• Zimbabwe
    • Botswana
    • Namibia
    • Mozambique
    • Angola
    • Rwanda
    • Uganda
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

103 posts in this topic

I too have some great memories of the old Mombo Trails Camp, although I was there just once, in September 1996, as part of a mobile safari. For once in my life I was on the right end of the "You should have been here (fill in time period of your choice)". Mombo wildlife included in the price of a mobile safari, with no Mombo-like surcharge.

Great wildlife sightings and a nice camp with no raised walkways, plunge pools, or wine tastings. One of my fondest memories is of accompanying the pack of 30 dogs as they successfully hunted an impala and kept a hyena at bay. We saw two packs of dogs, 4 cheetahs, a leopard with cub, a serval, and a caracal during one game drive. Lions killing and eating an impala in our camp (between tents) was quite an experience to hear (or sleep through, which I managed to somehow do for most of it).

We also met Dave Hamman just before "Running Wild" was published.

We have some slides from that era scanned already. I'll get some posted.

Paolo, Jan and Pangolin - Thanks a lot for the inputs. Some fascinating reading, certainly!!!

Maybe, if we discover a new destination - keep it an insider secret? Ofcourse, that's if any good locations remain from the commercialization? I'm sure there's something in Mozambique or Angola or even Zim for that matter? who knows......

No trip reports, no photographs on the internet etc etc.,??? ;)

It would be hard to keep our mouths shut and stay off them keyboards ;)

We could just PM.

Lynn,

I saw F this morning. What was too funny is, a poster thinks Zarafa is the Old Zib or has it written down like this

Zarafa (old Zib) - too funny

Btw, BB does not work in the concession. He is self-employed and is not guiding at either of the Selinda camps at the moment.

It would be hard to keep our mouths shut
We could just PM.
Zarafa (old Zib) - too funny
Pssssstt... not so loud. Should all these people go to Kwando?

The itinerary is funny, too.

Nyama,

To answer your question. NO - a BIG NO!!! I guess, I'd better keep my mouth shut now ;)

The itinerary - the funniest thing about it is the assumption that the woodpile hide is still pumping with thrill a minute action!

Still, I am happy I can treasure my memories of my first look at the Delta from the air, and of those elephants engulfing the Chobe like they were fur seals in a colony.

Excellent prose Paolo - but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words: so get busy scanning those old slides to upload here... please.

Thank you for your compliment (at least, I hope it is a compliment!). As to pictures of those days, I will try and do something, but I am afraid you will have to wait a bit, since, on the one hand, they are still at my old family house (quite far away from where I currently live), and on the other hand I will have to have them scanned and, most of all, if you have not already dedected it by now, ......from a computer/technological viewpoint I am Neanderthal-like!

For the time being, we will live with the pictures that will come from Pangolin.....

most of all, if you have not already dedected it by now, ......from a computer/technological viewpoint I am Neanderthal-like!

As you might have seen from my previous post, I am not good enough even to use face icons properly! ;)

most of all, if you have not already dedected it by now, ......from a computer/technological viewpoint I am Neanderthal-like!

As you might have seen from my previous post, I am not good enough even to use face icons properly! ;)

Paolo, if it is any consolation, I always use the preview button for smilie faces still, as I am never sure if they will work. And sometimes they haven't and I have got a terrible mess!

I have really enjoyed all the old Okavango reminiscences.

I, too, was a regular, with my husband, at Mombo in the early days when

Dave Hamman and Helene were managers.

Jan,

Did you ever meet Annie (Anne-marie) Zambelli? She was assistant manager to Dave & Helene.

Nantwich. Hwange - that is, before it was let as a concession to some hunters.

After that, Shimuwini bushveld camp in Kruger.

Both are easily accessible by self drive and, once you've arrived, you never have to get in a vehicle again. The game comes to you.

I sat for two weeks at Shimuwini without driving last year (thanks to an accidentally self-inflicted stab wound in the hand) and learned what I'd almost forgotten from my earlier times in Nantwich. That is, that all good things come to those who wait.

Did you ever meet Annie (Anne-marie) Zambelli? She was assistant manager to Dave & Helene.

Geoff,

I regret that in those days I didn't always write names down. Was she the girlfriend of an English guide called Jock ?

So many names over the years, and age withering the brain, I keep a notebook now so that I have a record of people

and camps. Mombo was such fun then, and I'm very glad that I was there to enjoy it.

Jan

From a single game drive at Mombo in 1996. Not necessarily the greatest pictures, and no attempt has been made to edit the scanned files. I just picked these to give a flavor of what a game drive was likely to include in those days....

gallery_5746_183_456319.jpg

gallery_5746_183_340552.jpg

gallery_5746_183_19039.jpg

This topic is really popular. Thousands have taken a peek.

Pangolin, I have fond memories of 97 and 98 at Mombo with similar sightings as your lovely photos. I'll have to rely on memories and photos as I don't think I'll be back there.

The Mombo and Little Mombo of 97 and 98 woiuld have to qualify as a top contender for a favorite destination.

Yes, lovely thread indeed ........ Thanks Pangolin for the photos!

Maybe we will come full circle one day? Maybe there is an operator out there that comes back to the "bush experience" one day ...... there's always "Hope"

Maybe we will come full circle one day? Maybe there is an operator out there that comes back to the "bush experience" one day ...... there's always "Hope"
First you must forbid all the brainwashing ads of the beauty industry. And think of all these "essential" digital and communication devices most people can't live without.

Have you ever thought about how life was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago? And how life has changed in Western cultures? Most of today's people appear like drug addicts to me, totally addicted to gadgets and illusions, no longer able just to enjoy simple life.

You can't turn back the wheel of time, the wheel of "progress". Thus I have no hope that we'll see those times of "bush experience" again.

Never say never ............ it's simply because of this addict-style life-style, that the smart operator will go back to the "bush experience" and probably charge high, for that kind of "unique" back to the 70sAfrica experience? who knows......

the smart operator will go back to the "bush experience" and probably charge high, for that kind of "unique" back to the 70sAfrica experience?
Of course it will be "authentic". And in the middle of camp, covered by a reed wall, you will find the WiFi antenna...

Ah yes, that will attract the email addicts ......... "Geeee it's 10 o clock - gotta go to my tent to check messages that were promised to me. yeah, we saw the wild dogs yesterday, didn't we?"

:blink::blink::o:(:huh::o:):lol:

The most "authentic" it will get in the Sabi Sands is, some places may put a tracker back up in the "tracker seat" - oh forgot - they are still on strike, though.......... :o

I think this poll would be better if we were allowed a first, second and third choice!

Hardly any votes for Namibia and none for SA?

I think this poll would be better if we were allowed a first, second and third choice!

Hardly any votes for Namibia and none for SA?

Yes, I agree. Give it on a points basis, 3, 2 and 1.

Ken has a valid point.

I suppose a poll is going to be different based on the specific forum and market.

For example., on F ........ SA could easily be top two or three. Yet, here it lays a big goose egg!

Game Warden

I know the right person who could sort us out with a tent and machete in Malawi, we'd have to cut our own access paths and it would certainly mean having to do everything ourselves. Certainly not commercial at all...

GW, if you were to organize this, I am sure you would soon have a full complement of participants... I think you could likely count me in!

Game Warden

I know the right person who could sort us out with a tent and machete in Malawi, we'd have to cut our own access paths and it would certainly mean having to do everything ourselves. Certainly not commercial at all...

GW, if you were to organize this, I am sure you would soon have a full complement of participants... I think you could likely count me in!

Me too, but I'd line up behind whoever wields the biggest machete! Feel free to post machete photos. Perhaps on the dirty picture test thread :angry: