See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Any vegans or vegetarians here?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 bigcat

bigcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:11 AM

Is anyone here a vegan or vegetarian?

I am vegetarian and transitioning to vegan. It's not easy cutting all animal products from the diet, it is (disgustingly) amazing just how many foods contain some form of animal byproduct.

How would a vegan fair in Africa? Would there be plenty of nutritional food options? This is particularly important on stays of weeks and months where protein and other deficiencies could set in if adequate food is not eaten.

#2 Nyamera

Nyamera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Local time: 10:03 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Bigcat,
Iím a vegetarian and feel like youíre calling me, but I donít know anything (almost) about nutrition. As I eat dairy products and eggs, I never thought that much about it. I just eat anything thatís not meat or fish. Only this year have I started trying not to eat too much, as Iím getting fat. Before Iíve thought that I didnít have to think about how much I was eating because I would ďsoonĒ change into a very physically active lifestyle.

If youíre going to become a vegan, I suppose youíve studied what you need to eat. If you have what on Fruitcake is called $$$, youíll always be able to buy pulses and things like that in Africa. Nutritional problems exist because of lack of $$$.
Siku ya kufa nyani miti yote huteleza.

READ THIS PLEASE

#3 Nyamera

Nyamera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

Where in Africa will you be? (this is what I should have asked instead of telling you how fat I am)

READ THIS PLEASE

#4 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,017 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

If on safari - you should have no problem. I have some family members who are vegetarian and have no issues when on safari ......

But on lodge and camp safaris - they serve too much sugar and assorted junk - cookies, breads, etc etc., ofcourse, you can opt for the fresh fruit and salads and ask for more vegetables ............ ;) Btw, those quiches are the worst thing that is served at every place as a standard safari food ........ I specifically ask them not to bother to waste time to bake and pack it in my picnic box when i go out on longer drives.

If you are going to live in Africa - in big cities and towns it should not be problem, especially if in South Africa etc etc., I would imagine .......

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#5 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

Interesting. I'd never heard about veganism before.

#6 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

Bigcat, my wife was vegetarian for a long time (no mean feat in Portugal I can assure you). Our first trip together to Africa, Tanzania to climb Kili and tour the northern circuit was very budget, camping, drinking stream water etc etc, and if Lizzy didn't want what was served, then she went hungry: after a couple of days on the mountain she was eating everything served and asking no questions. Likewise on the trip to Serengeti: we stopped at one stage and the chef went off and brought back a slab of meat, from what it was I don't know...

But of course this applies only to such a trip. I'm sure the lodges etc will accomodate such dietary needs better, or if self driving as we did recently to Kruger, you can pick and choose your own ingredients from the shops or restaurants at camp.

Ask Dik dik about his vegetarian braais...

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#7 bigcat

bigcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:15 AM

Im not going anywhere in Africa yet, I was just wondering about it and also wanted to know if there were any such people here.

I started off being vegetarian but then educated myself further and learned what was obvious, that the dairy industry is just as cruel, if not crueler than the meat industry. Its all related.
Its not easy cutting out ALL animal products from your life as so many things contain it but Im trying.

#8 Guest_nappa_*

Guest_nappa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

I applaud & admire Vegans!

It is just a cop out to play the cruelty card & become vegetarian!

#9 Bugs

Bugs

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,478 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:32 PM

I eat processed vegetables... What is the name for that??... Carnivore.

Cow eats veggies and I eat the cow.. I would kill for meat.

That being said, I don't like the feedlots and abattoirs. But then its not practical that that all man suddenly becomes a vegetarian, or vegan. What would happen to all the cows and sheep then?? They would just become alien invaders and would have to be exterminated.

Any case if you eat only vegetables you still responsible for killing animals. Ever wonder why there are no wild animals wondering around a vegetable farmers land? He killed then thats why, and every little insect or bird that threatens his crops. Not to mention the damage the fertilizers and insecticides do to the life in the water system.

So in my case I prefer to eat the animal that eats the grass... it tastes better.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

#10 bigcat

bigcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:21 AM

I agree about the crops! Many forests have been lost. However that would leave well nothing to eat if we didnt eat veggies :rolleyes:
If you are prepared to kill your own meat, thats fine. I am not against eating meat from a cow per se, but the method which it occurs these days is not natural. Factory farms are far removed from the hunter gathering ways of old.
Its personal choice and Im not one to preach, just throwing out a discussion here.

#11 Nyamera

Nyamera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

There are some serious environmental reasons to reduce meat eating. Here is one article about it.

READ THIS PLEASE

#12 predator

predator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Local time: 09:03 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

Ask Dik dik about his vegetarian braais...

I have been told that an Afrikaaners idea of a vegetarian braai is to throw a couple of vegetarians on the braai, but that might have been a joke :rolleyes:

In Zambia on one of my trips one of the guests was vegetarian, and was also gluten intolerant and allergic to something else as well. The lodge depsite not having prior warning got the chef to have a chat with her and for the entire week she got her own special meals which catered for her allergies etc. Its nice when the lodges are able to cope, but vegans or vegetarians or people with food allergies etc should try and give the lodges advance warning so the lodge can cater for them.

#13 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

There are some serious environmental reasons to reduce meat eating. Here is one article about it.

I think game farming is a more environment-friendly way of producing meat.

#14 Nyamera

Nyamera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

I think game farming is a more environment-friendly way of producing meat.

Yes, but it canít feed the big numbers of meat eater with big appetites.

Iíve never had a problem as a vegetarian in Kenya. If the camp has buffet style meals, thereís always something to eat, otherwise the cook make special meals for me. Sometimes Iíve got a tomato soup when the other guests have got a perfectly vegetarian leek soup. I think that is because some Kenyans think that good service is the same as complicating things, but once when I was the only guest the manager decided that everyone Ė the part of the staff that had their meals in the dining area and a local visitor Ė should eat vegetarian and that made me a bit unpopular. At Intrepids thereís a vegetarian option on the menu. All Kenyans understand quite quickly what I donít eat, maybe because itís a multicultural place and the things I donít eat is exactly what most Kenyans prefer. The Game Warden refers to Portugal and I lived in Spain for many years. There people asked me if I could eat tomatoes and at my rare visits to restaurants I often found hacked ham in the vegetable dishes, even when Iíd asked, ďare you sure thereís no meat and no fish?Ē Kenyans are very aware that some communities avoid some food. Though the only vegetarian community in Kenya are some people originating from the Indian subcontinent. Iíd say that thereís a better choice of restaurants for vegetarians in Nairobi than in Stockholm. Even the food court at Sarit Centre has a vegetarian place. Though at one ďtypically AfricanĒ restaurant they only had chips to offer me, which would have been OK with me if there were no other restaurants.

I became a vegetarian before I knew anything about environmental problems or even the cruelty in the meat industry: I was not yet 3 years old and when I understood that animals were killed so that I could eat, I refused to eat meat, and Iíve continued refusing since then. For some years I also refused to wear leather, but now Iím using animal parts from animals that have been killed for food anyway (no mink furs or snake skin shoes) and I even deal in cow horn and bone as an alternative to blood diamonds. I buy free-range, eco-labelled eggs and milk.

Bigcat, it sounds like youíre planning a longer, self-catered stay in Africa some time in the future. At least in Kenya there are all kinds of beans that I donít even know the name of and you could fill up your backpack with those.

Predator, Iíll try to stay away from SA.

READ THIS PLEASE

#15 predator

predator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Local time: 09:03 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

Predator, Iíll try to stay away from SA.

I was kidding. While meat does seem to be a large part of the diet in southern africa, the lodges are all very good at preparing vegetarian alternatives.

What does annoy me though is when someone arrives at a lodge and only then tells them that they cant eat meat, gluten or fish (for example). Doesnt give the chef a lot of time to prepare so the guest gets a worse meal than if they'd given advanced notice so the chef could get any extra ingredients and practice recipes etc.

#16 Nyamera

Nyamera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

I was kidding. While meat does seem to be a large part of the diet in southern africa, the lodges are all very good at preparing vegetarian alternatives.

Ok, maybe Iíll go there when Iíve found a way to live in Kenya, but I really donít want to end up on the braai.

I always inform camps that Iím a vegetarian when booking, but the information is not always forwarded to the chef.

READ THIS PLEASE

#17 Guest_nyama_*

Guest_nyama_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

... but I really donít want to end up on the braai.

Hmm, Topi on the braai sounds interesting to me... ;)

#18 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I am mainly vegeterian, eat some eggs and fish , have had no problem on safari,

I avoid soy as it is mainly grown on recently cleared rainforest in Sth and Central America.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#19 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,017 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Lots of Indians are vegetarian - What I notice from observation is, their diets are very deficient in vegetables and fruits.  They eat a lot of refined carbs!!!

I agree in the comments above about diary products.  I just can't resist good cheese when I find them.  Try to stay away from most dairy though ... treats every now and then is necessary to not go insane.

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#20 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Meal preferences are not something that agents remember for long, when I booked for Kenya  I said what food I wanted  mainly vegetables, no soy , don't like meat.  The agent said noted, and thanks,  when tghey were arranging my final day there is some time betwwen your return flight to Wilson and your exit  international flight, I was asked if I wanted to go to the Carnivore.

Staying at places in Sth Africa has been no problem, when I arrived at Africa on foot they asked, did things well and passed the information onto Nthambo Camp where I was  staying next.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.