Show us your leopard pics...

Game Warden

Come on, there's been lots of recent trips: let's see your leopard pics...

Not going to win any prizes, circumstances dictated that these two pictures were taken handheld after sunset using ISO 6400 and no flash. The originals are full of chroma noise. They are pictures of the tame leopard "Induna" on Ongos Game Farm, Namibia.

Induna in a tree. We had been waiting for him half a kilometre away while we drank sundowners but he didn't feel like walking all that way so he was waiting in a tree near the entrance to his enclosure.

gallery_6125_323_60190.jpg

To encourage him to come down, Martin climbs Induna's tree and gets a traditional leopard greeting

gallery_6125_323_26966.jpg

Nice portrait Pred... morning or evening?

Evening in Etosha. Was just driving back to the camp (Halali) before sunset, and saw this leopard lying by the side of the road. Pulled over and it didnt move, so took a few pics then moved closer - was parked opposite this magnificent leopard just a few metres away - a fantastic view. Just a shame I couldnt have stayed longer but the sunset deadline was rapidly approaching.

wildernessman

2edz9tz.jpg

4izke9.jpg

Taken in the Kruger National Park with a compact Fuji S8000

Compared with previous photos these fade into insignifacance - but special to me as there were just 2 of us human alone all the time at each of these seperate sightings in April & August .

Edited by wildernessman

Compared with previous photos these fade into insignifacance - but special to me as there were just 2 of us human alone all the time at each of these seperate sightings in April & August .

I think thats the important part - nice quality photos are good to have, but its the experience of seeing the leopard (or whichever animal you're watching) thats important. The photos are really just a reminder of great memories.

• 2 months later...
Here's another view of this handsome young male, G.W.

gallery_5273_251_16266.jpg

He just posed and posed----typical male!

Jan

What a good boy! Looks like he knew that he's been capturing! So he behaved well! Nice shot you got there mate!

• 2 weeks later...

Kwando Lebala, Botswana, Nov. 2010:

gallery_5715_361_95921.jpg

gallery_5715_361_304699.jpg

Wonderful photos! Spencer and I spent three days searching at Little Kwara last March with no success!

Jan

We all like to be polite to comment on other person's pictures. You need more than a interesting subject to come up with an captivating photo. Most of the pictures shown here are just snap shots. Nice as a memory but no more than that.

If you look at places like for example outdoorphoto, most of us need a lot of practice (in the field) to come up with decent wildlife pictures.

Edited by johan db

We all like to be polite to comment on other person's pictures.

Then why don't you give it a shot?

Most of the pictures shown here are just snap shots. Nice as a memory but no more than that.

Most of us realize, and have stated, that the experience is far more important than a prize-winning photo. I'd rather have the experience in my memory than be so caught up in technical perfection that I don't really live in and enjoy the moment.

@ Johann:

do you mean my photographs?

Please be so kind and criticize and don´t throw in generalizations.

I know that my pictures are far from perfection but I don´t think that they are just snapshots..

In fact you´re right that most of us need practice. I am not so lucky to live in Africa and I can´t afford to spend lots of time there like you did, so I just take photos of wildlife in a timespan of 14 days and I think most of us do.

I really liked your comments on dfifferent themes and agreed with you often, but here your just generalizing and this is unfair.

Thomas

Wild Dogger,

I like your 2 leopard portraits. Not because they are "prize winningly perfect" (they are not), but because they immdiately evoke in me a memory of home (Africa) and a wildness that I miss in my other life.

Let others wak off to Prize Winning photography... give me snapshots from the heart of Africa any day.

We all like to be polite to comment on other person's pictures.

Then why don't you give it a shot?

Don't hold your breath.

Most of us realize, and have stated, that the experience is far more important than a prize-winning photo. I'd rather have the experience in my memory than be so caught up in technical perfection that I don't really live in and enjoy the moment.

+1

madaboutcheetah

Thomas,

That Leopard appears like it might be whom they call "the magician".

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Hari, once again you´re right.

Thomas

• 5 weeks later...

My goodness, I missed this conversation! Oh, that was right, I was in Africa taking snapshots!! ;):):lol:

I agree with Pangolin and Zaminoz, it is all about the mood and memories and this is NOT a photographic critiquing site and was never intended to be. I do put photos on critiquing sites but usually the ones I put on here are just cropped and processed roughly and selected for the way the illustrate my trip or activity and not for their photographic excellence. Being patronising about people's photographic ability says a lot about the writer and not so much about the photos being criticised. Or perhaps it is just a language nuance.

Wild dogger, I really like the clarity and detail of your beautiful leopard. What a powerful looking boy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not having any luck inserting a photo from my hard drive. I keep getting the error message, "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed." Any suggestions? The photo isn't online, so there is no "http..." address.

I'm not having any luck inserting a photo from my hard drive. I keep getting the error message, "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed." Any suggestions? The photo isn't online, so there is no "http..." address.

Got any spaces inbetween the tags and the link to your image, perhaps? Or in the name of the image itself?

Shaytay: why not open your own gallery album here, (you can make it private) upload some images there and link to them just for Safaritalk?

All these pictures were taken at Chitabe.

05.jpg

08.jpg

13.jpg

20.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

48.jpg