Brian's Art for Animals

What wildlife is in your Woods / Backyard?

492 posts in this topic

Haven't been to the woods in a while, but often enough while driving around near my house or my parents' house (suburban Nairobi), I see White-Tailed Mongoose and Genets.

When I sometimes go to Karura Forest (also within Nairobi), I see bushbuck and Common Duikers and tracks of all sorts of interesting stuff. Lots of good birds and butterflies too, as expected.

My girlfriend lives in Karen, right near the Giraffe Centre, and we sometimes hear lion in the garden. It has been right outside the house in the past, but not so close recently.

There's a really good new guide to Nairobi National Park, put out by the Friends of Nairobi National Park. and there's an interesting section on the Park's Leopards, where it talks about how far into Nairobi they venture - all the way to Ngong road!

My dad, being a vet, has had to treat Nairobi suburban dogs on several occasions that have been attacked by leopards and bush pigs.

I'm ashamed to say that our dogs once killed a zorilla in our garden, and I haven't seen one since. The problem with having predatory pets in areas with wildlife. Cats are by far the worst culprits, the world over, for killing indigenous wildlife (especially birds).

More of the same for me. We have this very "wolf" looking coyote i see almost monthly now near me. My skunk friends still seem to hide on me...what nerve as I am probably the only one around that actually likes the little smelly guys.

1 person likes this

Black Swan (Cygnus atratus). State bird for Western Australia

gallery_5084_378_194454.jpg

Snapped at an out door wedding on the (aptly named) Swan River, Perth on Sunday.

Details:

Pentax K-5II & Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL

f9, 1/400 sec, ISO-200, 250mm (some cropping and exposure adjustment)

I am still to find a suitable explanation for Mrs ZaminOz as to why there is no picture of the bridal gown, but one of a swan!

4 people like this

It would seem obvious to everyone here!

Posted (edited)

Three of these guys walked right past our lounge room the other day

121022_B2D6170.jpg

Then I saw this while out for a walk down the drive

121116_B2D6225.jpg

The snake had hold of a tree frog but it couldn't get it's head back out of the hole with a gob full of frog. Eventually it gave up, I looked in the hole and the frog seemed none the worse for wear.

And this while having a cuppa

121105_B2D6180.jpg

He chased away all the birds that were feeding at the time.

Rob

Edited by graynomad
6 people like this

Am waiting for the Eurasian hoopoes to return to Safaritalk HQ, at night we get owls flying across the garden and its wonderful to hear them calling out.

Dinner time yesterday we got a call from a neighbor (two houses away) that a bobcat carrying a cottontail just walked through their yard. I grabbed a camera and went out to look. Nothing. As I headed back home I saw the tail and back half of the bobcat going along the side of our house. I went out the front door and there it was in a corner of our court yard. Looking at me. Grooming, after dinner. Then settling down. We left it there sleeping.

post-17651-0-93597900-1368380460_thumb.jpg

10 people like this

Wow!!

The hoopoes are back, and we've had fireflies come visit. Haven't seen them in a very long time, so obviously doing something right with the garden to encourage them in... also more slow worms recently.

Life is good!

Here I am again in the middle of the desert..... One month ago it was the bobcat and this morning a coyote. I could not believe it as I was sitting there eating breakfast and it walked right by on our patio. It went into some bushes in our yard, then crossed a creek where it was joined by another one. They were hunting then took off across the golf course.

post-17651-0-40838500-1371323051_thumb.jpg

7 people like this

They're on their way out now, but we've had a few billion 17 year-cycle cicadas in our back yard this past month. Perfect setting for them with all the trees and unpaved soil below. Fascinating and beautiful insects - do take a look at this video below.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3361789

Eurasian Hoopoe in the HQ's backgarden as we speak :)

What wildlife did you see locally over the weekend? Take any photos? If so, upload them here for us to see.

what amazing wildlife you all get in your backyard. what i would give for a coyote or a bobcat at mine.

A small canal ran behind my previous house, and that canal connected to a river. Opposite the river was wild vegetation and we used to watch monitor lizards about a metre and a half swimming in the waters. One of these crawled into our back garden one day as well! but the government started clearing that for a wastewater treatment plant (yea, i'm living within walking distance from that!), and they are all gone now. sad. i loved watching those beasts.

In my garden, there used to be lots of small garden iguanas and lizards, birds and small snakes crawling among our bushes. But my tenacious hunter - a cross-breed terrier - used to bring them into the house as souvenirs. I think she wiped out all the garden lizards so for a long time we never saw them. but recently the lizards are starting to return, in part, because my dog is older (turning 13 in January) so she's not as nosy as she was in the garden.

here are some pix, not so good, but enough to show what kind of wildlife remains in the urban jungle.

P1010073.JPG

the one that got away - common garden/changeable lizard

P1010050.JPG

Olive backed sunbird

P1010064.JPG

Javan mynah

P1010069.JPG

yellow-vented bulbul

P1010091.JPG]

Black naped Oriole

4 people like this

So what have you spotted recently? Any photos to share?

A repeat visitor to our verandah appeared again 2 nights ago. The silly thing climbs the verandah posts and wedges himself between the top rail and the metal roof. Eventually he figures out that it isn't an access route to any eucalyptus manna from heaven (pun intended) and slowly climbs down and heads back into the garden. This time he had to climb down and up and down several times until he figured it out. Unfortunately, it was quite late in the day and raining hence the low depth of field and darkness.

gallery_5545_921_207741.jpg

gallery_5545_921_1020.jpg

gallery_5545_921_204222.jpg

gallery_5545_921_13782.jpg

10 people like this

So how the heck do you beat a koala for backyard wildlife? I can't, so I'll just carry on.

Don't have a picture handy right now, but we had a barred owl in broad daylight last week. It stayed around all day. Mrs. P. has some nice photos - I'll try to round one up.

1 person likes this

It'll help you reach the order of the pith as well :)

Wonderful pics from @@twaffle - I think I know a great location for the next Australia GTG!

1 person likes this

You are lucky to have these little guys around Hilary, I know they can be cantankerous but they are as cute as all heck. Nice photos of him.

1 person likes this

It'll help you reach the order of the pith as well :)

Working on it...

One post

At a time.

At this time of year the koalas are busy mating and the noise is very loud and bellicose. At first sound you'd think it was some big African predator. We do have lots of koalas which is nice, and occasionally we get a kangaroo passing through although the horses aren't keen on them. Sadly, most of our little marsupials have been eaten by all the b*#$$* cats that people just won't keep locked up at night. :unsure: