See all Safaritalk Special Offers

bigcat

Any vegans or vegetarians here?

47 posts in this topic

I eat nearly all fresh food, very little processed food . People in the progressive church I go to assumed that I was 15 yiunger than Ireally am.

You'll do well in Gujarat, in India. Lots of veg dishes there. :)

Funny you say that - I just got home from Ahmedabad where i was for work ....... yes, lots of veg food; too heavy for me though ....... Can't deal with the oil and ghee (clarified butter).

I have for many years been really not that keen on meat . I have eaten even less of it in more recent years on environmental and health reasons, looking at the price per KG unit i am also saving a lot of money.

I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. I did start eating sushi again in the past few years though - but only once a month if that. I still eat dairy products but like some of you, I try to limit them. I almost never drink cow's milk any more, I use almond or soy milk in coffee or cereal. Cheese is hard to cut out though, I agree with @@madaboutcheetah For a couple of months I did go vegan and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though.

I had no trouble at all in Africa on my two trips - just told my agent in advance and I was well taken care of. I usually wasn't the only vegetarian there either.

Funny you say that - I just got home from Ahmedabad where i was for work ....... yes, lots of veg food; too heavy for me though ....... Can't deal with the oil and ghee (clarified butter).

I bet it was getting really hot up there! I tried going veggie, it lasted all of two weeks!

I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. I did start eating sushi again in the past few years though - but only once a month if that. I still eat dairy products but like some of you, I try to limit them. I almost never drink cow's milk any more, I use almond or soy milk in coffee or cereal. Cheese is hard to cut out though, I agree with @@madaboutcheetah For a couple of months I did go vegan and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though.

I had no trouble at all in Africa on my two trips - just told my agent in advance and I was well taken care of. I usually wasn't the only vegetarian there either.

In Bots, the chefs in the camps tend to use a lot of heavy stocks and stuff ...... even if they are advised not to - simply because they think it's better and that's the way they are used to. I had a chat once with one of the folks from Maun office who was at camp to ensure everything was in order.

When I moved out of home I largely eliminated meat on health grounds and eliminated all salt on health grounds.

environmental grounds back up the decision on meat.

I do miss cheese but can get by without the cost.

I have a whole lot of dried beans, and eat every day so dry couscous straight out of the pack to contol the effect of a high fiber diet.

I can understand anyone in the USA elimination meat to avoid the high fat effect of grain fed animals, who are also given a whole lot of human antibiotics and veterinary hormones.

Predator, I’ll try to stay away from SA.

Nyamera please don't :) You will be pleasantly surprised to see the wide range of vegetarian options and fruit we have in all our stores all around the country. Many of the fruit farms are situated around the Kruger Park. So in summer you can get lovely fresh fruit on the drive to the Park. Most restuarants and lodges too will cater for your needs.

If you are self catering then you can always buy fresh veggies and all other veggie options at the closest town to the game reserve. Just pop them onto the braai, seasoned and wrapped in foil B)

Posted (edited)

I find that brown rice has a whole lot more taste than white.

I have largely eliminated chocolate on cost and environmental grounds.

Garlic ? I eat it raw directly from the jar to treat a cold.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Thanks, @@Sharifa. My comment is 5 years old and from another lifetime, but I’m still a vegetarian. My worry was about being thrown on the braai, btw.

I will always find something to eat and nowadays I only travel to a place where I can get rice and beans varied with beans and rice.

Posted (edited)

I cook a mean and very hot vegetarian Firehouse Chili. So if anyone is passing the HQ and doesn't eat meat, I know what to rustle up. Just bring wine...

As much as I love Chili, I can only imagine a vege version (extra beans to replace the meat) would result in this the day after:

157.jpg

I'm rather fond of wild mushroom lasagne and cannelloni, unfortunately SWMBO hates funghi with the passion of a thousand burning desert suns which puts a crimp on any vege dishes that I'm partial to. :P

Edited by BigBaldIan

Recent studies don on wild animals has shown alarming results.

The results show that a diet of vegetables can leave you grumpy, bloated, over weight and prone to extreme flatulence, yet subjects eating meat only have shown incredible strength agility and are in great health.

Subject 1 - exclusive vegetarian diet since birth.

gallery_4095_820_32982.jpg

Subject 2 shows the results of an exclusive meat only diet.

gallery_4095_820_30988.jpg

Results appear conclusive and show the importance of eating protein to keep healthy. If there is any doubt you can refer to Dr Tim Noakes new theory.

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Nutrition-basics/Tim-Noakes-on-carbohydrates-20120721

4 people like this

Aren't dikdiks vegetarians then?

1 person likes this

dikdik

Returning to my previous question you eat processed vegetagles ---- meat , I trust that does not include dwarf antelopes?

I am largely vegetarian eating largely vegetables,fruit ,whole grains add a bit of tinned salmon, very little red or white meat and do not have anyone of those problems. I am under 70 kg in weight and around 190 cm tall.

In my observation a lot of people get into a eating habit and have problems changing. My parents were both GP doctors and contined to use salt and white bread. Need fiber ----- use one of those supplements.

@@Nyamera the places where I have gone have good green salads and lots of vegetable dishes. the brunch at Lewa safari camp is great, they have a vegetarian and another pasta sauce , and lots of fruit and vegetables. Nthambo makes a main diiner veg course as well as having lots of vegetables. When I got to Tangala they wask you about dietary needs when you checkin, I said I was not keen on meat and they told me that they had a vegetarian menu.

There was nothing like just rice and beans.

As for being a carnivour , Prof appears to be a solo operator in the medical community. A news report does not have the solid base of scientific medical publishing.

I am a vegetarian ...sometimes eggetarian too..surviving in big cities of east africa is not a challenge due to the presence of large indian communities. .as far as safari is concerned ...everything depends on your guide ot cook plus availability of material s..my cook prepared pan cakes, rice ,spaghetti, veg soups...bread butter, beans +cabbage and green leaves cooked in oil etc

If no option available I turned to fruits and their juices only..

I am a lacto-o-vegetarian and i have had no problem in most of my trips.

I am a lacto-o-vegetarian and i have had no problem in most of my trips.

My wife is also a vegetarian and doesn't eat eggs too. We just make sure we tell our travel agent about our dietary preferences and make sure that it is confirmed. I used to have a lot of problem in China where i often used to go for work. Except a few of the major cities ( in early 90's) you wouldn't find a vegetarian restaurant, except possibly those that cater to buddhists. In Beijing there used to be ( in the early 90's) only one indian restaurant. However the chef at the crowne plaza used to make some vegetarian dishes for me.

Nowadays, vegetarianism has become quite common and accepted and most places serve vegetarian food. It may not be to one's taste, but it is vegetarian!

1 person likes this

I used to have a lot of problem in China where i often used to go for work. Except a few of the major cities ( in early 90's) you wouldn't find a vegetarian restaurant, except possibly those that cater to buddhists. In Beijing there used to be ( in the early 90's) only one indian restaurant. However the chef at the crowne plaza used to make some vegetarian dishes for me. Nowadays, vegetarianism has become quite common and accepted and most places serve vegetarian food. It may not be to one's taste, but it is vegetarian!

~ @Earthian:

I laughed out loud when I read your comment about food here.

It's definitely true.

I cook for myself, seldom ever eating in a restaurant. Doing so ensures a more vegetable-based diet.

Thanks for such a realistic, true-to-life comment.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

I have been to China 52 times from 1991 till 1996 and my standard opening lines at any restaurant were:

Ro meyo, Chitan meyo, Haishiyan meyo and used to ask for Hung lajjo to spice up the rice. :D

1 person likes this

@@Tom Kellie

I have been to China 52 times from 1991 till 1996 and my standard opening lines at any restaurant were:

Ro meyo, Chitan meyo, Haishiyan meyo and used to ask for Hung lajjo to spice up the rice. :D

~ @Earthian:

You're making me laugh out loud!

Your standard opening lines are as needed today as two decades ago.

I know why it was necessary to say that and feel likewise.

Very funny!

Tom K.

1 person likes this