End of Self Drive in Botswana?

luangwablondes

kittykat23uk

Putting it in perspective. How would you feel about it if all the parks in the USA could not be entered except with a lodge or 'safari company'? That you could no longer drive around on your own or go camping in those parks except in the company of a guide, their vehicle, and other people stuffed in with you. That those hiking/camping or boat and fishing trips you enjoyed with friends and family for years now require a guide.

That seems to be what the lodges and safari companies in Botswana want to do. You know it won't be cheap either.

Very good and descriptive analysis. I think it is horrible. It almost sems as if the government wants to turn over running the parks to private contractors eventually. A very bad move for what I believed was one of the better run democracies on the African comtinent.

But at the same time, we often see people on here complaining that the where self driving is allowed the parks are too busy! e.g. Kruger, Yellowstone etc.

luangwablondes
But at the same time, we often see people on here complaining that the where self driving is allowed the parks are too busy! e.g. Kruger, Yellowstone etc.

So your answer would be to ban all people who can least afford to pay for guided safaris? Favor the rich over the poor. Rid the parks of the lower classes. The best parks should be accessible exclusively to those that can afford it. Maintain a rigid class separation.

kittykat23uk

. Luangwablondes of course I am not suggesting that only the well-heeled should visit these parks If that were the case I'd never be able to afford to take safaris myself! I was simply playing Devil's advocate. :D:D

Edited by wilddog

luangwablondes

kittykat23uk

I knew what you meant. Its just that everyone's 1st reaction often effects those most that can least afford the solution. Look how many Africans are shut out of their own parks simply because park fees are not affordable. The very people whom we expect to protect and save wildlife for tourists.

• 7 months later...

It has been 2 years since LB posted this e mail about the self drive issue in Botswana.

So far nothing has been suggested that this is ever going to happen ,as I have just returmed from a 2 week Moremi trip and I can tell you self driving in Botswana is alive and well.I met lots of self drivers from various countries and most of the camp sites we stayed at were nearly fully booked out.

I also spent lots of time in Chobe area last year and Kasane is buzzing with self drivers from all over Africa,so hopefully this will blow over and the government has realised this would be a huge mistake to stop self drivers into Botwsana.

Tony Park has a valid point as far as cost are concerned,it is quite expensive for camping fees and yes these pvt companies that have taken over most of the campsites are not doing a great job,all these campsites are up for review in 2014 and new tenders are going to be put forward.