Planning a route - Namibia/Botswana - self-drive

kulkulbelle

Botswana/Namibia

Hi explorers and fellow safari nuts.

Travellers x 4 = M/M Kiwi and M/M South Africa

I am after some advice re self-drive options for the dates 29th April - 13th May 2010. [Arrive AKL- JNB April 27th evening- husband departs JNB-AKL 15th May].

Unfortunately, we are restricted to these dates, so we need to fit in as much as possible, without spending every moment travelling.

The time restriction has curtailed plans for a Joburg/Joburg circuit, but we have already made tentative enquiries re beginning in Windhoek, heading north and terminating in Maun. After consideration, it seemed that if we had to leave something out it should probably be the Namibian south, and possibly the coast, as this would need a separate trip to do this area justice. Your thoughts?

My main focus is primarily game and I would love to have a chance to see Wild Dog in particular. Landscape and some interaction with local people would be desirable.

My Botswana experience to date has been Mak Pans, a Khwai River concession and the Gunns Camp area of the Delta (with Mad Mike, if some of you recall). I am keen to strike out for Chobe, Savuti,Linyanti and Kwando river areas- if the truth be known I would like to be there for the fortnight. But life, as you all know is about compromise.

As for Namibia, it will be M/M Kiwi's first time.

I am interested in any commentary you may have on the logistics; as now we must be more about editing.

Our budget/travel-style is mid-range - comfortable, yet unique.

A couple of questions:

* Might we be better rather to start in Maun and make our foray into Namibia for a few days and terminate in Maun?

*A consideration is the height of one of my friends (6'6"). We prefer camping, but we may have to compromise to enable him to have a decent night's sleep. I imagine getting consistently big enough beds in tents could be a problem

* We are all competent enough 4 x 4 drivers, but lack experience on sand - any advice for us on that score.

*Do any of you recommend any travel agents/providers for what we plan?

Can I apologise in advance for this seemingly lazy approach, but to be frank the change in hubby's availability has left me in a hiatus of sorts. So, here I am, 2.5 months out from a trip - back to the drawing board.

P.S. After hubby abandons me, I might add I am staying on for up to a month - I have a camera, a credit card a passion for a campfire- so who knows where I will end up. At this stage I am working on a better than even chance of a trip to Ethiopia.

Thanks for your forbearance in wading through this rambling piece. :D

Welcome back Kulkulbelle, sounds like an exciting plan. I can't help but this report and link may offer some tips.

self drive botswana

Thanks for that twaffle, some great food for thought there.

Are Robin and Robert members here? :D

luangwablondes

IF you start in Maun, there are a couple 4x4 hire companies that could possibly put something together for you. Its local calls for them, and they would know quickly whats available. Comparably, it takes about 2 days to drive up from Joburg, let alone the 2 days to drive back, plus associated costs, which doesn’t make a lot of sense for your short safari.

As far as driving in sand, with a landrover or landcruiser these companies rent, you shouldn’t have any problems. Just some of the water crossing that you should be aware of, and not drive in without surveying 1st.

I would suggest you try Maun Self Drive 4x4 . They can make campsite bookings in parks, accommodations, and recommend some good routes. To accommodate your tall friend, I know they have ground tents besides rooftop tents.

Also, you should consider downloading the Tracks4Africa maps for Botswana and Namibia to your pc. It will help you in the planning process. There will be a new Tracks4Africa map for Namibia at the end of the month, and I believe the 2nd edition of the Botswana paper map will be out soon too. Great for those hands on people. They have distance and approximate driving time for many of the routes, besides all the other information.

Just to clarify, we definitely aren't driving from Joburg due to our time restrictions. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my initial post :mellow:

Thanks for the suggestions luangwablondes and sniktalk. The references and maps are fantastic and will be an integral part of the planning.

*Heads off to email Maun Self drive*

I'll keep you abreast of plans as they come together. :D

Well you just got the best advice.. I cant add much.

except;

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Oh and let us know how it went..

Well you just got the best advice.. I cant add much.

except;

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Oh and let us know how it went..

Oh, I will. You'll be sick of my photos believe me.

:lol: