting places I just may get myself into enough trouble to have something to start pecking at the keyboard again.

Thanks again, Peter. 

• Game Warden, ZaminOz, kittykat23uk and 10 others like this

#12 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

I read all three some time ago when I was stocking up for a trip. Enjoyed all, but my favourite was definitely the puma walking.

Edited by JohnR, 12 May 2016 - 09:46 AM.

• SafariChick likes this
What pays stays.

#13 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,833 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

Same here, loved all three. The Puma walks were quite hilarious. Go write a new one, @Don´t Run - we demand it!. :)

• SafariChick likes this

#14 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

@Don't Run Congatulations on the upcoming birth and for the foundation of your new company. Do feel free to promote it on Safaritalk's Operators Forum.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#15 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

@Don't Run Big congrats on the upcoming birth of your child and the new company, and when you get a chance, just remember you have a lot of fans out here waiting for another book!

#16 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Local time: 07:01 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

@Don't Run I wish to congratulate you in advance on the birth of your new born child.Of course, I also wish the best for the foundation of your new safari company.All of us would like to know where you'll be offering trips to.Will you be going to Chad,CAR, the Congo and other destinations which are truly off the beaten track?

Edited by optig, 13 May 2016 - 06:55 AM.

#17 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,731 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

@Don't Run if you continue to write the way you've posted here, you will always make me smile. your wit keeps me smiling. (you can tell I read all 3 books but the first was my all time fav and the puma comes a close second. no prize for the third)   :rolleyes:  and my favourite story ever - the safari vehicle stuck in the middle of a croc-infested pond in okavango. 

• optig likes this

#18 Bushfire

Bushfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

should I first read '...don't run' and then '...behind you', or doesn't it matter in which order I read them?

(just purchased '...behind you')

#19 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,024 posts
  • Local time: 03:01 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:21 PM

should I first read '...don't run' and then '...behind you', or doesn't it matter in which order I read them?

(just purchased '...behind you')

If you have both - read "behind you" first - simply because it isn't nearly as exciting as the first one.  The sequence doesn't really matter

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.