See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Any vegans or vegetarians here?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts
  • Local time: 01:49 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:56 AM

@Nyamera the places where I have gone have good green salads and lots of vegetable dishes. the brunch at Lewa safari camp is great, they have a vegetarian and another pasta sauce , and lots of fruit and vegetables. Nthambo makes a main diiner veg course as well as having lots of vegetables. When I got to Tangala they wask you about dietary needs when you checkin, I said I was not keen on meat and they told me that they had a vegetarian menu.

There was nothing like just rice and beans.

As for being a carnivour , Prof appears to be a solo operator in the medical community. A news report does not have the solid base of scientific medical publishing.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#42 gagan

gagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 08:19 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

I am a vegetarian ...sometimes eggetarian too..surviving in big cities of east africa is not a challenge due to the presence of large indian communities. .as far as safari is concerned ...everything depends on your guide ot cook plus availability of material s..my cook prepared pan cakes, rice ,spaghetti, veg soups...bread butter, beans +cabbage and green leaves cooked in oil etc

If no option available I turned to fruits and their juices only..

#43 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

I am a lacto-o-vegetarian  and i have had no problem in most of  my trips. 

Lives of great men all remind us
   We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
   Footprints on the sands of time.

#44 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

I am a lacto-o-vegetarian  and i have had no problem in most of  my trips. 

My wife is also a vegetarian and doesn't eat eggs too. We just make sure we tell our travel agent about our dietary preferences and make sure that it is confirmed. I used to have a lot of problem in China where i often used to go for work. Except a few of the major cities ( in early 90's) you wouldn't find a vegetarian restaurant, except possibly those that cater to buddhists. In Beijing there used to be ( in the early 90's) only one indian restaurant. However the chef at the crowne plaza used to make some vegetarian dishes for me.

Nowadays, vegetarianism has become quite common and accepted and most places serve vegetarian food. It may not be to one's taste, but it is vegetarian!

• Tom Kellie likes this

#45 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

I used to have a lot of problem in China where i often used to go for work. Except a few of the major cities ( in early 90's) you wouldn't find a vegetarian restaurant, except possibly those that cater to buddhists. In Beijing there used to be ( in the early 90's) only one indian restaurant. However the chef at the crowne plaza used to make some vegetarian dishes for me. Nowadays, vegetarianism has become quite common and accepted and most places serve vegetarian food. It may not be to one's taste, but it is vegetarian!

~ @Earthian:

I laughed out loud when I read your comment about food here.

It's definitely true.

I cook for myself, seldom ever eating in a restaurant. Doing so ensures a more vegetable-based diet.

Thanks for such a realistic, true-to-life comment.

Tom K.

#46 Earthian

Earthian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

@Tom Kellie

I have been to China 52 times from 1991 till 1996 and my standard opening lines at any restaurant were:

Ro meyo, Chitan meyo, Haishiyan meyo and used to ask for Hung lajjo to spice up the rice.  :D

• Tom Kellie likes this

#47 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:13 AM

@Tom Kellie

I have been to China 52 times from 1991 till 1996 and my standard opening lines at any restaurant were:

Ro meyo, Chitan meyo, Haishiyan meyo and used to ask for Hung lajjo to spice up the rice.  :D

~ @Earthian:

You're making me laugh out loud!

Your standard opening lines are as needed today as two decades ago.

I know why it was necessary to say that and feel likewise.

Very funny!

Tom K.

• Earthian likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.