Penguins to Puku

Atravelynn

Thankyou for a cracking report, with such a flowing writing style and the time you put into editing the photos. Really nice work.

Beautiful report Lynn. I really enjoyed the read and the pictures! :o

Rod praised your original report for all the details... so what can I say more? As always, it's a pleasure to read your writings.

Nice to hear that you also enjoyed Edmund's classic cassette.

I saw the refurbished Kakuli from the distance and met Aubrey at Tena Tena. His comment: "It's no longer the old camp anymore..." Too sad...

I saw the refurbished Kakuli from the distance and met Aubrey at Tena Tena. His comment: "It's no longer the old camp anymore..." Too sad...

That's why I could not get the "Squirrel Tent" and I think there were some people who that I was nuts (no pun intended) when I requested it per your suggestion.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Guest John Milbank

You should've been a writer...but perhaps you are :o

There are not many whose trip reports I enjoy. I don't even like mine, because I don't enjoy doing them (I'm written out, I think that's the term).

That's why I could not get the "Squirrel Tent"...

"Squirrel Tent" was the famous tent that was built directly into the river ridge, like a hippo hide. Certainly the best view that an accommodation at the Luangwa ever had. Maybe I should start publishing a photo series "Classic camps of the golden safari age" to celebrate these old places...

Oops! While writing this a strange looking insect landed next to my computer. Obviously this bug had hidden in my safari bag at Nsefu Camp and is now exploring its new environment. What a souvenir!

• 1 month later...

Well written Lynn.. I felt like I was with you. Thanks for sharing.

So many shark excursions!!! In the miserable season in Cape Town. But then the results speak for themselves. You must have been fortunate with the weather.

Cooksons wildebeest??? I have seen them in a book, but for the life of me cant figure out the difference. I also dont understand how they dont hybridize with other sub-species that they come into contact with.

I love the Kudu. He is a beaut.

I lived in Simonstown for a few months, and took the penguins for granted, and had a healthy dislike for the baboons. Dassies used to frolic in our back garden and sea otters were a common sight in the kelp in front of the house.

Hmmmm! Simonstown, False Bay Rugby Club, Newlands!.........Memories! Sweet Memories! Lion Beer! Girls with bulging bikinis where they had been bitten by the Tsetse fly! :)

Learning to surf! :angry: Huh!....Kids in nappies catching waves & we never ever managed to stand! Bummer!

Can't remember penguins but then I was not long back from working in the Antarctic for two years.

Hmmmm! Simonstown, .Memories! Sweet Memories! Girls with bulging bikinis where they had been bitten by the Tsetse fly! :)

So all I've needed all these years are are some tse tse fly bites? Now you tell me. With my luck they'd bite the wrong end and give me more bulges I don't need.

Two years in Antarctica? Now that's an accomplishment, Nappa!

Good point on the Cookson's Dik dik. Wonder why they don't interbreed. The Cookson's have more of a dun color to them from what I can tell. Maybe a little bigger.

What a fairy tale to have dassies frolic in your garden.

• 1 year later...
THE WINE LIST—SOUTH AFRICA, JULY 2008

Goats Do Roam

That’s it. My one wine. And that’s what it’s called. The only wine on my list and it turns out to be goat wine. How embarrassing. It’s not like I’ve listed all sorts of impressive names such as Chardonnay, Shiraz, Cabernet, and Sauvignon and the Goats can Roam discretely in the midst of the these. No, with a single entry, the goats can roam but they can’t hide.

I did not ask what year it was, so I don’t know just when these goats were roaming, nor do I know exactly in which vineyard they chose to roam.

I googled the wine, hoping for some redeeming qualities. I found that it “woos adventurous and discerning consumers.” I may not be all that discerning, but I’m a tad adventurous and it’s nice to know that I was being wooed by my beverage while savoring my asparagus. With increasing enthusiasm, I read it has “full bodied distinct dark fruit and spice.” I vividly recalled some full bodied dark fruit taste during that meal. But then I wasn’t sure if it was the wine or the raisins in my Moroccan Couscous.

Now introducing Goatfather!!!

gallery_6213_246_30617.jpg

How did this wonderful epilogue sneak by me? Maybe because Danger Bear is Stealthy by nature.

"There's a bear that leads a life of danger..."

Secret.....agent bear, secret....agent bear.