Madagascar

Bugs

If any one has seen or commented on the road between Nata and Kasan, you will know a little about what I am talking about here.

gallery_4095_213_20789.jpg

We were in a hurry as well. The worse roads that you can are dirt roads with bits of tar still remaining. I can confidently say that this is the worst road I have ever seen by a long stretch.

gallery_4095_213_23779.jpg

gallery_4095_213_13805.jpg

Finally - the sea..what a relief. We had a comfortable bed and a decent loo. You have no idea what a relief it was.

Hey GW, this one is for you - what car is this? this was our Taxi that took us to the airport.

gallery_4095_213_20519.jpg

Our adventure had come to an end. We were to relax, then catch the flight the next morning to Tana - one more night and then home. The problem with our planning is that it left us in Tana for a full 24 hours before the flight to JHB. We had to find something to do in Tana.... Tana = Antananarivo.

Our last day we decided to visit the zoo in Tana - why? well we had to do something, and we wanted to see some of the animals that we had missed.

Remember that all mammals in Mad are arboreal, except of the bushpig. there are no antelope. The biggest predator is a Fossa - a cat like dog that can climb trees and eats lemurs. Its about the size of a caracal.

So below are some photos taken in Tana to give you an idea what it is like there along with some photos from the zoo.

gallery_4095_213_28029.jpg

gallery_4095_213_33486.jpg

gallery_4095_213_3047.jpg

gallery_4095_213_4681.jpg

the madagascar fish eagle.

gallery_4095_213_25677.jpg

the fossa

gallery_4095_213_25134.jpg

Another pic of the Fossa. Sorry its from the zoo. It was quite depressing there to be honest.

THE END

Thank you for reading. Hope you enjoyed

gallery_4095_213_12066.jpg

Yes, I really enjoyed the report. Poor Jenny, did she take long to get over her gastro. I remember you mentioning it in one of your other posts.

So, if someone where to say to you "should I go to Madacasgar?" how would you reply. And if you said yes, what sort of planning would you suggest they make to avoid some of the less pleasant aspects of your trip?

Tsingy looked amazing.

Thanks for the effort you made with the report.

A report in the Washington Post entitled Natural Resources Under Siege talks about the destruction of environments and wildlife populations in Madagascar; depressing reading...

Thank you, dikdik. I have found this very interesting. What a report. What a world this is. Stark, stunning and sad. Great photos.

Thanks,

Twaff, Jen was sick for weeks after. I also picked up an infection in my toe, and my finger went septic where a chameleon but me. OK OK laugh, but the got sharp teeth. I went on a course of antibiotics.

Your question - Yes definitely recommend to other people. Its so unique, and fascinating. I may recommend that you fly to Marondavo, and skip the canoe trip. But that being said, I dont think the experience would have been the same. If you do chose to fly, then you should use air Madagascar from JHB, and put together a package, as internal flights are expensive, and they can discount if you make a package.

GW, unlike much other press reports popping up lately, I would find that report quite believable. The situation has never been that good, but there may definitely be a decline since the new government.

Dikdik, thanks for a wonderful report. I'm actually more interested in going to Madagacar than I was before reading.

I hope you and Jenny are fully recovered, and I’m not laughing at all about the chameleon bite. :P

Leely, hadn't you heard about the baobab climbing Madacasgar topi? :P

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much for the lovely report with Photographs, DikDik - Amazing!!! The Lemurs, the Baobabs, the flora and fauna, beach and more .........

Narsus was a real gift. Your river photo is gorgeous. Interesting cave and skulls. Hope we find out if that guy got his cattle back and hope the illness is brief. That's as far as I got this round.

There is a National Geographic feature (ngm.nationalgeographic.com) about Tsingy, with some stunning photos - it can be found here.

Thanks for recounting the good and the bad you experiences. That last shot is priceless.

bugs15.jpg

A chameleon having dinner in Madagascar...

gallery_4095_213_12066.jpg

Dik dik having dinner with me at the farm.

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

\/

Or perhaps I mixed up the images :P

The similarities are amazing!

The similarities are amazing!

:D I got more hair!! and a quicker tongue! and a bigger mouth!

Nyamera, feel free to PM me if you need anything more.

The big problem is the language and often reading a menu can be hard to understand.

One thing I remember on the menu was "1/2 Pain". - This has nothing to do with the degree of stomach ache after the meal it is in fact a 1/2 bread roll.

Lynne, with your trips to Central Africa, you would probably have a better idea of the conditions, and the language.

Thanks for the link to Nat geo photos GW, they do show Tsingy better than my photos. Can you imagine weaving your way through those rock formations.

Thanks for your wonderful report and photos! We've decided not to go next year after all (not because of your report which actually made me want to go more). One thing I'm good at is reading menus in multiple languages so that's not an issue :(

• 1 month later...

Really enjoyed your report Dikdik.

Rather wish I'd tacked on a few days to my 2005 trip to see Tsingy which looks spectacular.

The deforestation is depressing and the enormity of it really sinks in when you're there but I guess our "advanced" countries don't have too much to be proud of on that score either.

I actually enjoyed my stay in Tana which I found quite interesting.

Great photos capturing the essence.

Thanks,Caracal.

• 1 year later...

I'm considering a trip to Madagascar - any views on the best time of year to go?

I want to visit the main nature reserves and will probably join a group tour through Adventure Company/Explore/Naturetrek.

• 4 months later...
aussieinafrica

Great report thanks dikdik - am going to Madagascar in November, but heading to the East and South, so will see a different part of the country to you. Just out of interest, how long was your trip to Mada? Also wanted to do the river trip/Tsingy/Morondava/Avenue of Baobabs, but thought I'd go back another time, as I can't take more than 2 weeks from work at a time - something had to give!

Great pictures, and wonderful dialogue - made me feel like I was already there!

Fantastic report.

French is my 2nd language so that wouldn't be the problem, but if I read all this about lack of basic hygiene, about having to witness the wild places turning in to cr*p (yes, even though thy do not know better), etc...

I think I'm going to scratch Madagascar from my list.

:(

Jochen - they really need tourists, and it is a fascinating place under huge pressure.

When I think back on this holiday, I regret nothing about it.

Thanks Ozinaf - I look forward to your report. enjoy.

• 3 years later...

post-49296-0-40562500-1429290193_thumb.jpg

They grow all their own vegetables. One fascinating thing is that there will be hundreds of vendors selling the same things. One can only wonder how a customer will decide who they end up buying from.

~ @bugs:

I laughed out loud when I read your caption above.

When I've seen comparable situations with roadside vendors in Kenya, I've wondered what criteria determine which vendors prosper?

As all of the produce on offer more or less looks alike, are there subtle contingent factors which influence customer choice?

I've visited your Madagascar trip report twice, as I enjoy your insight and humor.

Tom K.