Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Botswana National parks fees

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

This paper is a study for Tawana Land Board, a paper to help them to find a good tourism strategy for the greater Okavango Delta. It's another story if these recommendations will evolve into regulations.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me, it fits very well into Botswana's low-volume high-value tourism strategy.

#42 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,453 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

Ah well, I'll just have to stick with the great unwashed in Kenya! :o

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#43 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,329 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Ah well, I'll just have to stick with the great unwashed in Kenya! :o

Uhmmm.....I might be wrong, but I have the feeling that (parts of) Kenya are taking an approach similar to Botswana. I recall a thread about Lewa massively increasing its price, for instance.

As to Botswana itself, I am unsure whether the marketing is "you pay more and you will have a superior game viewing experience", as you suggest, or "you pay more and you will have a less commercial (or less crowded) experience".

#44 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,155 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

On the one hand, a place like Mombo is marketed as the Superior game viewing destination. Perhaps, part history? part Geography? Part Chocolate strawberries?

Think of a place like Zarafa on the other hand, they are more or less marketed based on old History in terms of the gameviewing - think about it, "The Hippo killing Big Lion Prides" and the "place where dogs den" ....... etc etc.,

The private concessions are marketed more on exclusivity as Paolo suggests........ Yet, think about the luxury lodges in the middle of say, the Moremi and Savute. What is their USP? Hard to figure out ............
http://500px.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#45 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

On the other hand, a place like Mombo is marketed as the Superior game viewing destination. Perhaps, part history? part Geography? Part Chocolate strawberries?

I do not know. Up until Ivisited Mombo (2001) game viewing was truly phenomenal. I think that these days it is still very very good. Personally, I have been put off by a different consideration: I was not willing to pay that kind of money for going in a vehicle with other people jumping around or more interested in the chocolate covered strwberries (as you say) than the wildlife or having my schedules dictated by someone else.

Now, I would be prepared to pay handsomely (even though not up to Mombo standards!) for visiting unique and remote places, with a private camp and car (meaning that I can choose when to eat, if I want to stay a few hours or a full day, which area I want to explore....) and the best possible guiding.

#46 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 7,155 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Good point, Paolo. I agree! The kind of a visitor you just described makes my blood boil!!!!

I've only been to Mombo once - that was in 2003 and had very good viewing - Lots of Lions, Cheetah(2 brothers and a single female) and Leopards (Mother and cub, and the Burnt Ebony Male), plenty of plains game.
http://500px.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#47 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Totally unworkable concept. The DWNP would spend the next few years busy with lawsuits.

I don't see why. DWNP just need to change the zonation in the Management Plan. And this is what they recommend in the paper.

#48 Go-away

Go-away

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

On the other hand, a place like Mombo is marketed as the Superior game viewing destination. Perhaps, part history? part Geography? Part Chocolate strawberries?

I do not know. Up until Ivisited Mombo (2001) game viewing was truly phenomenal. I think that these days it is still very very good. Personally, I have been put off by a different consideration: I was not willing to pay that kind of money for going in a vehicle with other people jumping around or more interested in the chocolate covered strwberries (as you say) than the wildlife or having my schedules dictated by someone else.

Now, I would be prepared to pay handsomely (even though not up to Mombo standards!) for visiting unique and remote places, with a private camp and car (meaning that I can choose when to eat, if I want to stay a few hours or a full day, which area I want to explore....) and the best possible guiding.

I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record here about this topic, but could someone please explain to me why one should have to PAY to visit unique and remote places, rather than have at least some of those places managed in a manner that is unrelated to price?

#49 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record here about this topic, but could someone please explain to me why one should have to PAY to visit unique and remote places, rather than have at least some of those places managed in a manner that is unrelated to price?

I was just saying that, to my tastes, these days I would choose other options than Mombo (even if I could afford it), not meaning to make any general statement on management policies of wilderness areas. As a matter of fact, travelling to remote places as a tourist on a limited time easily involves logistics (charter flights, transport of camp equipment and the like) which, unfortunately, are not for free.

#50 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:33 AM

I have been travelling to Botswana since the early 80's on a regular basis. Most is self drive, but I also fly-in and stay in lodges. My biggest concern is the "national parks" should be accessable and affordable for the local citizens of Botswana as a first priority. There are numerous concessions with huge tracks of land that offer private and exclusive facilities. The national parks in most circumstances have camp sites. If necesssary they can limit the number of camp sites and limit the number of people per camp site to reduce traffic, but they should not elminate this mode of travel since it can be manage to be affordable to the local citizen. The locals also get a substantiall discount when camping in THEIR national parks.

#51 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Independent of the park fee increases, I would like to see better behavior of those that are self driving in Botswana.

So this is ok?

Botswana campsite and park fees have gone up, yet campsite bookings in the Northern Parks for a couple months this year are sold out. A couple other months are near sold out. A few others are rapidly getting booked. This is only February. There will be plenty of disappointed people this year. Even availabilty of 4x4 rentals are getting tight - that is from the good hire companies.

Edited by luangwablondes, 18 February 2011 - 07:58 PM.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.