Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

End of Self Drive in Botswana?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 johan db

johan db

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

Luangwablondes,

This has been told to me since 2008 ... so finally it will happen.

#22 tonypark

tonypark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

As long as I can still camp at Khwai I'm happy.

#23 Botswana Footprints

Botswana Footprints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Category 1:Travel Agent
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

There's been talk last year of a proposed increase in Park Entry fees in Botswana - but these have not been increased as yet.
They are currently (for foreigners) P120 per person per day and P50 per vehicle per day. I presume this may increase from December.. we'll see!
Botswana Footprints - www.botswanafootprints.com
The warmth & rhythm of Africa will stay with you forever....

#24 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I received an email Friday afternoon:

Hi all
tourism had a meeting last Friday. They want to close all self drives in Botswana and only lodges and safari companies will be allowed to take pax into the parks.

A representative for all the self drives, Deon, is going to the presidents office on monday so we are looking for as much info as we can.

Please let me know how many pax/vehicles you are excepting for 2010 , as this will effect everyone. food stores, employment, breakdowns, fuel sales, park entrance etc..
We need to give them as much info as we can to plead our case.
Do you think you can let me know by this afternoon.
many thanks
brenda

An action like this includes eliminating even the Botswanans from the parks. It touches people across the country who work in small businesses throughout Botswana. Butcheries, fuel stations, Community Trusts, 4x4 hire companies, garages, campsites, b&Bs...... it will put many places out of business, reduce employment throughout the country. This is not just a couple hundred self drives, but thousands that will be eliminated. Many people who return to Botswana to visit a couple times a year, every year.

The Self drive and companies that are affected are not organised like the safari industry, who already has the ear of the ministry. I am not looking forward to the results of a Monday meeting.

If anyone who will be self driving in Botswana this year would like to comment and have it reach the proper spokesperson, you can email it to me and I am consolidating and forwarding them. I've suggested including information like this:

1. How often do you visit Botswana
2. Where do you go
3. How long
4. How much money do you spend on:
a - Fuel
b - Food & sundries
c - Accommodation
d) activities- mokoro, flips, boat cruise, etc.

comment on support of Community cultural activities, ceremonies, tours
support of local small Botswana businesses in villages and towns along
the way
interaction with locals
Would you visit Botswana if you could not self drive?

Please email your comments Sunday Botswana time, as early as possible, so I can forward to them for the Monday meeting.

Thanks all
Robbie

Sorry I missed all this Robbie.

#25 Uh_oh busted

Uh_oh busted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

Putting it in perspective. How would you feel about it if all the parks in the USA could not be entered except with a lodge or 'safari company'? That you could no longer drive around on your own or go camping in those parks except in the company of a guide, their vehicle, and other people stuffed in with you. That those hiking/camping or boat and fishing trips you enjoyed with friends and family for years now require a guide.

That seems to be what the lodges and safari companies in Botswana want to do. You know it won't be cheap either.

Very good and descriptive analysis. I think it is horrible. It almost sems as if the government wants to turn over running the parks to private contractors eventually. A very bad move for what I believed was one of the better run democracies on the African comtinent.

#26 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 3,500 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

Putting it in perspective. How would you feel about it if all the parks in the USA could not be entered except with a lodge or 'safari company'? That you could no longer drive around on your own or go camping in those parks except in the company of a guide, their vehicle, and other people stuffed in with you. That those hiking/camping or boat and fishing trips you enjoyed with friends and family for years now require a guide.

That seems to be what the lodges and safari companies in Botswana want to do. You know it won't be cheap either.

Very good and descriptive analysis. I think it is horrible. It almost sems as if the government wants to turn over running the parks to private contractors eventually. A very bad move for what I believed was one of the better run democracies on the African comtinent.

But at the same time, we often see people on here complaining that the where self driving is allowed the parks are too busy! e.g. Kruger, Yellowstone etc.
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#27 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

But at the same time, we often see people on here complaining that the where self driving is allowed the parks are too busy! e.g. Kruger, Yellowstone etc.

So your answer would be to ban all people who can least afford to pay for guided safaris? Favor the rich over the poor. Rid the parks of the lower classes. The best parks should be accessible exclusively to those that can afford it. Maintain a rigid class separation.

#28 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

So your answer would be to ban all people who can least afford to pay for guided safaris? Favor the rich over the poor. Rid the parks of the lower classes. The best parks should be accessible exclusively to those that can afford it. Maintain a rigid class separation.

I do not think this is what Jo meant - far from it.

I guess that we very often hear (on this board a,as well others) complaints about how certain places are congested (the Mara is a good exemple).

I for one am not ashamed of being one of the most allergic to crowds - I conisder as "crowded" places that most other people would consider as quiet.

I do not pretend that other tourists are banned, and thus I try and go somewhere further, places which are less visited or more difficult to access.

I think that one cannot make sweeping statements about anything, including self drivers. In Mana Pools, for instance, I have met some very well behaved self drivers(mostly Zimbabweans) and some obnoxious self drivers (from SA) (driving too fast, going offroad etc...) - I am glad we were able to report their behaviour to the game wardens and have them to act.

Edited by Paolo, 04 June 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#29 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 3,500 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Paolo. Luangwablondes of course I am not suggesting that only the well-heeled should visit these parks If that were the case I'd never be able to afford to take safaris myself! I was simply playing Devil's advocate. :D :D
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#30 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

kittykat23uk

I knew what you meant. Its just that everyone's 1st reaction often effects those most that can least afford the solution. Look how many Africans are shut out of their own parks simply because park fees are not affordable. The very people whom we expect to protect and save wildlife for tourists.

#31 A&M

A&M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

It has been 2 years since LB  posted this e mail about the self drive issue in Botswana.

So far nothing has been suggested that this is ever going to happen ,as I have just returmed from a 2 week Moremi trip and I can tell you self driving in Botswana is alive and well.I met lots of self drivers from various countries and most  of the camp sites we stayed at were nearly fully booked out.

I also spent lots of time in Chobe area last year and Kasane is buzzing with self drivers from all over Africa,so hopefully this will blow over and the government has realised this would be a huge mistake to stop self drivers into Botwsana.

Tony Park has a valid point as far as cost are concerned,it is quite expensive for camping fees and yes these pvt companies that have taken over most of the campsites are not doing a great job,all these campsites are up for review in 2014 and new tenders are going to be put forward.   

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.