Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Creating your gallery album and uploading images

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,507 posts
  • Local time: 07:00 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

If you have not already opened your own image gallery with Safaritalk here is how you do it:

Click on "My Controls" - in the contents bar on the left under Invision Gallery click on "Your Albums". Click on "Create Gallery" complete the fields and once more click "Create Gallery". From this point on you can begin uploading images.

The maximum image size displayed in the gallery is 800 pixels x 600 pixels - therefore if you submit an image which has larger dimensions it will resized to this smaller maximum display size. But even though it will be resized the actual size of the file will still be that of the larger image. So it is advised to use an image editing program such as Photoshop to resize your image size before uploading. When saving the image within your editing program save as a JPEG file with a resolution of approximately 80% (ie 20% compression) which will vastly reduce the space needed to store it on the Safaritalk servers yet still display an image which suffers very little resolution loss. An easy equation is this:

The smaller the image file size = the more images that can be hosted.

It must be remembered the Safaritalk is not a commercial photo site and you cannot order prints to be made from your gallery albums, rather it is a way of sharing your Africa and safari photos with other registered members so therefore it is not vital to host full sized JPEG images with huge file sizes.

An example is this:

Posted Image

The image properties are as follows:

Width: 640px
Height: 480px
File size: 16.06kB

Saved at 80% resolution (20% compression).

My albums comprise of 98 images yet take up only 6.04 MB of disk space. If everyone follows these guidelines more or less we will be able to host more photographs on Safaritalk without having to place a limit for each user.

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 Shivaram1970

Shivaram1970

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 11:30 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hi
I have just registered want to know if the postings in the photographs section limited to images from africa?
Thanks in advance
Shivaram

#3 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,507 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Well, there are seperate subforums for India and World Wildlife in which you can post images from around the world.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#4 graceland

graceland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Local time: 02:00 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Can I upload my photos from Iphoto on Mac, or do I have to send them to Picasa or similar? Before i begin my TR I am trying to figure the picture upload for idiots ....please help.
thanks
Gracie!

#5 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 7,453 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

I'll send you an email, you can upload directly from your computer, no need for Picasa.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#6 graceland

graceland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Local time: 02:00 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

Yay! Thanks; I read the instructions and could not figure out where the URL was on Iphoto.....duh, so asked Mr. and he did not know either so at least I know a graduate degree does not guarantee ST success. :)

#7 graynomad

graynomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Local time: 04:00 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Is this still valid? It seems like you now do

Click on your forum name at the top left of the screen
Click "My settings"
Click "Gallery" in the menu bar under the "My Settings" heading.
Click "Create a new album"
Click "New album"
Fill in details etc etc
GRAYnomad, aka Rob Gray, nature photographer and electronics nerd. http://www.robgray.com "Scattered showers my arse" -- Noah, 2348BC.

#8 Bwana Foster

Bwana Foster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 06:00 AM
  • Category 2:Lodge Owner/Manager

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

If you have not already opened your own image gallery with Safaritalk here is how you do it:

Click on "My Controls" - in the contents bar on the left under Invision Gallery click on "Your Albums". Click on "Create Gallery" complete the fields and once more click "Create Gallery". From this point on you can begin uploading images.

The maximum image size displayed in the gallery is 800 pixels x 600 pixels - therefore if you submit an image which has larger dimensions it will resized to this smaller maximum display size. But even though it will be resized the actual size of the file will still be that of the larger image. So it is advised to use an image editing program such as Photoshop to resize your image size before uploading. When saving the image within your editing program save as a JPEG file with a resolution of approximately 80% (ie 20% compression) which will vastly reduce the space needed to store it on the Safaritalk servers yet still display an image which suffers very little resolution loss. An easy equation is this:

The smaller the image file size = the more images that can be hosted.

It must be remembered the Safaritalk is not a commercial photo site and you cannot order prints to be made from your gallery albums, rather it is a way of sharing your Africa and safari photos with other registered members so therefore it is not vital to host full sized JPEG images with huge file sizes.

An example is this:

gallery_1_2_52861.jpg

The image properties are as follows:

Width: 640px
Height: 480px
File size: 16.06kB

Saved at 80% resolution (20% compression).

My albums comprise of 98 images yet take up only 6.04 MB of disk space. If everyone follows these guidelines more or less we will be able to host more photographs on Safaritalk without having to place a limit for each user.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I have just dropped a link to a couple of videos that I put up on You Tube on the bottom of a coulple of my quotes-do these take up too much space or is it just a link sized file? They seem to play ok on the page without going to YouTube-am I right thinking they are just streaming so dont take up too much of your server space or is there a better way of doing it? I don't wnat to start off on the wrong foot. Thanks for a great web site!

#9 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 13,507 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

It's fine: do feel free to embed your youtube/vimeo videos in this subfoum here or directly into trip reports etc. Cheers, Matt.

© 2006 - 2014 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.
Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.