Game Warden

Lions having a sundowner (Photos)

23 posts in this topic

Christina Carr (aka Gid) from Norman Carr Safaris (www.normancarrsafaris.com) has shared with me this tremendous set of images taken of lions enjoying one of their organised sundowners. She also provides the commentary...

gallery_1_155_50868.jpg

Lions invading sundowners!That's Rosie P and Job the waiter in the car - staying VERY still and quiet! more to come.......

gallery_1_155_8919.jpg

More lion sundowners.

gallery_1_155_7304.jpg

Lioness taking a liking to the hurricane lamps.

gallery_1_155_28995.jpg

She actually grabbed one and walked away with it still lit - she dropped it soon after - no harm done to her - lamp is b*ggered though!

gallery_1_155_40831.jpg

Next it was the handwashing bowls turn to get trashed.

gallery_1_155_54988.jpg

Amazingly she didn't actually puncture it - just bent it - we're still using it for sundowners - teeth marks an all.

This would certainly be a high point of any safari! G&T anyone?

2 people like this

Funny - did they get the biltongs?

I took those pictures. I was going to include them on my trip report from South Luangwa but I sent them Christina today and she obviously beat me to the punch! for the real commentary you will have to wait for my trip report as she wasn't there!

1 person likes this

Great set of photos white stork: tell us more about the background leading up to these "guests" intruding upon the sundowner! You must have been very excited...

well to summarise we came to our sundowner spot (it was a surprise from the safari company) and as we saw the table and drinks on the left we also saw the lions, 3 youngsters between 1 and 3 years on the left, by the Luangwa River. we went to see the lions, got some photos and then they got up, walked over to the table and all hell broke loose. one stole the lantern, another the washing up bowl. we were a bit concerned at the lantern situation luckily the cat dropped it after playing in a bush with it and we were able to retrieve it. the bowl was not so lucky and was subjected to 2-3 mins of play from the 3 cats. we finally got that back, went back for our sundowners, "thank heavens they didn't take the wine" was my father's view on the situation.

after sundowners we followed the lions who met up with 6 others of their pride to go hunting. we never saw the kill as it was getting late but the next morning they were happily sleeping off a zebra feast so that obviously tasted better than the lantern!

funnily enough two weeks before I was guiding in Chobe and we were out having an early morning tea break and snack by the river, not far from Ihaha. One of the guests, who was on the other side of the vehicle, called me to say something was coming through the bushes towards him. sure enough it was a young lioness and that put an abrupt halt to our breakfast. moral of the story is to check the area thoroughly before you get off the vehicle for a loo, tea or sundowner break!

1 person likes this

No it was when we were staying at Kapani. IT was my first time in this park so my orientation not great but it was on the open flood plains along the Luangwa which are usually full of puku grazing not too far from the main gate.

Excellent! Certainly not something you see every safari trip :o

Great sighting.

Where did this happen? Kakuli?

I am pretty sure I know where it happend. ;)

Here are the GPS co-ords;

13° 5'21.21"S

31°45'27.41"E

It is one of the main sundowner spots used by all the operators. Organised many a sundowner there.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the area, rather embarassing. Though if you take Riverside drive from the gate, you get to an open area opposite the old Chinzombo site.

Taking the all weather road, you take the first left and head towards the old airstrip and the open area will be on your left. It is the road that takes you to the roundabout with the large tree in the middle - always popular for leopards.

- An area with lots of Puku, Imapala and Sasuage Trees.

Could be wrong.......though with it being only just in the park, seems the likely candidate. (other choice it the Wafwa)

Raises the question again of whether wild lions actually do have natural avoidance behaviours to humans!

I suppose everyone who does a walking tour hopes like hell that lions avoid humans. I believe that they do avoid the Maasai but there they have been hunted for years.

Last October at W.S. Savuti Camp they put on a Halloween bush dinner, incidentally not one American was

present. It was a jolly, noisy evening with the tables decorated with pumpkin lamps, when suddenly someone

pointed out two lionesses strolling past, just the other side of of the parked vehicles where a ' ladies loo' had been

set up complete with camp chair with loo seat fitted on. The lionesses took one bit of notice of us and walked the

whole length of the table at a very leisurely pace and disappeared into the darkness. Somehow I managed not to

take a photo!

Jan

I am pretty sure I know where it happend. :)It is one of the main sundowner spots used by all the operators. Organised many a sundowner there.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the area, rather embarassing. Though if you take Riverside drive from the gate, you get to an open area opposite the old Chinzombo site.

Russel - is that the spot where herds of elephants always used to congregate into one mega herd at sunset to cross the river to feed in the GMA after dark? Mark Evans, used to take guests there to watch the crossing when he was at Kapani.

The elepahnts probably don't congregate into such large herds to cross now, but they did when the poaching was much worse in the '80s.

I suppose everyone who does a walking tour hopes like hell that lions avoid humans. I believe that they do avoid the Maasai but there they have been hunted for years.

In my experience (as is probably the same with most of you) lions tend to behave very differntly towards humans on vehicles compared to humans on foot. While they will usually let vehicles get very close and pay them very little attention, they will not let humans walking get anywhere near as close and will usually move off a distance (unless it means abandoning a kill) if they see people walking.

I am pretty sure I know where it happend. :P
I see, that's opposite Wildlife Bush Camp. Don't know this particular spot - must be preferred Kapani/Wildlife/Mfuwe Lodge area.

I suppose everyone who does a walking tour hopes like hell that lions avoid humans.
That can't be me. :P

In my experience (as is probably the same with most of you) lions tend to behave very differntly towards humans on vehicles compared to humans on foot. While they will usually let vehicles get very close and pay them very little attention, they will not let humans walking get anywhere near as close and will usually move off a distance (unless it means abandoning a kill) if they see people walking.

I guess that is the crux of the problem when we look at breeding lions and re-introducing them into the wild. Will they ever fear humans again? I'm not convinced.

Topping this sighting for newer members who might not have seen it. Has this ever happened to you at a sundowner?

Years ago we had a pack of wild dogs joining us for sundowner at Lebala.
We were out of the vehicle when the pack came over a termite mount.

We stayed put outside the car as our guide Hector told us.

The alpha female was just maybe 5 or so meters away from us sniffing at the table.

Sorry, no pictures as I was busy with my wine :unsure: . But a great experience (the wine and the dogs :) )

There was another car following the pack. I know, there was a lady taking pictures of the scene.

I asked to send me, but she didn´t :angry:

We had a pack of dogs join us for our sundowner last August:

:D :D :D

1 person likes this

So have you had unexpected guests at a sundowner?

Chitabe- 2006...  Sundowners at a beautiful small water area....Sun was pretty much gone, but still decent light....all of a sudden a group  of about 30 or so elephants showed up to take a drink. We just stood there quietly next to the car and watched this magical show happen in front of us.....dimming light, shadows, rumbles of elephants...total bliss  They arrived, drank and walked back out again....it will remain with me forever.