• Zimbabwe
    • Botswana
    • Namibia
    • Mozambique
    • Angola
    • Rwanda
    • Uganda
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

103 posts in this topic

Pfff very difficult question.

But i vote for Botswana ,less crowded than Kenya and Botswana very nice for a selfdrive.

Cheers

I don't see a category for my favorite but my favorite safari destinations is always my NEXT!

I fortunattely have the chance to visit eight countries in Africa and since I´m a wildlife photographer my main concern are obviously the animals. I have read a lot about adventures and hunting in old books since my young days. To live and work amog wild animals in Africa was always my childhood dream. Almost all the old books on african adventures deal with histories passed in Kenya. Since the firt time I set my foot in Kenya for the first time in 1987 this countrie was transformed in my mind in the most beautifull countrie in the world. I have travelled to Tanzania (second best), Uganda, Rwanda, South Africa, Botswana (fourth best), Namibia (third best), and Zimbabwe (only to Victoria Falls) and looking back any of then entered in my soul with such a force and nothing can compare with that beautiful and diverse countrie as Kenya as I used to call "The Land". Places like Mathews Range, Ndoto Mountains, Chyulu Hills, Lake Turkana, Marsabit, Samburu are great for safaris and the isolation complete, no minibuses at all except some in Samburu. In Masai Mara if you go to some remote areas you will be free from the minibuses too. Serengeti in Tanzania is absolutely fantastic and the park is so big that sometimes you spend the full day alone. Seronera in the hearth of Serengeti is a beautifull place I would love to live there for the rest of my life, among that thousands of acacias and lions. Ngorongoro is a gem, a jewell in Tanzania, what a place. Etosha in Namibia is great for wildlife pictures, is a bit civilized for my taste, but is great, a very safe countrie to travel! Botswana has the incredible Kalahari, if you look for a place without other tourists this is the place for you. I´m a bit deceptioned with Moremi and Chobe parks, but amazed with the sunset cruise boat in Chobe from Kasane, great! Africa is the land for real adventurers, people that loves lonely places and the total feeling of freedon of the big open spaces. I would love to live a thousand years because Africa s to diverse with so many places to explore and travel, the life is too short, simply too short to everithing Africa has to offer. Cheers.

2 people like this

My vote has to be the wilderness trails in South Africas Kruger Park where I have spent around 160 nights over the last 25 years , walking in excess of 1000km .

I would like to see other areas , lack of money and time - the travelling steals precious holiday time - I have only 15 working days per annum - precludes me from wandering further .

Just came back from Shamwari in South Africa...simply amazing, best time of my life.

I chose Zambia for obvious reasons (see my sig). But honestly, as far as destinations that are still relatively untouched by tourism, Zambia has to be up there. Especially the Kafue National Park - one of the largest parks in Africa and very little tourism. The wildlife is fantastic and the prices for Kafue are relatively cheap (compared to the more popular places). You wont see another vehicle your whole trip!

The Luangwa Valley is probably the most famous Zambian safari destination, but it is getting quite busy these days. You notice it most at night when all the night drives are out shining their spotlights. Never the less, still a great safari destination. And of course, we have the Victoria Falls!

Posted (edited)

For me the unforgettable experience was the Kalahari in Botswana. Despite the absence of elephants, hippos and buffalo, the desert with its salt pans is incredibly beautiful. Sleeping in a small tent of a mobile safari hearing the sounds of the night just outside is very exciting. And those Kalahari lions with their huge dark manes are really impressive.

But I have to say that all my trips to Africa were great: Kruger, Madikwe, Bostwana, Namibia, and Zambia. Each had a different flavor, landscape and wildlife. All were great.

I am looking forward to my next trip in a few weeks to South Luangwa.

Edited by safaribr

For me the unforgettable experience was the Kalahari in Botswana. Despite the absence of elephants, hippos and buffalo, the desert with its salt pans is incredibly beautiful. Sleeping in a small tent of a mobile safari hearing the sounds of the night just outside is very exciting. And those Kalahari lions with their huge dark manes are really impressive.

But I have to say that all my trips to Africa were great: Kruger, Madikwe, Bostwana, Namibia, and Zambia. Each had a different flavor, landscape and wildlife. All were great.

Safaribr,

Would love to hear a brief synopsis of your Kalahari mobile safari. I did a 2 week mobile in March in the Central Kalahari and absolutely loved it ........ Would love to hear of your experiences.

Enjoy Zambia....

Hari

Just responded to your other thread about Norman Carr - I didn't realise you were going so soon.

Have a great time!!

I would perhaps have chosen Botswana if it wasn't for the high cost, but I voted South Africa instead. Very affordable, very accessible, easy to do either on the cheap (self-drive) or top end luxury lodge safaris, plenty fantastic game reserves to choose from.

Two weeks in Kafue last month have confirmed that Zambia tops my poll.

This time it was in the remoter southern sector and, as Bongwe says, I didn't see another vehicle on any game drive.

On previous trips I have been to north Kafue, South Luangwa ( 3 or 4 times} and the haunting Bangweulu.

Tanzania would be second with Ruaha, Selous, Katavi, Mikumi and Udzungwa, and, of course Serengeti.

Kenya right there too with its magnificent scenery,wildlife and history - and I still haven't seen and want to visit Tsavo!

May there be more safaris ahead and more reasons to reconsider my vote!

1 person likes this

Two weeks in Kafue last month

Are you sure? I've looked through the trip reports forum and found nothing. You wouldn't be making this up would you? :angry:

Yes I'm sure!

Will provide the required evidence shortly.

:angry:

I've only been to Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and South Africa. Next year I'll be in Botswana. I can't decide though, each country has its own merits. And each park in each country is different. I've loved the ruggedeness and the unique species of Samburu, the scenery and the big herds of the Mara, the bird hides and the walks in Kruger, the remoteness of Serengeti etc.

1 person likes this

Oh well here goes my first post on Safari Talk.

And my vote goes to Zambia!

SLNP and the Nsefu section is my favourite.

Leopards, fresh food,leopards, great guides, leopards.

Did I mention the "leopards"?

Elaine

1 person likes this

Definitely Kenya.

2 people like this

Hey, Matt, there's a typo in the topic for this thread. You surely meant "favourite safari destinations", right?

The best I've been to:

- Nsefu, South Luangwa, for the walking and fly camping (Mfuwe area was nice, but a bit too crowded for me)

- Mana Pools, for the walking and canoeing

- Okavango, for the walking and the beauty of the place

- Simien mountains, for the breathtaking vistas

- Namib-Rand for the wide horizons and starry, starry skies

- Bwindi for the magic of tracking gorillas

But I still haven't been to Kafue, Ruaha, Katavi, Godzala, Garamba, Liuwa, and the list goes on...

But vote for just one? Not really possible. Maybe Zambia. Maybe. For now.

1 person likes this

I've never seen this, but I've cast my vote for Zambia (no surprises there I'm sure). South Luangwa remains my favourite destination although Ruaha has given it a run for its money recently.

Time for you Stokeygirl to search through 6 years of ST archives...

Posted (edited)

I noticed that i have never contributed to this thread.

No surprises from me either.

Out of the roughly 50 protected areas I have visited so far in 10 African countries, Katavi edges Mana Pools as my favourite.

But then I also love Meru, Tarangire, Serengeti, North Luangwa, Murchison Falls......and, like Savoche, I still hope to be surprised by future destinations.

Edited by Paolo
1 person likes this

Kenya for me. I find it easy to get to with regards to flying hours and have always loved the friendliness of the people and the variation of landscapes. Samburu as you know is my home from home it is a really beautiful atmospheric place and I have only rarely been bothered by "too many tourists and vehicles".

1 person likes this

My favourite is tanzania .....The word "safari" originates from here .They have got the best of all parks and wildlife in the world .I dont say other countries are not gud but tanzania is at the top.

There is nothing like serengeti and ngorongoro in the world .Also chimpanzee tracking and zanzibar dolphin safari are awsome.

The total wildlife area in highest in africa with high concentration of animals.

Although the country is not economically very strong but still it is most stable peaceful and best wildlife destination in the world.

Has your opinion changed since I first ran the poll? Are you still mostly going to the same destination or have other options become more attractive?

Bots remains my favourite - but, the gap is much more narrow (i'm a big Kenya fan too) .......

2 people like this