See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Brian's Art for Animals

What wildlife is in your Woods / Backyard?

480 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

We have very tall sliding glass windows from our living room leading out to the back yard. Occasionally, a bird will fly into one of them. Often they recover after a period of time and luckily that happened with this little bird that flew into one of the windows this morning. Luckily we saw it happen. Our dog, Dusty, was outside when it happened and he saw it too. He ran over and sniffed at the poor thing that was lying on the deck with its wing at an odd angle breathing but otherwise not moving. Fortunately, we ran out and stopped him from doing more than sniffing. My daughter tried to gently pick it up with a towel I brought her but the towel was making it hard to do without fear of hurting the wing so she used her hand. She snapped this photo right before it flew away. Can anyone identify it? Is it some kind of dove? 

IMG_6764.thumb.JPG.43cadef601c996eebd0768069ce3a7c9.JPG

Edited to add that my friend who lives near me says it is a dove but I'm not sure what kind.

Edited by SafariChick
to add that local friend identified bird as a dove
2 people like this

@Safarichck - looks like a fledgling/immature Mourning Dove.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but often birds that hit windows and seem to recover actually have cerebral edema and can succumb later to their injuries.

If you have windows that repeatedly have bird collisions, you might want to consider installing ultraviolet reflective window film.  It is invisible to the human eye, causes no issues cleaning the window, yet birds can see it and avoid the window like it is a brick wall.

These folks make a great product:

http://www.collidescape.org/home?gclid=CPSvoI6FyNQCFVOewAodpzkEQw

3M also makes a range of products:

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/home-window-solutions-us/

Amazon carries some products too:

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Protection-Window-Film-Wide/dp/B004JAW3KW

2 people like this

@offshorebirder aw, sorry to hear that it may seem to be ok but later succumb. But thank you for the links, that is so interesting to know such a product exists - I had no idea. I will check it out. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Doves are tougher than songbirds so I bet it is OK @SafariChick

Edited by offshorebirder
1 person likes this

So little time for photography in the past 6 months but I did get to spend one hour watching the very reclusive Australasian Bittern hunting in a salt marsh near my home.

Aust-Bittern_86I3926.jpg

5 people like this