See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What wildlife is in your Woods / Backyard?

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:00 AM

A few years back when I was involved in farming every season we employed foreign workers from Australia, New Zealand & Africa as well as students from the local agricultural college which had a number of overseas students.
The pea crop was spread out the Romney Marsh area & surrounding districts.

The story goes of a South African Student who got very excited, early one morning, when he saw elephants on the hillside over looking the field (Paddock) where the team were harvesting, a twenty four hour operation.

"I've just seen elephants!"
"I did not know you had elephants here in England!"

It was a a few days before the team told him that he had seen the elephants at Port Lympne Animal Park, part of the Aspinal Foundation but by then he had told everyone he met that he was amazed we still had elephants here in the UK.
:lol:

#22 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,152 posts
  • Local time: 07:14 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

The problem here (atleast in South India) is, that the ancient migratory routes are either cut off or severely encroached by settlements ........ and hence the conflicts, more during the dry season when the Elephants need plenty of water.

The monsoons have just arrived, albeit a couple weeks late - so, I guess there won't be any Elephant sightings for a month or two!

Btw, this feels like a gloomy/overcast day ....... in and out drizzle as I type this.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#23 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,633 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

To keep the Game Warden happy, a photo taken of some little corellas, not in our garden but down the road.
Posted Image
  • Thursday's Child and fictionauthor like this

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#24 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

This is a great topic, Brian! I am still reeling from my first and only sighting of a black squirrel two days ago in the park next to where I live. The rest of the squirrels are all reddish brown. Since I am just up the coast from you, my wildlife is pretty much the same as yours. Where's that squirrel fanatic who popped into safaritalk a few months ago?

I bet some of your video of local animals was actually more challenging to shoot than of the exotic African animals. The robin for example does not stay put like a resting lion.

This gem of a location where I live--between two county parks--produces deer (I had 2 great sightings yesterday while riding on the bikepath), possums, skunks, gray foxes but not since the coyotes moved in, woodchucks, raccoons, rabbits, wild turkey (seen only twice), great blue herons, green herons, mallards, merganzers, muskrats, turtles, and once in a while the beautiful red fox.

The park is also where my own cat and domestic rabbit came from years ago. Apparently people see the park as an area to dump unwanted pets. Both are now gone, but had good lives with me.

When I got to the rabbit in your video, I was reminded of how I spent my time about a week ago waiting for the bus to Wisconsin, after arriving in O'Hare from my Pantanal trip. There was a baby bunny hiding in the lillies that would hop out onto the grass and eat. It was very used to people so I got out my camera and got down on all fours and started taking photos, the final wildlife shots of my trip.

What a beautiful tree full of birds, Twaffle. I'll offer up a single bunny I took last week at O'Hare.bunny_paint.jpg
  • Thursday's Child likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#25 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

This is a great topic, Brian! I am still reeling from my first and only sighting of a black squirrel two days ago in the park next to where I live. The rest of the squirrels are all reddish brown. Since I am just up the coast from you, my wildlife is pretty much the same as yours. Where's that squirrel fanatic who popped into safaritalk a few months ago?

I bet some of your video of local animals was actually more challenging to shoot than of the exotic African animals. The robin for example does not stay put as a resting lion does.

Like Mrs. P, I've also witnessed a mating ritual out of my window. Disturbingly it was two of my neighbors on the bluff (and in the buff--couldn't resist) overlooking Lake Michigan. Now I must banish this unsettling vision from my mind because one of them still lives here.

Hari, I wonder if elephants so close to where you live put them in the same category for you as deer are for me. A cool sighting, but not one I necessarily stop for.

This gem of a location where I live--between two county parks--produces deer (I had 2 great sightings yesterday while riding on the bikepath), possums, skunks, gray foxes but not since the coyotes moved in, woodchucks, raccoons, rabbits, wild turkey (seen only twice), great blue herons, green herons, mallards, merganzers, muskrats, turtles, and once in a while the beautiful red fox.

The park is also where my own cat and domestic rabbit came from years ago. Apparently people see the park as an area to dump unwanted pets. Both are now gone, but had good lives with me.

When I got to the rabbit in your video, I was reminded of how I spent my time about a week ago waiting for the bus to Wisconsin, after arriving in O'Hare from my Pantanal trip. There was a baby bunny hiding in the lillies that would hop out onto the grass and eat. It was very used to people so I got out my camera and got down on all fours and started taking photos, the final wildlife shots of my trip.

What a beautiful tree full of birds, Twaffle. I'll offer up a single bunny I took last week at O'Hare airport in Chicago.bunny_paint.jpg

#26 rickmck

rickmck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:50 AM

Would that be the Hare that the airport (O! Hare!) is named for? I hope he's got TSA clearance! :P

#27 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:18 AM

Lynn has presented us some "spot the difference" game. :lol:

#28 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:46 AM

Lynn was just making sure that we read her excellent post. I like being on eye level with the rabbit, makes for a nice portrait. I hope we will get a Pantanal trip report with photos here as well.

#29 Hebog

Hebog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

Nappa,

I've just noticed you've moved to the land of the wind and mists; though it's been quite benign don't be fooled :P

I sat in bed last night listening to the Lions roar as a Badger snuffled through the garden. Two years ago we had a Timber Wolf in the field behind our house and I'm told Wild Boar are on the increase. Of course only the Badger and now the Wild Boar are resident. The Lion are just down the road at the Zoo Park which is where the Wolf came from.

#30 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hebog take a look at the following clips all filmed in the Aldington / Bilsington area.

Wild Boar

Badgers & Foxes

WARNING !!...This is a blatant camera advert. Filmed at Stowting

#31 russell

russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Sadly I have to drive down the coast to from Walmer to enjoy the exotic wildlife of Kent.

Still, my 2 year old neice loves Howletts and Port Lyme - She is being trained early in life. She loves to look through my photos and screams every time she sees and elephant.

Au revior ST - its been a pleasure, see you in 2015!

#32 Hebog

Hebog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for those Nappa. I'm still to see a Boar cross or not. There are confirmed sightings from a small Copse about 1/2 mile away (East of Aldington) so they've come up the rise from Bilsington. A farmer nearby has a herd of large black pigs which often escape and are spotted in the fields around here so I react to many sightings with a smiling nod but friends of mine who are farmers (with pigs) or were working at the Zoo when they had some Wild Boar (whatever happened to all of those :P?) have also seen them. Then there are all the videos and pictures - including that one at Coopers (Butchers) in Aldington.

I suppose if I acted as if I was on Safari I would see a lot more - the original point by Brian I guess?

Russell, I can understand your granddaughter screaming I get nervous around Elephant too ;)

Nappa; I forgot to say welcome to the Highlands!

#33 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hebog, I just love the idea that we could have stood in line at Coopers together!
& to be honest I've lived in the "Highlands" for 15 years or so! :P

#34 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:22 AM

The hare at O'Hare. Good one Rick!

Rather than a spot the difference game, I lost control of my clicking or something. I have not decided to post in duplicate to try to be important.

#35 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:26 AM

But it is a quick way to increase your number of posts! :P

#36 Hebog

Hebog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

Nappa,

I wonder if you can recognise a fellow traveller? Do we all have a certain distant look or wear Khaki? I'll be interrogating everyone in the line.

Now I know what's in my woods - it's Nappa!

#37 Brian's Art for Animals

Brian's Art for Animals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

The cottontails are cute. Probably one of the few things seen around OHare since they cleared out more land. I have only seen one skunk in my area, but saw two roadkill raccoons just today on my way to work. I always took the raccoons to be smart, but i guess not that smart to know what damage a moving vehicle can do to them.
I remember seeing a zorilla while on a night drive in Kenya. I was sitting up top the jeep and freaked out and everyone thought i saw a cat..but something about them skunks and skunk types that are a thrill.

#38 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

A lot less is in my woods now! The sanctuary near us was set up many years ago with (at that time) revolutionary anti feral animal fencing and a strong population of many small marsupials grew up there. Over the years the owner bought adjoining farms to make quite a large property and it all seemed to be going well. Now, several owners later, the current owners have hit hard times and have sold off the extra titles, 2 of which have maintained their fencing, so protecting their little marsupials but the one nearest us has cut a huge hole in the fence to gain access and to put in a drive way. So, of course all the feral cats and foxes, of which we have many, can head off into this supermarket and feed to their hearts content! It wouldn't have taken much to do as the other purchasers had done, and installed a proper gate so protecting these endangered little animals. They could have enjoyed the wonderful sight of these creatures for years to come. Bah humbug to them, and they are going to be our neighbours. Relations are already on thin ice, but they don't know it yet!!!!!

I am just a LITTLE disgusted by this lack of spirit in looking after our native heritage. ;)

#39 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,502 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

I understand that Australia and NZ have huge problems with feral animals, especially cats. I personally wont keep cats, as there is no way that you can guarantee that they don't kill every little critter. We have enough problems with the Jack Russel. Thankfully the squirrels are too smart and fast for it.

Do you need a license for a cat down under?

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#40 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

Do you need a license for a cat down under?

Unfortunately, no. You can keep as many cats as you like, they can roam free day or night killing as they will. You don't have to have them desexed, so they can breed as much as they want. Don't get me wrong, I love cats and have had several in past years but they need to be looked after. I won't keep them now as my wild birds are too precious and I don't have a suitable outdoor cage system for them.

It is an insane lack of regulation as the cat lobby is too strong. We have regulations for all sorts of silly things, but not this really important matter.

You are only allowed 2 dogs in most suburban areas and they must be registered and kept under control. Good thing too, but the difference in the two pet regulations is vast.

You can't keep native animals or birds without a permit. You certainly wouldn't be allowed exotic animals (like they seem to have in the USA and other countries) without a permit. I know this because we thought about some black buck we were offered, but the restrictions are pretty onerous, as they should be.

We have two Jack Russell's but they are kept in the yard (large) and don't catch the rats or anything useful.

It's a mad world.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.