Botswana National parks fees

madaboutcheetah

my local guides usually say something like 'those are the self drive guys that share GPS coordinates of good camping spots, so they don't have to worry about reservations or camping fees'.

This is predominantly a problem with local people from Botswana & neighbouring countries! I do not think a self driver from the Northern Hemisphere would have the knowledge to do this.

But I do like the guide idea, having done it on my own & with a guide the experience is far, far richer with a good guide.

Zimbabwe here I come in 10 hours time! Yippeeee! ;)

Zimbabwe here I come in 10 hours time! Yippeeee! ;)

Everyone is going on safari but me. :(

Have a wonderful trip.

Nappa, have a great time in Zim.

Jan

Nothing worse than living in another country and returning to your homeland to see all the things which could be done better. Hopefully she felt better after having a little spit, probably nothing will change though.

• 1 month later...

From Consultancy for Tourism Related Sites Identification in the Okavango Delta Ramsar Site (ODRS) - Final Report, by NRP for Tawana Land Board, March 2009:

... there is a strong likelihood that a negative image of the Moremi Game Reserve may impact on the marketability of the mid - high cost lodges operating in or on the boundaries of Moremi Game Reserve. The limited regulation of access to the three sectors in Moremi makes it nearly impossible to guarantee a marketable experience to higher cost market segments. It is therefore proposed and recommended that the broad medium and low density zonation in the Moremi Game Reserve Management Plan (DWNP, 2008) is refined based on the proposed zones in this report.

An example of this would be to confine self drive and general visitor access in the area east of North Gate to an area no further than 5 km from the North Gate. High and mid end lodges on the northern side of the Khwai River would then have exclusive access to the remaining network of roads in the 15 kms of the Khwai floodplain towards Mababe, in order to allow them to market their product internationally as 'superior'.

Not a bright future for self-driving people in Moremi Game Reserve, if these recommendations become true.

madaboutcheetah

I'd like to know how much of that road network is under water these days????

Is the reference about the Desert and Delta lodges?

particularly, when the same area can be accessed on a good mobile safari.
Mobile safaris play an important role in this paper, for instance as additional low-impact option in photographic concessions, and as a replacement in areas where you currently have self-drive tourism.

Is the reference about the Desert and Delta lodges?
No names in the paper.

luangwablondes
An example of this would be to confine self drive and general visitor access in the area east of North Gate to an area no further than 5 km from the North Gate. High and mid end lodges on the northern side of the Khwai River would then have exclusive access to the remaining network of roads in the 15 kms of the Khwai floodplain towards Mababe, in order to allow them to market their product internationally as 'superior'.

Totally unworkable concept. The DWNP would spend the next few years busy with lawsuits.

madaboutcheetah

Nyama, our posts crossed ........... I didn't see your post, while I did the editing of the original post. Anyways, I said it's funny how places like Moremi and Savute over-hype the Lodge experience ........ while the same areas can be accessed on a good mobile option.

Snik, as you know I'm very ignorant about Botswana but it seems as if much is sacrificed to keep up the illusion that if you go to Botswana expect to pay a lot and you'll get a superior game viewing experience. From all I read though, it is as hit and miss as any authentic wilderness area. Tourists have to be stupid to think anything is guaranteed.

It would be sad if Bots became less and less available to tourists who don't want to spend their life savings on expensive camps. That appears to be the case. Out of my league I'm afraid.

I wish I knew more about the bushmen.

I know you've done a mobile with Massons, I wonder how that will be affected.

I know you've done a mobile with Massons, I wonder how that will be affected.

Mobile safaris play an important role in this paper, for instance as additional low-impact option in photographic concessions, and as a replacement in areas where you currently have self-drive tourism.

This paper is a study for Tawana Land Board, a paper to help them to find a good tourism strategy for the greater Okavango Delta. It's another story if these recommendations will evolve into regulations.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me, it fits very well into Botswana's low-volume high-value tourism strategy.

Ah well, I'll just have to stick with the great unwashed in Kenya! :o

madaboutcheetah

On the one hand, a place like Mombo is marketed as the Superior game viewing destination. Perhaps, part history? part Geography? Part Chocolate strawberries?

Think of a place like Zarafa on the other hand, they are more or less marketed based on old History in terms of the gameviewing - think about it, "The Hippo killing Big Lion Prides" and the "place where dogs den" ....... etc etc.,

The private concessions are marketed more on exclusivity ........ Yet, think about the luxury lodges in the middle of say, the Moremi and Savute. What is their USP? Hard to figure out ............

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Good point I agree! The kind of a visitor you just described makes my blood boil!!!!

I've only been to Mombo once - that was in 2003 and had very good viewing - Lots of Lions, Cheetah(2 brothers and a single female) and Leopards (Mother and cub, and the Burnt Ebony Male), plenty of plains game.

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Totally unworkable concept. The DWNP would spend the next few years busy with lawsuits.
I don't see why. DWNP just need to change the zonation in the Management Plan. And this is what they recommend in the paper.

On the other hand, a place like Mombo is marketed as the Superior game viewing destination. Perhaps, part history? part Geography? Part Chocolate strawberries?

I do not know. Up until Ivisited Mombo (2001) game viewing was truly phenomenal. I think that these days it is still very very good. Personally, I have been put off by a different consideration: I was not willing to pay that kind of money for going in a vehicle with other people jumping around or more interested in the chocolate covered strwberries (as you say) than the wildlife or having my schedules dictated by someone else.

Now, I would be prepared to pay handsomely (even though not up to Mombo standards!) for visiting unique and remote places, with a private camp and car (meaning that I can choose when to eat, if I want to stay a few hours or a full day, which area I want to explore....) and the best possible guiding.

I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record here about this topic, but could someone please explain to me why one should have to PAY to visit unique and remote places, rather than have at least some of those places managed in a manner that is unrelated to price?

I have been travelling to Botswana since the early 80's on a regular basis. Most is self drive, but I also fly-in and stay in lodges. My biggest concern is the "national parks" should be accessable and affordable for the local citizens of Botswana as a first priority. There are numerous concessions with huge tracks of land that offer private and exclusive facilities. The national parks in most circumstances have camp sites. If necesssary they can limit the number of camp sites and limit the number of people per camp site to reduce traffic, but they should not elminate this mode of travel since it can be manage to be affordable to the local citizen. The locals also get a substantiall discount when camping in THEIR national parks.

• 1 year later...
luangwablondes
Independent of the park fee increases, I would like to see better behavior of those that are self driving in Botswana.

Botswana campsite and park fees have gone up, yet campsite bookings in the Northern Parks for a couple months this year are sold out. A couple other months are near sold out. A few others are rapidly getting booked. This is only February. There will be plenty of disappointed people this year. Even availabilty of 4x4 rentals are getting tight - that is from the good hire companies.

Edited by luangwablondes