See all Safaritalk Special Offers

bigcat

Any vegans or vegetarians here?

47 posts in this topic

Is anyone here a vegan or vegetarian?

I am vegetarian and transitioning to vegan. It's not easy cutting all animal products from the diet, it is (disgustingly) amazing just how many foods contain some form of animal byproduct.

How would a vegan fair in Africa? Would there be plenty of nutritional food options? This is particularly important on stays of weeks and months where protein and other deficiencies could set in if adequate food is not eaten.

Bigcat,

I’m a vegetarian and feel like you’re calling me, but I don’t know anything (almost) about nutrition. As I eat dairy products and eggs, I never thought that much about it. I just eat anything that’s not meat or fish. Only this year have I started trying not to eat too much, as I’m getting fat. Before I’ve thought that I didn’t have to think about how much I was eating because I would “soon” change into a very physically active lifestyle.

If you’re going to become a vegan, I suppose you’ve studied what you need to eat. If you have what on Fruitcake is called $$$, you’ll always be able to buy pulses and things like that in Africa. Nutritional problems exist because of lack of $$$.

Where in Africa will you be? (this is what I should have asked instead of telling you how fat I am)

If on safari - you should have no problem. I have some family members who are vegetarian and have no issues when on safari ......

But on lodge and camp safaris - they serve too much sugar and assorted junk - cookies, breads, etc etc., ofcourse, you can opt for the fresh fruit and salads and ask for more vegetables ............ ;) Btw, those quiches are the worst thing that is served at every place as a standard safari food ........ I specifically ask them not to bother to waste time to bake and pack it in my picnic box when i go out on longer drives.

If you are going to live in Africa - in big cities and towns it should not be problem, especially if in South Africa etc etc., I would imagine .......

Interesting. I'd never heard about veganism before.

Bigcat, my wife was vegetarian for a long time (no mean feat in Portugal I can assure you). Our first trip together to Africa, Tanzania to climb Kili and tour the northern circuit was very budget, camping, drinking stream water etc etc, and if Lizzy didn't want what was served, then she went hungry: after a couple of days on the mountain she was eating everything served and asking no questions. Likewise on the trip to Serengeti: we stopped at one stage and the chef went off and brought back a slab of meat, from what it was I don't know...

But of course this applies only to such a trip. I'm sure the lodges etc will accomodate such dietary needs better, or if self driving as we did recently to Kruger, you can pick and choose your own ingredients from the shops or restaurants at camp.

Ask Dik dik about his vegetarian braais...

Matt

Im not going anywhere in Africa yet, I was just wondering about it and also wanted to know if there were any such people here.

I started off being vegetarian but then educated myself further and learned what was obvious, that the dairy industry is just as cruel, if not crueler than the meat industry. Its all related.

Its not easy cutting out ALL animal products from your life as so many things contain it but Im trying.

I applaud & admire Vegans!

It is just a cop out to play the cruelty card & become vegetarian!

I eat processed vegetables... What is the name for that??... Carnivore.

Cow eats veggies and I eat the cow.. I would kill for meat.

That being said, I don't like the feedlots and abattoirs. But then its not practical that that all man suddenly becomes a vegetarian, or vegan. What would happen to all the cows and sheep then?? They would just become alien invaders and would have to be exterminated.

Any case if you eat only vegetables you still responsible for killing animals. Ever wonder why there are no wild animals wondering around a vegetable farmers land? He killed then thats why, and every little insect or bird that threatens his crops. Not to mention the damage the fertilizers and insecticides do to the life in the water system.

So in my case I prefer to eat the animal that eats the grass... it tastes better.

I agree about the crops! Many forests have been lost. However that would leave well nothing to eat if we didnt eat veggies :rolleyes:

If you are prepared to kill your own meat, thats fine. I am not against eating meat from a cow per se, but the method which it occurs these days is not natural. Factory farms are far removed from the hunter gathering ways of old.

Its personal choice and Im not one to preach, just throwing out a discussion here.

There are some serious environmental reasons to reduce meat eating. Here is one article about it.

Ask Dik dik about his vegetarian braais...

I have been told that an Afrikaaners idea of a vegetarian braai is to throw a couple of vegetarians on the braai, but that might have been a joke :rolleyes:

In Zambia on one of my trips one of the guests was vegetarian, and was also gluten intolerant and allergic to something else as well. The lodge depsite not having prior warning got the chef to have a chat with her and for the entire week she got her own special meals which catered for her allergies etc. Its nice when the lodges are able to cope, but vegans or vegetarians or people with food allergies etc should try and give the lodges advance warning so the lodge can cater for them.

There are some serious environmental reasons to reduce meat eating. Here is one article about it.

I think game farming is a more environment-friendly way of producing meat.

I think game farming is a more environment-friendly way of producing meat.

Yes, but it can’t feed the big numbers of meat eater with big appetites.

I’ve never had a problem as a vegetarian in Kenya. If the camp has buffet style meals, there’s always something to eat, otherwise the cook make special meals for me. Sometimes I’ve got a tomato soup when the other guests have got a perfectly vegetarian leek soup. I think that is because some Kenyans think that good service is the same as complicating things, but once when I was the only guest the manager decided that everyone – the part of the staff that had their meals in the dining area and a local visitor – should eat vegetarian and that made me a bit unpopular. At Intrepids there’s a vegetarian option on the menu. All Kenyans understand quite quickly what I don’t eat, maybe because it’s a multicultural place and the things I don’t eat is exactly what most Kenyans prefer. The Game Warden refers to Portugal and I lived in Spain for many years. There people asked me if I could eat tomatoes and at my rare visits to restaurants I often found hacked ham in the vegetable dishes, even when I’d asked, “are you sure there’s no meat and no fish?” Kenyans are very aware that some communities avoid some food. Though the only vegetarian community in Kenya are some people originating from the Indian subcontinent. I’d say that there’s a better choice of restaurants for vegetarians in Nairobi than in Stockholm. Even the food court at Sarit Centre has a vegetarian place. Though at one “typically African” restaurant they only had chips to offer me, which would have been OK with me if there were no other restaurants.

I became a vegetarian before I knew anything about environmental problems or even the cruelty in the meat industry: I was not yet 3 years old and when I understood that animals were killed so that I could eat, I refused to eat meat, and I’ve continued refusing since then. For some years I also refused to wear leather, but now I’m using animal parts from animals that have been killed for food anyway (no mink furs or snake skin shoes) and I even deal in cow horn and bone as an alternative to blood diamonds. I buy free-range, eco-labelled eggs and milk.

Bigcat, it sounds like you’re planning a longer, self-catered stay in Africa some time in the future. At least in Kenya there are all kinds of beans that I don’t even know the name of and you could fill up your backpack with those.

Predator, I’ll try to stay away from SA.

Predator, I’ll try to stay away from SA.

I was kidding. While meat does seem to be a large part of the diet in southern africa, the lodges are all very good at preparing vegetarian alternatives.

What does annoy me though is when someone arrives at a lodge and only then tells them that they cant eat meat, gluten or fish (for example). Doesnt give the chef a lot of time to prepare so the guest gets a worse meal than if they'd given advanced notice so the chef could get any extra ingredients and practice recipes etc.

I was kidding. While meat does seem to be a large part of the diet in southern africa, the lodges are all very good at preparing vegetarian alternatives.

Ok, maybe I’ll go there when I’ve found a way to live in Kenya, but I really don’t want to end up on the braai.

I always inform camps that I’m a vegetarian when booking, but the information is not always forwarded to the chef.

... but I really don’t want to end up on the braai.

Hmm, Topi on the braai sounds interesting to me... ;)

I am mainly vegeterian, eat some eggs and fish , have had no problem on safari,

I avoid soy as it is mainly grown on recently cleared rainforest in Sth and Central America.

Lots of Indians are vegetarian - What I notice from observation is, their diets are very deficient in vegetables and fruits. They eat a lot of refined carbs!!!

I agree in the comments above about diary products. I just can't resist good cheese when I find them. Try to stay away from most dairy though ... treats every now and then is necessary to not go insane.

Meal preferences are not something that agents remember for long, when I booked for Kenya I said what food I wanted mainly vegetables, no soy , don't like meat. The agent said noted, and thanks, when tghey were arranging my final day there is some time betwwen your return flight to Wilson and your exit international flight, I was asked if I wanted to go to the Carnivore.

Staying at places in Sth Africa has been no problem, when I arrived at Africa on foot they asked, did things well and passed the information onto Nthambo Camp where I was staying next.

I hope that does not include game meat of dwarf antelope origin?

My wife has very strict dietary requirements - strict vegetarian with no eggs or animal fats. On top of this she does not eat onions or garlic (for religious reasons).

But we've never had a problem on safari - the food has always been amazing and puts most top restaurants to shame when they are faced with the same restrictions in ingredients.

1 person likes this

Even almost 5 years later, that's rather funny. Who says vegetarians don't have a sense of humor? Maybe the couple of Canadian Bacon slices I had from lunch box on the last safari have aided that sense of humor.

I cook a mean and very hot vegetarian Firehouse Chili. So if anyone is passing the HQ and doesn't eat meat, I know what to rustle up. Just bring wine...

1 person likes this

I would tell places well in advance that you are vegan to get enough for brunch you will need more grain, fruit, perhaps some cooked vegetables, since the yoghurt is out.

BTW since I have had to take vitamin D pills I have largely eliminated diary products on cost grounds, the pills also includes calcium.