Have Orthotics Will Track

Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn, @@Tom Kellie (thanks for bring it up), I too think that is a lovely image of the lone Ele, something just a little bit sad about it to me. Although, he's probably plodding along quite happily minding his own business...

@@Atravelynn, @@Tom Kellie (thanks for bring it up), I too think that is a lovely image of the lone Ele, something just a little bit sad about it to me. Although, he's probably plodding along quite happily minding his own business...

~ @@elefromoz

It's that poignant quality which makes it so memorable.

You're probably right — it's going along without many cares, doing whatever it is that solitary elephants do.

Yet there's a certain poignancy that much of life is like that...being alone, whether or not others are around, yet in the final analysis alone with our thoughts and feelings.

The sight of that elephant on the long and seemingly empty road has that “miles to go before I sleep” which @@Atravelynn pointed out, courtesy of poet Robert Frost.

Maybe that's what's behind the persistence of the lone elephant photo in my mind — it expresses one of life's key realities, i.e. individual consciousness, in the midst of the biological plenitude of verdant Africa.

I'm so glad that you also liked it, surely one of the most iconic photographs in Safaritalk.

Tom K.

Such poetry and philosophy from you all! This photo was taken long before I was exposed to the artistry of the roads-as-landscape-focal-points, a signature technique of @@AndMic.

• 5 months later...

Shame you don't have the best of experiences with my favorite monkeys - the Golden Monkeys. Perhaps you should've opted to do a second trek and then requested for the 'unpopular' group. I last did the Golden Monkey trek in 2014 in the month of may when tourist numbers are low. We were 7 in the group. Had the best encounter of the monkeys so far... viewed them as they hopped through the bamboo and then moved out into the open potato gardens. Enjoyed watching them dig, clean and eat potatoes which is quite a delicacy for them. Pictures were fantastic!! Planning to do them again early this year before the tourism peak season. Some of my shorts:

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5054.JPG

golden-monkeys.JPG

sande-golden-monkeys.JPG

IMG_5065.JPG

golden-monkeys-mating.JPG

more from my Golden Monkey trek in Volcanoes National Park

IMG_5275.JPG

golden-monkey-rwanda.JPG

IMG_5227.JPG

They come to pick from the leftovers after the farmers have harvested the potatoes so there is no conflict...

Edited by Sande David

Shame you don't have the best of experiences with my favorite monkeys - the Golden Monkeys. I did have a really great encounter with them back in 2004. Perhaps you should've opted to do a second trek (Unfortunately I had a set # of days in PNV with none to spare for another trek. The unpopular group is a good hint.) and then requested for the 'unpopular' group. I last did the Golden Monkey trek in 2014 in the month of may when tourist numbers are low. We were 7 in the group. A small group makes all the difference. Had the best encounter of the monkeys so far... viewed them as they hopped through the bamboo and then moved out into the open potato gardens. Enjoyed watching them dig, clean and eat potatoes which is quite a delicacy for them. Maybe it was the potatoes put them in the mood. Pictures were fantastic!! Planning to do them again early this year before the tourism peak season. I'm glad the golden monkeys are doing well.