Game Warden

Let's see your Pangolin pics...

112 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Any sighting is a good sighting. So my only sighting of a Pangolin was in the Masai mara. We were driving along the road which comes in from behind Mara Serena lodge. We noticed a vehicle which was parked just off the road, what were they looking at? We could not see anything obvious so drove closer. The closer we got the more confused we were as there was definitely nothing to be seen.It was only when we were within 10 mteters of the vehicle we realised what they were looking at, a Pangolin, asleep on the side of the road.

Taken in low light. As my teacher would say: could do better.

post-50530-0-61859600-1459502426_thumb.jpg

Edited by PHALANX
8 people like this

@@PHALANX great sighting!

So perhaps @@Safaridude it was a pangolin I saw after all in the Masai Mara? ;)

My first post - hope you enjoy the pics.

Taken at Tswalu, August 2013.

Tracker spotted tracks from the vehicle and together with the ranger, spent 45 minutes tracking it on foot (after asking us if it was OK to spend time doing do first!) through the sand and grass - and it was worth the wait!

post-50885-0-28676600-1469743034_thumb.jpg

post-50885-0-30792500-1469743046_thumb.jpg

post-50885-0-23639000-1469743057_thumb.jpg

post-50885-0-53816800-1469743068_thumb.jpg

11 people like this

What a great first post, welcome to Safaritalk. I dream of a Pangolin sighting like that - or any Pangolin sighting, as a matter of fact. :)

2 people like this

I've got some from Sangha Lodge in Central African Republic from Feb 2015. This is the black bellied pangolin or long tailed pangolin. They are completely arboreal but this one, Pangi, was rescued form the local bush meat market. Rod Cassidy and his wife raised her until she could live on her own in the forest which she does to this day. The local Ba'aka were employed to locate ants for Pangi to eat. It's quite remarkable she survived and is the only known long tailed pangolin to be reared and set free. They still keep tabs on her daily.

The light in the forest is difficult to get a clear pic and pangi was in constant motion cantilevered out with her tail holding her in place...but you can get an idea of how special a pangolin she is. I'll also post a video or two. I think I did for my trip report to CAR but this post resides in a different location so maybe y'all haven't seen it previously.

post-6239-0-94312900-1481940314_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-73046300-1481940343_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-42745400-1481940362_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-63887200-1481940380_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-85643900-1481940391_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-06694600-1481940405_thumb.jpg

post-6239-0-89043800-1481940417_thumb.jpg

6 people like this

Some vids. I like the sounds of the forest you can hear in the background:

This gives you a good idea of how pangolins move in the trees. Pangi lives wild now but when I visited Sangha, they had to take her out multiple times a day to get her fill of ants. The Ba'aka would located the ant nests and let her eat her fill. Her instincts were to go ever upward and so they had to keep an eye on her or shed climb out of reach.

3 people like this

@@gatoratlarge This film of a pangolin is simply spectacular. I hope to visit Sangha in 2018 even if it won't be easy to combine with Zakouma. I know that Colin Bell the former head of Wilderness Safari who is a friend of Rod's said that it was the literally the most spectacular place in the world. Of course I'll take his opinion quite seriously.

Edited by optig
2 people like this

@@optig it was a place that had a big impact on me that is for certain. I plan to go back some day. It is amazing...

1 person likes this

@@gatoratlarge Rod told me that one should visit both in the wet and the dry season. I will undoubtedly visit during both seasons. I really want to visit Zakouma, and Congo (Brazzaville) as well. I hope that Gabon will eventually take safari tourism seriously because as we know very well it has awesome potential. Furthermore, it needs to diversify it's economy.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

A pangolin mother and youngster I saw last week at Namiri Plains in the Serengeti. A first for me. :)

Edited by Hammer_of_the_Gods
8 people like this

@@Hammer_of_the_Gods Wow what a sighting! Now, get on with the trip report...

Matt