Game Warden

Let's talk Gorongosa National Park. (Mozambique)

36 posts in this topic

There is also a private operator in the Park, Explore Gorongosa (www.exploregorongosa.com). They have a seasonal camp (4 tents), and also offer fly-camping and climbs on Gorongosa Mountain.

The camp is located in a private concession along the Mussicadzi river, and obviously also the public areas can be accessed.

"Cheetahs Return to Gorongosa National Park" reports www.gorongosa.net.

After a long period of negotiations between the authorities in GNP and the NGO "Modgaji Conservation and Rehabilitation Project,” (an organization which works closely with the government of Cape Town, South Africa,) Carlos Lopes Pereira (Director of Conservation and GNP Veterinary) took over management of the relocation process. The addition of the four big cats will make the savannah plains of Gorongosa a place to gain true insight to the fastest animals in the jungle.

To read the full article and see the images, click here.

Hi folks,

Did anyone go to Gorongosa last year or are planning to do so this year? Just wondering if it is worth considering as a combination with humpback whales and diving at Zavora in aug or sept, as opposed to doing what I did last time which was a budget trip to Kruger.

I was there in August/September 2011. From what I heard 2012 was not very different in terms of conditions or game viewing, bar the elephants possibly being a tad more relaxed.

I was also there, but in July 2011 and did a TR as did Paulo. Not aware that any other members have been since then. There seems to be a bit of 'relaunch' going on after several park changes ( concessions, conservation leads etc.) since I was there. But as was suggested by Paulo wildlife would not have altered much since then.

Has anyone heard about anymore about the Cheetah release programme that started in late 2011?

Posted (edited)

Didn't someone report that one of the cheetahs died from a hunting wound soon after the release?

Edited by Sangeeta

Didn't someone report that one of the cheetahs died from a hunting wound soon after the release?

Correct.

I think it was a reedbuck.

Yeah I read paolo and Wilddogs's reports. Interesting to read of the sightings of serval.

PBS in the US is currently showing a multi-episode program on Gorongoza (Gorongoza: Rebirth of Paradise).

For a time episodes 2-6 can be seen here... http://www.pbs.org/gorongosa/home/

1 person likes this