See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Your favourite safari destination

poll safari country

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is your favourite safari destination? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Please vote below

1. South Africa (10 votes [8.77%])

Percentage of vote: 8.77%

2. Kenya (20 votes [17.54%])

Percentage of vote: 17.54%

3. Tanzania (17 votes [14.91%])

Percentage of vote: 14.91%

4. Zambia (16 votes [14.04%])

Percentage of vote: 14.04%

5. Zimbabwe (6 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

6. Botswana (38 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

7. Namibia (3 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

8. Mozambique (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Angola (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Rwanda (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Uganda (1 votes [0.88%])

Percentage of vote: 0.88%

12. Other (3 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

Maybe we will come full circle one day? Maybe there is an operator out there that comes back to the "bush experience" one day ...... there's always "Hope"

First you must forbid all the brainwashing ads of the beauty industry. And think of all these "essential" digital and communication devices most people can't live without.

Have you ever thought about how life was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago? And how life has changed in Western cultures? Most of today's people appear like drug addicts to me, totally addicted to gadgets and illusions, no longer able just to enjoy simple life.

You can't turn back the wheel of time, the wheel of "progress". Thus I have no hope that we'll see those times of "bush experience" again.

#42 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts
  • Local time: 03:28 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:50 AM

Never say never ............ it's simply because of this addict-style life-style, that the smart operator will go back to the "bush experience" and probably charge high, for that kind of "unique" back to the 70sAfrica experience? who knows......

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#43 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

the smart operator will go back to the "bush experience" and probably charge high, for that kind of "unique" back to the 70sAfrica experience?

Of course it will be "authentic". And in the middle of camp, covered by a reed wall, you will find the WiFi antenna...

#44 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:53 AM

Ah yes, that will attract the email addicts ......... "Geeee it's 10 o clock - gotta go to my tent to check messages that were promised to me. yeah, we saw the wild dogs yesterday, didn't we?"

:blink: :blink: :o :( :huh: :o :) :lol:

#45 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

The most "authentic" it will get in the Sabi Sands is, some places may put a tracker back up in the "tracker seat" - oh forgot - they are still on strike, though.......... :o

#46 Guest_sniktawk_*

Guest_sniktawk_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

I think this poll would be better if we were allowed a first, second and third choice!

Hardly any votes for Namibia and none for SA?

#47 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,634 posts
  • Local time: 12:58 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:06 AM

I think this poll would be better if we were allowed a first, second and third choice!

Hardly any votes for Namibia and none for SA?

Yes, I agree. Give it on a points basis, 3, 2 and 1.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#48 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:00 AM

Ken has a valid point.

I suppose a poll is going to be different based on the specific forum and market.

For example., on F ........ SA could easily be top two or three. Yet, here it lays a big goose egg!

#49 rickmck

rickmck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:40 AM

Game Warden

I know the right person who could sort us out with a tent and machete in Malawi, we'd have to cut our own access paths and it would certainly mean having to do everything ourselves. Certainly not commercial at all...

GW, if you were to organize this, I am sure you would soon have a full complement of participants... I think you could likely count me in!

#50 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Game Warden

I know the right person who could sort us out with a tent and machete in Malawi, we'd have to cut our own access paths and it would certainly mean having to do everything ourselves. Certainly not commercial at all...

GW, if you were to organize this, I am sure you would soon have a full complement of participants... I think you could likely count me in!

Me too, but I'd line up behind whoever wields the biggest machete! Feel free to post machete photos. Perhaps on the dirty picture test thread :angry:
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#51 Hennie

Hennie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

Pfff very difficult question.

But i vote for Botswana ,less crowded than Kenya and Botswana very nice for a selfdrive.

Cheers

#52 tracker

tracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:46 AM

I don't see a category for my favorite but my favorite safari destinations is always my NEXT!

#53 Serengetiman

Serengetiman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:44 AM

I fortunattely have the chance to visit eight countries in Africa and since Im a wildlife photographer my main concern are obviously the animals. I have read a lot about adventures and hunting in old books since my young days. To live and work amog wild animals in Africa was always my childhood dream. Almost all the old books on african adventures deal with histories passed in Kenya. Since the firt time I set my foot in Kenya for the first time in 1987 this countrie was transformed in my mind in the most beautifull countrie in the world. I have travelled to Tanzania (second best), Uganda, Rwanda, South Africa, Botswana (fourth best), Namibia (third best), and Zimbabwe (only to Victoria Falls) and looking back any of then entered in my soul with such a force and nothing can compare with that beautiful and diverse countrie as Kenya as I used to call "The Land". Places like Mathews Range, Ndoto Mountains, Chyulu Hills, Lake Turkana, Marsabit, Samburu are great for safaris and the isolation complete, no minibuses at all except some in Samburu. In Masai Mara if you go to some remote areas you will be free from the minibuses too. Serengeti in Tanzania is absolutely fantastic and the park is so big that sometimes you spend the full day alone. Seronera in the hearth of Serengeti is a beautifull place I would love to live there for the rest of my life, among that thousands of acacias and lions. Ngorongoro is a gem, a jewell in Tanzania, what a place. Etosha in Namibia is great for wildlife pictures, is a bit civilized for my taste, but is great, a very safe countrie to travel! Botswana has the incredible Kalahari, if you look for a place without other tourists this is the place for you. Im a bit deceptioned with Moremi and Chobe parks, but amazed with the sunset cruise boat in Chobe from Kasane, great! Africa is the land for real adventurers, people that loves lonely places and the total feeling of freedon of the big open spaces. I would love to live a thousand years because Africa s to diverse with so many places to explore and travel, the life is too short, simply too short to everithing Africa has to offer. Cheers.
  • Tom Kellie and Gilgamesh like this

#54 wildernessman

wildernessman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

My vote has to be the wilderness trails in South Africas Kruger Park where I have spent around 160 nights over the last 25 years , walking in excess of 1000km .
I would like to see other areas , lack of money and time - the travelling steals precious holiday time - I have only 15 working days per annum - precludes me from wandering further .

I have walked more than 1000km in the "big 5" wilderness .

#55 2ksc

2ksc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 04:28 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Just came back from Shamwari in South Africa...simply amazing, best time of my life.

#56 Bongwe

Bongwe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Category 1:Ground Handler
  • Category 2:Ground Handler

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

I chose Zambia for obvious reasons (see my sig). But honestly, as far as destinations that are still relatively untouched by tourism, Zambia has to be up there. Especially the Kafue National Park - one of the largest parks in Africa and very little tourism. The wildlife is fantastic and the prices for Kafue are relatively cheap (compared to the more popular places). You wont see another vehicle your whole trip!

The Luangwa Valley is probably the most famous Zambian safari destination, but it is getting quite busy these days. You notice it most at night when all the night drives are out shining their spotlights. Never the less, still a great safari destination. And of course, we have the Victoria Falls!
Bongwe Safaris offer affordable safaris in Zambia in the Lower Zambezi, Kafue and South Luangwa game parks. We also offer tailor made trips around the country to suit your needs. Day and night drives, Walking safaris, canoe safaris, boating and fishing. http://www.bongwesafaris.com

#57 safaribr

safaribr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

For me the unforgettable experience was the Kalahari in Botswana. Despite the absence of elephants, hippos and buffalo, the desert with its salt pans is incredibly beautiful. Sleeping in a small tent of a mobile safari hearing the sounds of the night just outside is very exciting. And those Kalahari lions with their huge dark manes are really impressive.

But I have to say that all my trips to Africa were great: Kruger, Madikwe, Bostwana, Namibia, and Zambia. Each had a different flavor, landscape and wildlife. All were great.

I am looking forward to my next trip in a few weeks to South Luangwa.

Edited by safaribr, 04 July 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#58 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

For me the unforgettable experience was the Kalahari in Botswana. Despite the absence of elephants, hippos and buffalo, the desert with its salt pans is incredibly beautiful. Sleeping in a small tent of a mobile safari hearing the sounds of the night just outside is very exciting. And those Kalahari lions with their huge dark manes are really impressive.

But I have to say that all my trips to Africa were great: Kruger, Madikwe, Bostwana, Namibia, and Zambia. Each had a different flavor, landscape and wildlife. All were great.

Safaribr,

Would love to hear a brief synopsis of your Kalahari mobile safari. I did a 2 week mobile in March in the Central Kalahari and absolutely loved it ........ Would love to hear of your experiences.

Enjoy Zambia....

Hari

#59 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,988 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

Just responded to your other thread about Norman Carr - I didn't realise you were going so soon.
Have a great time!!
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#60 wildwings

wildwings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Ground Handler

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

I would perhaps have chosen Botswana if it wasn't for the high cost, but I voted South Africa instead. Very affordable, very accessible, easy to do either on the cheap (self-drive) or top end luxury lodge safaris, plenty fantastic game reserves to choose from.

Onne Vegter
Wild Wings Safaris
www.wild-wings-safaris.com
onne@wild-wings-safaris.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, safari, country

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.