Brian's Art for Animals

What wildlife is in your Woods / Backyard?

501 posts in this topic

What was I thinking of! Obviously my brain has frazzled with age! I know that I'm old, but now I'm just proving

it! You are a gentleman, Pangolin, and you are a realist, twaffle. Mea culpa.

Jan

What was I thinking of! Obviously my brain has frazzled with age! I know that I'm old, but now I'm just proving

it! You are a gentleman, Pangolin, and you are a realist, twaffle. Mea culpa.

Jan

I suppose I should be glad I'm not a gentleman! :(

twaffle, you are a lady, that goes without saying.

Jan

I should have done my trip report today. The osprey was perched on a tree branch right along the river, and I saw a skunk on the trail for the first time ever.

Pangolin, now I'm jealous. I can't do ospreys, but do have visits from rose-ringed parakeets. Escaped from

captivity, originally from India, I believe and now very keen on eating on my nut feeders.

Jan

Such a good Idea Pangolin. I decided to add my trip report from my Saturday morning walk. ( in fact it was after the walk that I decided to go back with the camera.

Trip Report... Birds and the bees

Strap on a pair of size 12's

gallery_4095_207_45627.jpg

Exit gate.. to adjacent open land

gallery_4095_207_32611.jpg

Game viewing pretty poor, but it was Arum Lilly time.

gallery_4095_207_32343.jpg

Snapped a shot of this feral pigeon.

gallery_4095_207_7200.jpg

Some fossilized remains

gallery_4095_207_18968.jpg

Always see a few of these...

gallery_4095_207_12552.jpg

I dont know the name of this bird, but he was pretty chirpy so I had to click at him

gallery_4095_207_20067.jpg

Wild African Killer bees. :P Dont get too close.

gallery_4095_207_60377.jpg

I tried quite hard to get a picture of this for you, lots of post editing necessary.

gallery_4095_207_23513.jpg

But it flew away. Had to cut quit a bit away from this photo.

gallery_4095_207_10070.jpg

And on my way back I heard this Egyptian Goose and managed to snap a photo of it too.

gallery_4095_207_14664.jpg

probably walked less than one km. But what was pretty refreshing was taking a new look at things that you are taking for granted.

2 people like this

dikdik-

NO FAIR (comparing South Africa to Oregon), but well done! Very enjoyable. I had to go get my "Newman's". Is the sunbird a Southern (or lesser) double-collared sunbird?

Anyone know the other bird?

wow.. nice report from Oregon. And Dik Dik, I remember back in the 80's being told in my grade school to be careful as those killer bees from Africa were coming to get us all. That and the Russians were going to drop the bomb on us any day. What great times as a kid.

Pangolin, I agree with the Southern sun bird, but not sure about the lbj !

Jan

I'll get out My Newman's again tonight and have a go at it. Much more fun than watching TV.

Could it be some sort of cisticola?

Could it be some sort of cisticola?

Not many to choose between, then? Knowing the location of the sighting might help, but not much.

Jan

found this near the horses this weekend.

gallery_4095_83_17768.jpg

I think it ate my goat. We been looking for the goat for a while now.

1 person likes this

Of course I couldn't resist and had to pick him up. How do you like my skipping rope?

gallery_4095_83_6983.jpg

2 people like this

What a spectacular snake. Do you really think it ate your goat? If it did, it probably won't have to feed again for a while.

No, I dont think it ate the goat, but we think a bigger one did, or a caracal, or it was just stolen.

This one was a little too thin and hungry.

Dikdik, impressive snake. Did he try to bite you? I hope the goat returns.

Maybe I could add a hedgehog.

gallery_42_59_55889.jpg
2 people like this

Brian's topic deserves to be brought to the top of the new World Wildlife talk forum - what have you seen near your home recently?

During the Lights Out hour we saw two Great Horned Owls fly by. I only saw one, but my husband saw them both. The light from others who were not participating in the Lights Out Hour illuminated the area enough, plus lots of moonlight, for us to see.

Thanks for bringing back this topic with the hedge hog.

Earlier this month I heard a terrible screaming and growling outside my office window which sounded just like a wailing child. Thinking that it might be my daughter who had been out walking the dog, I rushed outside to find two koalas having a "discussion" about mating rights.

It was raining gently so the photos were a bit dull and by the time I had raced inside to get my camera they had separated and this one was acting like it had nothing to do with the fuss, whilst the other one looked like it was protecting a youngster in the pouch … or had an injured paw.

koala2886.jpg

2 people like this

Wow! Doesn't seem like these cute little guys could get testy.

Wow! Doesn't seem like these cute little guys could get testy.

Just don't try to pick them up! They bite and scratch with the best of them, and they sound just like growling lions.

So who's been out in their local woods recently? Any interesting sightings and pics?

Okay...I live in the Cochella Valley, the desert east of Los Angeles. We hear coyotes at night and see scat. We have had a bobcat on our patio and big horn sheep only a block away. We, too, live on a golf course, no golf ball eating dogs, and have incredible bird life....red tail hawks, American kestrels, egrets, green herons, great blue herons, owls (again heard at night), vermilion fly catchers, ash troated flycaters, black phoebes, loggerhead shrikes, western kingbirds, white-winged and mourning doves, curve-billed thrashers, etc. And, once a black-necked stilt. It's not bad for the middle of nowhere.

1 person likes this