See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Anti-Malaria medication? For the Okavango and beyond!!!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_sniktawk_*

Guest_sniktawk_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

Nyama

Do I really have to reread F , I would prefer not too.

The main reason I do not take Malaria prophylactics is the time I spend in so called dangerous areas, long term usage is very bad for you.

I have also been told that the constant use by so many people will mean that eventually these "medicines" will loose their effectiveness, and their (Larium) use in the treatment of people who have actually caught Malaria will be useless.

Anybody know when the Chinese stuff will be available?

#22 Nyamera

Nyamera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

One of the biggest culture shocks when visiting the F is the enthusiastic munching of antibiotics. All Fodorites have one called Cipro on the packing list. Everyone I know Ė in Sweden, Spain is a different case - only use antibiotics when itís absolutely necessary and never for viral infections. On the F some posters even recommend preventive usage of antibiotics. The only reason I can think of for something so insane is lots of shares in pharmaceuticals companies. Though I donít really know that much about health issues and I never get around to contacting antibiotics awareness groups to ask what I should post on those threads.

I'm just thinking about buying some shares of certain pharmaceutical manufacturers and then posting in F's Europe forum about the dangers of tickborne encephalitis...

TBE shots are already big business this time of the year.
Siku ya kufa nyani miti yote huteleza.

READ THIS PLEASE

#23 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

I'm late to this thread.

I too have witnessed first hand the effects of malaria. On a walking safari in the early 1990's I literally walked/carried the tracker back to camp. I have never seen anyones skin turn so grey and his shuddering was horrendous. Luckily the necessary medication was back at camp.

From that day on I knew I could not afford to get that disease and have taken precautions ever since.
Geoff.

#24 tonypark

tonypark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

Always take my pills, but when possible I buy Malazone, in Zimbabwe - when the exchange rate worked in our favour it was US$1 for 6 months' worth. They were probably out-of-date generics, but made us feel like we were doing the right thing.

I bought a tester kit in SA on the last trip and reckon that's a good thing to carry, plus some black market coartem we got off a hunter.

#25 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

All Fodorites have one called Cipro on the packing list.

You wouldn't get a prescription for Cipro at my place just for the travel health kit.

#26 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 PM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

nyama
Does this mean you would not get Yellow Fever shots too?

#27 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Does this mean you would not get Yellow Fever shots too?

No problem with yellow fever shots.

There's good reason that certain drugs are only available by prescription, and I fully understand why our doctors refuse to prescribe a drug like Cipro for "just in case" usage.

#28 russell

russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Local time: 01:34 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:37 AM

I am one of the people to contract Malaria whilst on Malarone and now rarely take it. Possibly for short visits.

I do take this though, Demel200, when in the Luangwa Valley and Towns.

I felt Malarial at Tafika, and following the spraying guide lines seemed to recover. Though it could have quite easily been something else too.

Au revior ST - its been a pleasure, see you in 2015!

#29 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts
  • Local time: 12:34 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

Are both Kenya and Tanzania included in the list for travel with requirement of Yellow Fever shots? or just Kenya?

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#30 BJlock

BJlock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Will you all humor me if I revive this thread? I'm really curious if opinions have changed now that it is 6-7 years later? Maybe malaria is even less of an issue in some areas now?

I posted on another thread that I'm on the fence about taking Malarone (or tablets in general really). We are headed to Botswana (Okavango Delta) mid-April. Staying with Wilderness Safari in Chitabe, Little Vembura and Duma Tau. I think this should be the tail end of rainy season? Doc (that has never been) doesn't think we'll have an issue with malaria. Travel place recommends, but I'm skeptical. WS is vague. CDC says malaria zone. Husband thinks I'm crazy (he may be on to something there).

Second half trip in Kwazulu Natal (Rocktail & PHinda), which seems pretty much confirmed as a malaria area. We are scuba diving at Rocktail, so have learned to avoid Lariam; the good news is that Malarone doesn't appear to pose a risk for diving.

I suppose we could not take the tablets for the first half of the trip, but that seems silly to me. If I have to take it, seems to be sensible to just take the whole time. Or, am I missing something?

Thank you for humoring me in bringing an old thread back.

#31 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:07 AM

@BJlock. I take Malarone because my wife gives me the eye whenever I talk about not taking it. If I did get malaria after not taking it I would never hear the last of it. To me it's up to your "risk appetite" and my wife's views mean any risk is too much for me to stomach, especially since I don't appear to have any reaction to Malarone.

To me this is perfectly logical.

Tell your husband that despite your ethical reservations and doctor's advice, you will take it for him. An interesting experiment to see how he reacts if nothing else.
  • BJlock likes this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#32 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Will you all humor me if I revive this thread? I'm really curious if opinions have changed now that it is 6-7 years later? Maybe malaria is even less of an issue in some areas now?

I posted on another thread that I'm on the fence about taking Malarone (or tablets in general really). We are headed to Botswana (Okavango Delta) mid-April. Staying with Wilderness Safari in Chitabe, Little Vembura and Duma Tau. I think this should be the tail end of rainy season? Doc (that has never been) doesn't think we'll have an issue with malaria. Travel place recommends, but I'm skeptical. WS is vague. CDC says malaria zone. Husband thinks I'm crazy (he may be on to something there).

Second half trip in Kwazulu Natal (Rocktail & PHinda), which seems pretty much confirmed as a malaria area. We are scuba diving at Rocktail, so have learned to avoid Lariam; the good news is that Malarone doesn't appear to pose a risk for diving.

I suppose we could not take the tablets for the first half of the trip, but that seems silly to me. If I have to take it, seems to be sensible to just take the whole time. Or, am I missing something?

Thank you for humoring me in bringing an old thread back.

Take it for the whole time, plus the 1-2 days before and week after. Although malaria is treatable, if can be rapidly fatal and if you are in the middle of nowhere, it can take avery long time to get medical help....

#33 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

I agree with TD.  You should visit a travel medicine person not only for the malarone but to make sure that your other shots and drinks are up to date.  We have never gone to Africa without first consulting our travel med guy.  And, we have always taken malarone or the generic starting the day prior and for the week following the trip.  Why would you take the risk when it is so easy to avoid having a problem?!

#34 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

I agree with @marg @Tdgraves and @pault (I think my husband takes it for the same reason Paul takes it - to avoid my wrath if he developed malaria after not doing so!) - I've taken malarone on my two trips to Africa, having visited a travel dr. first and determined what were the malarial areas.  Larium scares me and I personally would avoid it, having heard stories of bad reactions - including this harrowing story of a man who traveled to India on a Fulbright scholarship and lost all memory of who he was as a result of taking Larium - he wrote a book about it.  http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0547519273

#35 penolva

penolva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Local time: 12:34 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

Please don't risk it. My daughters friend went to live in Kenya, got malaria and died. She was from the Scilly Isles in Cornwall, only 20 years old. Her Kenyan husband carried her to the nearest hospital but too late. C

#36 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

Been to Africa twice now....summer and winter and I have not got bitten once by any insect....I can however sit out on my deck at my home in South Carolina on a summer's evening and get bite multiple times by mosquitos.....they are not the malaria carrying ones but they do itch....

#37 samburumags

samburumags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

If in doubt take it!  I have always taken Malarone but have to agree it is horrendously expensive.  I spoke to an English family who live in Nanyuki , they have two small children, the wife has had malaria but no members of the family take the drug or any other as long term effects especially for children can be dreadful.  They just use creams and nets. 

But, in the gathering darkness, deep behind my soul, someone, something whispers "Africa"" (Mark Owens "Secrets of the Savannah")

#38 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,753 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

in Australia doctors are now prescribinf doxyciyline to raise general immunity, its side affect is that you are more likely to get sun burnt

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#39 Soukous

Soukous

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • Category 1:Tour Operator
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Malaria is no fun.

After 2 trips with out any noticeable bites I went to Selous & Mozambique without taking any anti-malarials. Guess what?

I felt unwell in Mozambique and went to a local clinic where they tested and said I DID NOT have malaria. I thought they should know what they were doing as it was a dedicated malaria clinic.

fever, chills. sweats, dizziness, headaches, hallucinations - I had them all.

Went to the doctor when i got home for tests. Wondering what it could be if it wasn't malaria.

he phoned me at 8am next morning (he phoned me at 8am next morning) and told me I had falicparum malaria and that I should go immediately to hospital.

I went to hospital where they put a quinine drip in one arm and a glucose drip in the other. I was in bed like that for 3 days.

My doctor told me that if I had left it another day the consequences would have been very serious. I was advised not to visit any malaria risk areas for at least 6 months.

He also told me that I need not bother calling him if I skipped taking anti-malarials again.

Anti malarial tablets don't taste great and they are not cheap but they are a hell of a lot better than malaria.

Take the tablets!

• wilddog, samburumags, inyathi and 2 others like this

"if you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending the night in a closed room with a mosquito."

Martin Dunn FRGS

facebook: Wildlife Photography Africa

twitter@wildphotoafrica

#40 BJlock

BJlock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Yep, we'll be taking it the whole time.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.