See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Any vegans or vegetarians here?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 03:19 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

I eat processed vegetables... What is the name for that??... Carnivore.

I hope that does not include game meat of dwarf antelope origin?

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#22 africapurohit

africapurohit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

My wife has very strict dietary requirements - strict vegetarian with no eggs or animal fats. On top of this she does not eat onions or garlic (for religious reasons).

But we've never had a problem on safari - the food has always been amazing and puts most top restaurants to shame when they are faced with the same restrictions in ingredients.
  • Sangeeta likes this

#23 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,948 posts
  • Local time: 12:19 AM

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

I eat processed vegetables... What is the name for that??... Carnivore.

Even almost 5 years later, that's rather funny.  Who says vegetarians don't have a sense of humor?  Maybe the couple of Canadian Bacon slices I had from lunch box on the last safari have aided that sense of humor. 

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#24 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,459 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

I cook a mean and very hot vegetarian Firehouse Chili. So if anyone is passing the HQ and doesn't eat meat, I know what to rustle up. Just bring wine...

• SafariChick likes this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#25 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I would tell places well in advance that you are vegan to get enough for brunch you will need more grain, fruit, perhaps some cooked vegetables, since the yoghurt is out.

BTW since I have had to take vitamin D pills I have largely eliminated diary products on cost grounds, the pills also includes calcium.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#26 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

I eat nearly all fresh food, very little processed food .  People in the progressive church I go to assumed that I was 15 yiunger than Ireally am. 

#27 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,571 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

You'll do well in Gujarat, in India. Lots of veg dishes there. :)
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#28 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,154 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

Funny you say that - I just got home from Ahmedabad where i was for work ....... yes, lots of veg food; too heavy for me though ....... Can't deal with the oil and ghee (clarified butter).

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#29 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

I have for many years been  really not that keen on meat .  I have eaten  even less of it  in more recent years on environmental and health reasons, looking at the price per KG unit i  am also saving a lot of money.

#30 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,624 posts
  • Local time: 10:19 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. I did start eating sushi again in the past few years though - but only once a month if that. I still eat dairy products but like some of you, I try to limit them. I almost never drink cow's milk any more, I use almond or soy milk in coffee or cereal. Cheese is hard to cut out though, I agree with @madaboutcheetah For a couple of months I did go vegan and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though.

I had no trouble at all in Africa on my two trips - just told my agent in advance and I was well taken care of. I usually wasn't the only vegetarian there either.

#31 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

Funny you say that - I just got home from Ahmedabad where i was for work ....... yes, lots of veg food; too heavy for me though ....... Can't deal with the oil and ghee (clarified butter).

I bet it was getting really hot up there! I tried going veggie, it lasted all of two weeks!
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#32 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,154 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. I did start eating sushi again in the past few years though - but only once a month if that. I still eat dairy products but like some of you, I try to limit them. I almost never drink cow's milk any more, I use almond or soy milk in coffee or cereal. Cheese is hard to cut out though, I agree with @madaboutcheetah For a couple of months I did go vegan and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though.

I had no trouble at all in Africa on my two trips - just told my agent in advance and I was well taken care of. I usually wasn't the only vegetarian there either.

In Bots, the chefs in the camps tend to use a lot of heavy stocks and stuff ...... even if they are advised not to - simply because they think it's better and that's the way they are used to.  I had a chat once with one of the folks from Maun office who was at camp to ensure everything was in order.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#33 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

When I moved out of home I largely eliminated meat on health grounds and eliminated all salt on health grounds.

environmental grounds back up the decision on meat.

I do miss cheese but can get by without the cost.

I have a whole lot of dried beans, and eat every day so dry couscous straight out of the pack to contol the effect of a high fiber diet.

I can understand anyone in the USA elimination meat to avoid the high fat effect of grain fed animals, who are also given a whole lot of human antibiotics and veterinary hormones.

#34 Sharifa

Sharifa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Local time: 07:19 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Predator, I’ll try to stay away from SA.

Nyamera please don't  :)  You will be pleasantly surprised to see the wide range of vegetarian options and fruit we have in all our stores all around the country. Many of the fruit farms are situated around the Kruger Park. So in summer you can get lovely fresh fruit on the drive to the Park. Most restuarants and lodges too will cater for your needs.

If you are self catering then you can always buy fresh veggies and all other veggie options at the closest town to the game reserve. Just pop them onto the braai, seasoned and wrapped in foil B)

#35 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

I find that brown rice has a whole lot more taste than white.

I have largely eliminated chocolate on cost and environmental grounds.

Garlic ?  I  eat it raw directly from the jar to treat a cold.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 20 April 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#36 Nyamera

Nyamera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Thanks, @Sharifa. My comment is 5 years old and from another lifetime, but I’m still a vegetarian. My worry was about being thrown on the braai, btw.

I will always find something to eat and nowadays I only travel to a place where I can get rice and beans varied with beans and rice.   

Siku ya kufa nyani miti yote huteleza.

READ THIS PLEASE

#37 BigBaldIan

BigBaldIan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

I cook a mean and very hot vegetarian Firehouse Chili. So if anyone is passing the HQ and doesn't eat meat, I know what to rustle up. Just bring wine...

As much as I love Chili, I can only imagine a vege version (extra beans to replace the meat) would result in this the day after:

157.jpg

I'm rather fond of wild mushroom lasagne and cannelloni, unfortunately SWMBO hates funghi with the passion of a thousand burning desert suns which puts a crimp on any vege dishes that I'm partial to. :P

Edited by BigBaldIan, 07 May 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#38 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,503 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Recent studies don on wild animals has shown alarming results. 

The results show that a diet of vegetables can leave you grumpy, bloated, over weight and prone to extreme flatulence, yet subjects eating meat only have shown incredible strength agility and are in great health. 

Subject 1 - exclusive vegetarian diet since birth. 

gallery_4095_820_32982.jpg

Subject 2 shows the results of an exclusive meat only diet. 

gallery_4095_820_30988.jpg

Results appear conclusive and show the importance of eating protein to keep healthy. If there is any doubt you can refer to Dr Tim Noakes new theory. 

http://www.health24....drates-20120721

• JohnR, africawild, Anita and 1 other like this

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#39 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Aren't dikdiks vegetarians then?

• Bugs likes this
What pays stays.

#40 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

dikdik 

Returning to my previous question  you eat processed vegetagles ---- meat , I trust that does not include  dwarf antelopes?

I am largely vegetarian  eating largely vegetables,fruit ,whole grains add a bit of tinned salmon, very little red or white meat  and do not have anyone of those problems.  I am under 70 kg in weight and  around 190 cm tall.

In my observation a lot of people get into a eating habit and have problems changing.  My parents  were both GP doctors and contined to use salt and white bread.  Need fiber ----- use one of those supplements.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.