Back in Nam

Bugs

Initially I tried to write a trip report, but got very self conscious about my writing after reading Lynns reports.

I decided to just post a (few) pictures of the recent road camping trip to Namibia. NB I have reduced these pictures as much as possible.

gallery_4095_96_27931.jpg

Our equipment

gallery_4095_96_8782.jpg

gallery_4095_96_59580.jpg

Drove from Cape Town to Orange river Lodge. Arrived midday and wished we had planned to drive further. We were supposed to stay there for two nights, but booked out after the first night wanting to get further into the holiday.

gallery_4095_96_52090.jpg

We took the Rosh Pinah road to Aus where we stayed the night.. Aus us close to where the desert horses are.

gallery_4095_96_760.jpg

We stayed at the Banhof hotel in Aus and were very comfortable.

gallery_4095_96_13716.jpg

gallery_4095_96_59395.jpg

gallery_4095_96_5495.jpg

gallery_4095_96_69907.jpg

gallery_4095_96_85276.jpg

gallery_4095_96_8844.jpg

Next day Luderitz. We got caught in a sandstorm which totally pitted the windscreen.

gallery_4095_96_11810.jpg

gallery_4095_96_48859.jpg

gallery_4095_96_8533.jpg

gallery_4095_96_7540.jpg

After the sandstorm we had a stone flick up off the trailer and smash the back windscreen. Dust poured into the car. Lots of it.

gallery_4095_96_22377.jpg

We stayed at Naukluft campsite… but we actually stayed at the wrong campsite, as Nelly (the GPS) had made a mistake. We were two days ahead of schedule now. We called the new GPS Nelly, so if we were to ask “ are we there yet” the answer was we Nelly there.

gallery_4095_96_7884.jpg

To make the bad day worse, pitted front windscreen, smashed back windscreen, we had a puncture and the tow hitch came lose. We fixed that at the dry pan.

gallery_4095_96_77823.jpg

By the time we had finished fixing the car, Jenny was very tired!!!

gallery_4095_96_48325.jpg

gallery_4095_96_28395.jpg

gallery_4095_96_44694.jpg

We tried to let the artist in us out.. But it was quite funny watching everyone with cameras trying something different.

gallery_4095_96_59831.jpg

Some more energetic folk prefer to climb the dunes and slide back down.

gallery_4095_96_7424.jpg

Next night we stayed at Agama… Highly recommended. There are lots of farms on the route and often you can rock up unannounced. Like we did.

gallery_4095_96_620.jpg

gallery_4095_96_19760.jpg

Next day we drove to Swakopmund. We were still a day ahead of schedule.

gallery_4095_96_10660.jpg

gallery_4095_96_4460.jpg

Where is the tail?

gallery_4095_96_7753.jpg

OH there it is.

We really enjoyed Swakopmund. There is so much to do and we ended up staying an extra day. Here I managed to make a better temporary repair to the back windscreen. Here we met a couple who had also smashed their back windscreen. We got on well and they accompanied us for the rest of the trip.

To be continued

From Swakopmund it was to Terrace Bay. It was not the best season for fishing and they were offering good discounts for accommodation at the time. Our new friends decided to join us for three nights here and they even bought a fishing rod with. Not enough can be said about the skeleton coast…. One really has to go there.

gallery_4095_96_49760.jpg

gallery_4095_96_1220.jpg

gallery_4095_96_11417.jpg

Old oil rig

gallery_4095_96_30851.jpg

Why we were there

gallery_4095_96_14362.jpg

gallery_4095_96_53790.jpg

gallery_4095_96_6601.jpg

The one that didn’t get away.

gallery_4095_96_8321.jpg

As we had to make it to Etosha in one day we had to leave the skeleton coast very early in the morning and arrived at the Springbok Wasser gate before it opened.

gallery_4095_96_69731.jpg

gallery_4095_96_16543.jpg

gallery_4095_96_25501.jpg

gallery_4095_96_64651.jpg

Great pics Dik dik and please don't be self conscious. However you want to convey the info and your experiences is your choice. The missing snake tail photo is one of the weirdest I've ever seen and the bones on the beach one of the most haunting. Those giant red dunes have to be spectacular. You ate well for at least one meal. I can tell by the fish photo. I may be asking you some Nambia questions some day hopefully if I go.

I don't know about where you live but in the US skeletons are the fashion rage and all the kids have them on their t-shirts and other clothes. Those big skeletons look like they are right in style.

I need to mention the Roads.

They are graded dirt roads which vary from time to time. You will find that if you drive too slowly the car rattles too much, so you have to drive above a certain speed. Once you find that speed....Lookout!!! we found ourselves comfortably traveling at 100 or more kilometers per hour, and with the glare, you don't always see the dips and you do a whoooop de whoooo.

Initially I found the traveling on the roads not too much bother, but after a few days of the dust and rattling you look forward to a tar road like you look forward to a dip in a swimming pool.

At this stage we joined the tar road that took us to Anderson gate.

Etosha will continue.

FINALLY

gallery_4095_96_364.jpg

gallery_4095_96_1792.jpg

Now we began to do game viewing Etosha style. Clearly the best way to see the animals in Etosha is just to sit at the waterhole at the campsite. It felt rather strange as hundreds of people sit around with cameras photographing the same animals in harsh daylight. Started making us think about being a bit more creative and to see if we could produce a picture that would be different from what others were doing.

gallery_4095_96_12119.jpg

gallery_4095_96_74872.jpg

gallery_4095_96_63734.jpg

gallery_4095_96_132899.jpg

Okaukeujo was by far the most active watering hole of all the camps. It was a bit like a conveyer belt with animals coming and posing for photos, and leaving. We were only booked at Okaukeujo for one night, and had to move to Halali for the next three nights. If you want to see lion, leopard or cheetah, you have to drive around a bit. We did see lion, but they eventually moved off. But by driving around we got a better idea about this extraordinary place.

gallery_4095_96_48603.jpg

gallery_4095_96_7944.jpg

gallery_4095_96_9480.jpg

gallery_4095_96_13525.jpg

The actual pan was fascinating. Animals trekked across this pan for miles.

gallery_4095_96_26832.jpg

gallery_4095_96_14762.jpg

gallery_4095_96_9505.jpg

gallery_4095_96_39119.jpg

To be continued.

Some more great shots. Those giraffes look familiar. Did you do that scissors movement with them? The ele in the water with the gazelles in the foreground and the drinking zebras are wonderful perspectives. So is the zebra snout and the tusk closeup. I'll have to remember the conveyer belt analogy.

madaboutcheetah

Hi Dik Dik,

Don't know how I missed your trip report until now........ Some beautiful pics out here and some stunning scenery. Etosha always seems a winner from all the galleries I have viewed.

Welcome back!!!

Hari

Last night was

gallery_4095_96_6126.jpg

And guess what we found????

gallery_4095_96_7094.jpg

what do these critters hunt???

gallery_4095_96_56330.jpg

We must have done the drive about six times.

This tree had a branch where I wanted to set up camp, so when I jumped to break off the branch, the whole tree fell and nearly crunched me.

gallery_4095_96_23263.jpg

It made a good bonfire for the night.

We left Etosha after one last trip through Dik Dik it was time to head home. We had a few stops on the way.

gallery_4095_96_16390.jpg

gallery_4095_96_19027.jpg

gallery_4095_96_441.jpg

gallery_4095_96_13319.jpg

Although I did swim in the hot spring, it was a bit hot and Managed to do a few laps of the bigger cooler pool.

gallery_4095_96_15213.jpg

gallery_4095_96_45716.jpg

Quiver tree lodge

gallery_4095_96_114.jpg

The last night in Namibia was in Keetmanshoop at quiver tree lodge. This is the place where you see the quiver tree forest and giants playground. It was quite comical watching all the visitors running round franticly taking the sunset pictures. It was sometimes difficult to get a picture without someone else in it.

gallery_4095_96_11981.jpg

gallery_4095_96_34699.jpg

gallery_4095_96_42575.jpg

gallery_4095_96_14861.jpg

Giants playground

gallery_4095_96_52619.jpg

Quiver tree lodge had a few other things to entertain us.

gallery_4095_96_102206.jpg

some cheetah

gallery_4095_96_3374.jpg

Jenny was getting a little too close!!!

gallery_4095_96_24741.jpg

to this very big pig.

gallery_4095_96_69516.jpg

Nice cheetah. What was the story with the warthog? Was it being friendly, inquisitive? Those are some big tusks? Yikes!

Final day…

We woke early as we decided that night that we would swing round Fish River Canyon on the way back to Cape Town. We already had 1000kms to do. But we had changed our itinerary from the start and missed one night in Ais Ais.. This meant that we had a bit more dirt road driving..

One last Namibian sunrise..

gallery_4095_96_10422.jpg

gallery_4095_96_25838.jpg

I lacked photographic ability to fully harness the canyon.

gallery_4095_96_69746.jpg

Something happens when you pass from Namibia back into South Africa. Suddenly we saw green grass, and the flowers were out. It was even raining a few kilometers from the border. It was like we were in another country!!!!!!

gallery_4095_96_14679.jpg

Some info; total kilometer’s 6222 and 856 liters of diesel used.

Then Nelly had some interesting information stored.

86.38 hours driving (including some in Etosha)

Average speed 71km/h

Maximum speed 156km/h

Maximum speed on gravel road was 139km/h

Costs

Fuel R9944

Accommodation R8000

Rear windscreen R14 000

Front windscreen R5000

So guess where I will make the saving next time. :)

The windscreen was a huge surprise. The back window fits onto the hard top, and is small and flat. Insurance paid.. But I neglected to tell them where it happened.

The photographic experience was good for us, in that in so many instances I realized that many many people have taken photos of the same thing... especially the quiver trees. The one evening I was there and all the guests were clambering around the rock to find their perfect shot, often getting in the way, it forced us to try something different or break the rules a bit.

We took hundreds of pictures of the dikdiks, but for a good picture you need to get lower to the ground. I just liked the one licking his lips. They came so close to the car, I was tempted to grab one and take it home with me.. :)

Thanks for the compliments. Still a lot to learn, but when I compare with the photos in Kenya, we are improving.

I say we here as my wife and I share photos... We basically take them together, and when we criticize them, its like we criticizing our own as opposed to criticizing each other. Keeps the marriage together. ;) And we can coach each other.

One or two notes that I want to make.

One mistake we made was arranging the entire itinerary before we left. We should have just jumped in the car and driven. The whole route to up and down had rustic farm accommodation that we didn't even know about. If you just pull in and check, they will usually be able to accommodate you, especially if you going to camp.

We did need to book in to Terrace bay, as there was only one place to stay there, but the couple we met on the way, simply called the day before and managed to make a plan. By the way the staff at Terrace bay were great. Its truly like the end of the earth, but they corrected me when I said that.. I now know its the beginning of the earth.

Etosha... they say that you have to book for camping. They even told us that they were fully booked as far back as four months ago. Even if you call them and ask if they have space the answer is no, yet the camps were never full. The couple that joined us just arrived and said... here we are what can you do for us, despite being told that they were full. I met a few other travelers who did the same thing.

Lake Otjikoto is an interesting place to stop. Its just outside Tsumeb. No one knows how deep it is, as many people have died trying to find the bottom. There is s story that the Germans threw masses of arms and ammunition in there, and even some money!!!!

Do you know what "Gluck Auf" means Nyama?

Up until now if someone had addressed me with "Gluck Auf" they might have received the one finger salute in return. But now I know it is just a happy miner greeting. This could save me from an embarrassing international incident. Thank you, Nyama.

Dik dik, I still want to know about the close encounter with the warthog.

Nyama is right... But I also thought the same as atravelynn

gallery_4095_96_13475.jpg

They had two tame warthog at Quiver tree lodge, Keetmanshoop. They were a bit pushy, but then so were we. I never knew a warthog could get so fat. The smaller one got a little jealous and a little frisky.

gallery_4095_96_2913.jpg

Cool about the warthogs. I'll have to start signing off on the other forum with Gluck Auf.

I'll have to start signing off on the other forum with Gluck Auf.
You should use the correct spelling then... Glück auf.

(In Windows "ü" is ALT 129 on US keyboards. Press ALT and then 1, 2, 9. NumLock must be on.)

• 3 weeks later...

Dik Dik,

Many thanks for your photo's and account. A return to Namibia has been simmering away and your report has bought the idea to the boil - but how to fit it in?

Did you use T4A on your journey or plain vanilla Nelly?